Woo Wes or BHSE
Feb 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 161

tiga3mata

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just bought a Stax O2 Mk1. I have zero knowledge and experience about electrostats and their power requirements. I have limited opportunities to audition system combinations. I don't have the time or the patience for a slow upgrade route. I just like to buy a combo that produces very good music that I can live with for a very long time (I call this the buy and forget route... I can't afford repeated upgrades)

I have been reading extensively about the different combos for the Stax O2 and very much respects the opinion of members with much longer experience and deeper knowledge. My apologies if I have missed any relevant post. I get the impression that these 2 production models are regarded as being the best match for the O2s and they costs about the same.

I would appreciate opinions of any members who had the privilege to listen to the O2s out of both amps as to their strength and weakness including, if possible, the issue of running costs ie. tube replacement costs.

Thank you in advance for your opinions, they will be treated with respect and appreciation.

Happy Year of the Tiger to all!

Rgds,
Leo

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 161
Leo,

HeadphoneAddict has heard both and posted his comments on The Stax thread (New) in the High-end Audio Forum. He does a good job of describing the particular aspects of each and comparing and contrasting each.

I am a big fan of Woo (I have a GES) and once funds permit, I plan on buying the WES.

Good luck.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 161
I think very few people have heard both, and probably none that have heard both outside of a meet setting, which isn't the best place for picking up on the nuances of high-end gear. I have and love the BHSE as the best O2 amp I've heard. I really respect Woo's amps, but have no experience with the WES.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 161
I'd say a significant (in this case) factor is availability or lack there of. The Woo WES will have a much much shorter lead time if you are looking to get an amp soon, which I would assume you are, given that you just bought the Stax.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 161
Boomana is correct. My experience has been Meet only.

For me with my O2's I have to give the nod to the WES.

BHSE had a huge sound to me, but the soundstage was not as well defined.

WES had soundstage done right for me. Tons of detail and many layers in the presentation.

Nothing I have heard has made me give up my SP ES-1 yet.

Cheers,

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 161
to my knowledge, no one has been fortunate enough to spend significant amounts of time with both of these amps

I love both of these amps dearly, but sided with the WES thanks to an improved soundstage, as well as what I perceived to be a VERY slightly tinny sound via the BHSE. someday, I hope to own both
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 161
I've heard both amps (on separate sources) but have heard the WES only in audio show conditions (RMAF 2009) so I won't comment further. For the OII, the BHSE might make more sense though as it was designed for them.

Another equally important factor to consider is the source component that you'll be using in this system. You definitely don't want to lessen either the amp or the OII by using a less than stellar source.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the OII, the BHSE might make more sense though as it was designed for them.

AFAIK, the BHSE was not designed around any headphone. instead, it was simply built to offer extreme voltage swing around a purely dc-coupled signal path. i could be wrong, though...

also may I ask then, which headphones do you suppose the WES was "designed for"?

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 161
"extreme voltage swing around a purely dc-coupled signal path" sounds like something that Dr. Gilmore probably said about the original BH circuit if I had to guess.
wink.gif
Regardless, I didn't literally mean that a single amp was designed for the OII, moreso to indicate the fact that Justin used the OII MKII when designing the BHSE and I think he now has the MKI instead.

Only Jack at Woo Audio can answer your question, no need for idle speculation.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leo,

HeadphoneAddict has heard both and posted his comments on The Stax thread (New) in the High-end Audio Forum. He does a good job of describing the particular aspects of each and comparing and contrasting each.

I am a big fan of Woo (I have a GES) and once funds permit, I plan on buying the WES.

Good luck.

Thanks Johnnie, Headphone Addict seems to be the only comparison of any detail so far. I get the impression that he prefers the WES.... by a tiny bit...

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 161
afaik some of singaporean have blue hawaii paired with omega 2. its not bhse but the original blue hawaii . You might want to hook up with the owner for audition. sound wise, there should be not much difference between original blue hawaii and bhse. for WES, closest you can find a person that own it in the region is fcklo and he is in HK.

btw, how much you bought the o2 ? and where did you get it?

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think very few people have heard both, and probably none that have heard both outside of a meet setting, which isn't the best place for picking up on the nuances of high-end gear. I have and love the BHSE as the best O2 amp I've heard. I really respect Woo's amps, but have no experience with the WES.

Hi Boomana, it is tricky buying equipments without a proper audition especially when a fair sum of money is involved. Maybe you can share with me your opinion of a Woo Ges or a KGSS vs the 2 I am currently considering. Is there a significant sonic difference?

My long term plan is to build 3 quality systems around dynamic, orthodynamic and electrostatics. I started with acquiring the K1000 for dynamics.The amplification will be sorted at a later date (preferably one that can drive both K1000s and a as yet unidentified orthodynamic).

Currently, my focus is on the electrostats. Like most, I dream about an Opheus but admittedly, that is equipment lust. How does your O2 + BHSE compare with the HE + HEV 90?

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #14 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by forbigger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
afaik some of singaporean have blue hawaii paired with omega 2. its not bhse but the original blue hawaii . You might want to hook up with the owner for audition. sound wise, there should be not much difference between original blue hawaii and bhse. for WES, closest you can find a person that own it in the region is fcklo and he is in HK.

btw, how much you bought the o2 ? and where did you get it?

Hi forbigger, do you any idea if he/she is a member in headfi? I just bought mine from 3x331 at his asking price.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #15 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say a significant (in this case) factor is availability or lack there of. The Woo WES will have a much much shorter lead time if you are looking to get an amp soon, which I would assume you are, given that you just bought the Stax.

This is real useful info. I read somewhere that a member had to wait 18months for his BHSE.... while Jack indicated a leadtime of 4 weeks for the WES, definitely food for thought.

DO you have any idea about tube replacement costs for either unit? The WES seem to have a much longer tube list..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back