woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options
Aug 3, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #76 of 161
They don't provide for the slow warm up of the tubes and hit them pretty fast with current. Also you will be listening to a solid state rectification and most likely not the highest quality. The voltage drop won't be as much so your 6DE7 will be seeing a higher voltage. Bass could be tighter but hard to say. The more "punch" is because you are running everything at a higher voltage. This could be fine or not depending upon how close to max the tubes are being run. Try it out and let us know.

Aug 3, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #77 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't provide for the slow warm up of the tubes and hit them pretty fast with current. Also you will be listening to a solid state rectification and most likely not the highest quality. The voltage drop won't be as much so your 6DE7 will be seeing a higher voltage. Bass could be tighter but hard to say. The more "punch" is because you are running everything at a higher voltage. This could be fine or not depending upon how close to max the tubes are being run. Try it out and let us know.

Thanks for the feedback jamato8! I realize that it won't give me the kind of sound/music that I bought the WA6 for, but for 14 bucks, I thought I would experiment with one on a little Rock/Reggae. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't blow up my amp! I quess I can take a chance on a couple of 6DE7's!

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #78 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdRock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback jamato8! I realize that it won't give me the kind of sound/music that I bought the WA6 for, but for 14 bucks, I thought I would experiment with one on a little Rock/Reggae. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't blow up my amp! I quess I can take a chance on a couple of 6DE7's!

Ask wooaudio what they think about it, and if it is safe to use.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #79 of 161
Ok, just got my Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 today.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to make quite so big a difference. It really does transform this amp from a really, really good amp, into a great one.

I think it improves on just about all aspects of the sound, but probably most notably in the impact of the bass, soundstage and overall clarity. In fact, I'm not sure that I would like this tube with HD650s - might be a little too bass heavy for me? But, with my HD600s, it sounds spectacular!

Can the metal base really be that much better? And, if so, in what way?

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #80 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, just got my Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 today.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to make quite so big a difference. It really does transform this amp from a really, really good amp, into a great one.

I think it improves on just about all aspects of the sound, but probably most notably in the impact of the bass, soundstage and overall clarity. In fact, I'm not sure that I would like this tube with HD650s - might be a little too bass heavy for me? But, with my HD600s, it sounds spectacular!

Can the metal base really be that much better? And, if so, in what way?

All

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #81 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All

Geez, great!
wink.gif
Well, I'll try to enjoy this tube for a little while anyway, before give in to the upgrade urge.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #82 of 161
Has anybody tried a Western Electric 422a Full Wave Rectifier in their WA6?
I am interested in how this tube sounds compared to the GZ34 Metal Base.
422a.jpg

Western Electric 422a (5U4GB)

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #84 of 161
Does anyone know what the designed heater current allowance is for the rectifier? I have asked a few tube suppliers and they say that the GZ32 and GZ34 are 1 amp but the GZ33 and GZ37 are 2.5 amp and would cook the mains transformer?

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #85 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know what the designed heater current allowance is for the rectifier? I have asked a few tube suppliers and they say that the GZ32 and GZ34 are 1 amp but the GZ33 and GZ37 are 2.5 amp and would cook the mains transformer?

Forget about the GZ33 & GZ37! Get a Mullard 5V4/GZ32 or a Brimar 5R4GY.
Both are better sounding and not hazardous to your transformer.

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #86 of 161
plate/heater current max:

gz34 1.9A
gz32 2.3A
gz33 2.8A
gz37 2.8A
5u4g 3.0A
274b 2.0A
5r4gy 2.0A
gz30 2.0A

jack told me the 5u4g, gz33 and gz37 will not
harm the wa-6...asking him may be the best
way to go if you're uncertain.

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #87 of 161
I just wanted to toss out a little speed bump on linear ranking the rectifiers. While there is certainly jumps in overall quality, it's probably obvious, but they don't all scale equally with all phones. I haven't found the tubes that sound best with the HD650 are the same as with the GS1000. And although I really like the GZ34 Browns in almost every respect, if I was inclined towards a bit more tubey/midrange bumped sound or listened to more Rock, an aggressive as hell military GE 5R4GYA Brown (this one one is marked "Main Organ") may win. And I have a soft spot for the Tung-Sol 5U4GB. Another Head-Fier was kind enough to lend me some rectifiers and it's been a blast to run through some workouts. The GZ34s though are certainly very very nice.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #88 of 161
From everything I have read, the GZ32 has a smoother, euphonic, more stereotypical "tube" sound - slightly rolled off (less impact) at both frequency extremes. I think the GZ33 or GZ34 would be preferable (for me). If the GZ33 could harm the amp though, the GZ34 might be the ticket.

