woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options
Jul 22, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #61 of 161
Bugle Boys are always fun in one way or another. They are just cool and one of neatest tubes to looks at. Just be careful with the printing as it can be messed easily and turns light brown with use from the original white. If not white when purchased it is normally used.

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #62 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by JZImages /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nevermind, got myself one of these:

867703192_732d636e28_o.jpg

Good choice,love my bugle boy,made a BIG difference.

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #63 of 161
I agree a good Bungle Boy is a near perfect match to the WA6. I have one, and thought - this is it !

Until the arrival of the metal base Philips, the Bungle Boy is "the tube" for my WA6. It is that good.

F. LO

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #64 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until the arrival of the metal base Philips, the Bungle Boy is "the tube" for my WA6. It is that good.

F. LO

Don't say that! LOL! When I was making the decision I was playing with the idea of just going all out and get the metal base. Decided not to. I want to try other stuff first before the metal base.

I must say it got my hair standing when I was playing some Red Hot Chili Peppers and I only had about 2 hours on it.

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #65 of 161
Quote:

When I was making the decision I was playing with the idea of just going all out and get the metal base. Decided not to. I want to try other stuff first before the metal base.

X2. Part of the fun with WA6 is the journey of exploration associated with use of different tubes. I bought my metal base shortly after the arrival of WA6, but hesitated to put it on, until I took time to listen to the stock tubes, then the Mullards (2 different labels), then the Amperex, then some 5U4G.... and putting in the metal base is like climbing to the peak, and what a fascinating journey it was !

F. Lo

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #66 of 161
I am using a Sylvania 5U4G right now (a nice older ST tube) and the sound is very enjoyable. I like it with clasical music. The strings are sweet and sound like violins or cellos and percussion is very good. I think the metal base is the best but I also enjoy the other sounds from different rectifiers, like being in different halls or venues.

I think we should all get some cryoed rectifiers and 6ED7/6EW7 tubes.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #67 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we should all get some cryoed rectifiers and 6ED7/6EW7 tubes.

John, I agree and am always tempted to do this. But for those of us located in Asia finding a cryo service provider to entrust him with a rare and expensive tube is a lot of risk.... I did think about sending a whole lot to Brad at Revelation Audio Labs - but the packing and shipment cost plus insurance was just prohibitively expensive......

So, it is easier said than done for me
frown.gif

If someone has a cyro'd rectifier for sale (Mullard, Metal Base, or Amperex) please let me know. This may be another peak after the top
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #68 of 161
I have cryoed my 6de7's (syl ge rca).Cryoset.com did them and it takes a week to bring them down and up.Same sound character as stock tubes but they blossom.

The rca is the one tube that needs burn in. Sounds like its on steroids but is slowly settleing.

Jul 24, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #69 of 161
I would like to cryo an intire amp. That to me would be interesting. I know some have cryoed transformers and different parts but why not just do the whole thing? Yes it would not be cheap but I would still like to hear the change, if any. A portable of the Xin Reference sq would be a good one to try and the weight would be more affordable.

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #71 of 161
I don't know if it would swell or burst. I have caps that have been frozen and are fine but I am not sure. It would be interesting I think to freeze the caps also. Cryoed Black Gates, extreme.

Jul 25, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #72 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have cryoed my 6de7's (syl ge rca).Cryoset.com did them and it takes a week to bring them down and up.Same sound character as stock tubes but they blossom.

The rca is the one tube that needs burn in. Sounds like its on steroids but is slowly settleing.

Can you guys educate me about cryoing? What the benefits are since cryoset.com is based about 40 minutes from me. Can I still freeze a tube that's been used?

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #73 of 161
Quote:

Can you guys educate me about cryoing? What the benefits are since cryoset.com is based about 40 minutes from me. Can I still freeze a tube that's been used?

There web site is loaded with all you need to know.

Aug 3, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #75 of 161
Anyone here ever try one of these?
gt.jpg

Groove Tubes 5AR4 Solid State Replacement Module
"Replace your tube rectifier with a solid state module. A great module for giving your tube amp a little boost. This little gem will increase response and add a bit more punch by providing more power to the tubes and faster power delivery to the plates."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back