Woo6 versus Doge 6210 shootout
May 21, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw cotdt, where's your OMZ vs Zapfiltered ZL review? Please don't let me wait another day!
biggrin.gif

let's just say they sounded completely different! johnsonad is writing the shootout right now =)

May 21, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #18 of 38
For an upgraded redbook source I prefer a Music Hall CD25.2 with sacdmods or, for a little more money, the Underwood mods. A new player (bought elsewhere) with full tilt mods, upgraded clock and zapfilter from sacdmods costs less than a stock Rega Saturn, more bang for your buck in other words. You can bet that within the next few months a new modded Music Hall CD25.2 will temporarily cure my acute case of upgraditis.

May 21, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #20 of 38
I just tried to clean up this thread. This is not a place to air dirty laundry. If you have a problem with the quality of the product deal with the person responsible, post negative feedback if it is justified. This thread is about a comparison of two amps, lets keep it that way.

May 21, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried to clean up this thread. This is not a place to air dirty laundry. If you have a problem with the quality of the product deal with the person responsible, post negative feedback if it is justified. This thread is about a comparison of two amps, lets keep it that way.

Thank you thank you thank you! I actually found this comparison interesting but then it got into the tired argument and TOTALLY derailed the thread.

Very much appreciated, Tyrion!!

So - back to the topic at hand. I'm interested in hearing about the build qualities of these two amps in comparison to each other. Also, can you comment about how they sounded in their stock configurations before tube rolling?

May 21, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So - back to the topic at hand. I'm interested in hearing about the build qualities of these two amps in comparison to each other. Also, can you comment about how they sounded in their stock configurations before tube rolling?

I would say the Woo6 probably has the better build quality from the looks of it. Then again, there's nothing wrong with the Doge's build quality either, at least on the amp that I got. The stock Doge comes with Chinese tubes I've never even heard of, they sound decent but the NOS tubes are much better. The best 5751s and EL84s are pretty cheap so tube-rolling isn't a problem. I never heard the stock Woo6 but Aaron got his amp from Jack already with NOS RCAs. He still replaced the rectifier tube, which are super expensive. The Doge uses solid state rectification so that's one less aspect to worry about. After hearing the cost of decent rectifier tubes, I've decided that all my future tube amps will have SS rectification.

May 21, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He still replaced the rectifier tube, which are super expensive. The Doge uses solid state rectification so that's one less aspect to worry about. After hearing the cost of decent rectifier tubes, I've decided that all my future tube amps will have SS rectification.

Not sure where he purchased his tubes from but 5U4G's are pretty run of the mill when it comes to rectification. Sure, you can go crazy and spend $80 on one if you want but you can get nice NOS tubes for under $30 and Chinese tubes for $10 all day long. Heck here's 5 tested Russian tubes for $35. My Wheatfield uses the same rectifier and personally I've never spent more than $30 on even nice NOS versions of the tube, call me crazy but I just don't see it having that big an impact. And there's also a very good practical use for tube rectification, as I understand it tube rectification allows for a much slower rise of B+ which can be very helpful for the life of your tubes. Just something to consider for your future tube amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure where he purchased his tubes from but 5U4G's are pretty run of the mill when it comes to rectification. Sure, you can go crazy and spend $80 on one if you want but you can get nice NOS tubes for under $30 and Chinese tubes for $10 all day long. Heck here's 5 tested Russian tubes for $35. My Wheatfield uses the same rectifier and personally I've never spent more than $30 on even nice NOS versions of the tube, call me crazy but I just don't see it having that big an impact. And there's also a very good practical use for tube rectification, as I understand it tube rectification allows for a much slower rise of B+ which can be very helpful for the life of your tubes. Just something to consider for your future tube amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I couldn't imagine the rectifier tubes making that big of a difference, but Aaron said it made a huge difference and I beleive him because I always find that he is right whenever he says things make a huge difference. I guess the cheaper rectifier tubes have "sag." Thus, he got the nice and expensive tubes. But hey, is the cost of the $$$ rectifier tubes really worth a slightly longer life for the output tubes? SS still looks more attractive
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #25 of 38
Sorry to go in a different direction, but...

Since you guys both listened to the 2 amps with the Ath-ad2000 (and said they both sounded the same), how would you describe the synergy between the 2 amps and the phones?

May 21, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thus, he got the nice and expensive tubes. But hey, is the cost of the $$$ rectifier tubes really worth a slightly longer life for the output tubes? SS still looks more attractive
smily_headphones1.gif

That's one of those things that only the individual can answer, clearly in your case it leans towards the SS option. To each their own.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by papomaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to go in a different direction, but...

Since you guys both listened to the 2 amps with the Ath-ad2000 (and said they both sounded the same), how would you describe the synergy between the 2 amps and the phones?

the synergy with the AD2000 is very good, since the AD2000 is very similar to the AKG K701, maybe slightly darker but more bassy. And everyone knows that these tube amps have great synergy with the K701s. These headphones are 40ohms which these amps drive easily. The amps make the headphones sound solid and full-bodied, and tonally neutral. The midrange is sweet and "blooms" while there is no sibilance to speak of. So yes, there is great synergy. In fact I'm listening to the AD2000s right now on my Doge and it's downright addictive. I prefer it over the K701s, although the soundstage is not as gigantic. Tube amps in general have a small soundstage but with these phones it still works out well. With Grados you can expect everything to sound in your head.

May 21, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's one of those things that only the individual can answer, clearly in your case it leans towards the SS option. To each their own.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you send me your Millet Hybrid MAX, I'll be happy to add it to the comparo
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, where's that Zhaolu comparo?
wink.gif

they are completely different! it's a matter of preference. johnsonad has a lot of thoughts on it and will be posting a comparo pretty soon. or you can PM him and ask if you're impatient.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back