Other than the Mullard GZ34 (black or brown base) and the Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 which I have seen recommended, what other NOS GZ34's would you guys recommend?

Cheers,
X

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #89 of 161
Anyone have experience with the 5V4? I'm listening to an old Sylvania (dug from a large box of miscellaneous tubes I salved from Jet Propulsion Laboratory 20 years ago... some interesting items, but not many I recognize except 6SN7 from the high-end world, although I don't recall numbers well). Just gets better as it warms up!

Compared with the Sovtek 5U4G which came with my otherwise stock WA6, the Sylvania 5V4 has a flatter treble, more extended on top, less rolled off, with a better balance bottom to top. Treble is more finely delineated and realistic. Both lower bass and upper treble sound less rolled off.

Also, the midrange remains glorious but not quite as meaty, less bloated in the "power band", and a bit more transparent. I get a slight increase in separation of instruments, something the stock unit doesn't do as well, I'm sure, as the premium-caps version. The punch and addictive pleasure is still there, but less of the slight glossed-over quality of the Sovtek. (I imagine I'll upgrade caps at some point, myself or Jack).

I was bummed not to find more usable tubes in my box, such as 6DE7, 6EW7, and the long list of tubes I've seen mentioned as rectifiers.

If anyone knows of a good auction or supplier for tubes that help extend the bandwidth and bring in a bit more detail and imaging, please post a link! Same with do-it-yourself capacitor replacements. Hell, I can solder just fine!

By the way, here is my checklist of tubes mentioned in these threads. What have I missed?

Sovtek 5U4G came stock

5AR4/GZ34 (metal base recommended)
GZ33
GZ37/CV378
5AS4
5R4/WGA/WGB
5R4/FA/GA/GB/GY/GYA/GYB
5R4R Mullard
5U4G/U52
5U4GA
5U4GB (Western Electric 422a)
5U4WG
5V4/5V4G/GZ32/CV593
CV5745
U52
U54
CV575
CV1377
VT-244
274B

6dE7
6EW7 slim bottle, or adapter

For those new to the subject:
woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options - philips metalbase or any other metal base 5ar4/gz34 are very dynamic
Tube gurus, please impart your wisdom - 6de7 is a dissimiliar twin triode
WA6 Tube Rolling - 6DE7 sound will depend upon when it was made
Woo 6 with images of the 6EW7 - To quote Jack,...
WA6 Tube Rolling - All the metal based tubes I seen on ebay are going at 160s +
Woo Audio 2 - interesting 6DE7 versions
woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options - Page 2 - input stage of the 6de7 only has a gain/ amplification factor of 17
Upgraded Woo Audio 6? - more on narrow diameter 6ew7
HOLY WOO: Impressions of WA6 retrofitted w/ full upgrades - Page 2 - 6DE7 vs 6EW7
I've been Wooed... - Page 2 - 6DE7 one prefers will be chosen from GE/ RCA / Raytheon / Tung Sol or Sylvania
woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options - fairly complete list of rectifiers
woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options - Page 5 - summary
WooAudio6 for driving K701 - good choice? - tube summary
I've been Wooed... - WA6 pix and another tube summary
HOLY WOO: Impressions of WA6 retrofitted w/ full upgrades - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
WooAudio6 arrived - first impressions - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
woo6 owners: what tubes? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
Woo 6 is HEEEEEERE!!!! v [PICS] - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
WooAudio WA6 mods - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
WooAudio6 Tube Amplifier Full Review - Part I - Page 2 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
5R4GY good and cheap
Upgraded Woo Audio 6? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #90 of 161
Fantastic compilation, thanks. Just to answer my own question above, got a reply from Jack about the GZ33:

"Feel free to use the GZ33 on the WA6 which has has sufficient current to drive the tube."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back