Woo WA3
Aug 7, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
I'm thinking about going for a WA3. I want an affordable tube amp to pair with my Beyer T1's, and to a lesser extent the HD650's. I'm glad to hear people seem happy with this amp. I am trying to convince myself that I don't need to get a WA2, lol. Money is tight. But I've always wanted to try a tube amp (only ever SS), and the Woo sounds like a good product.

Does anyone recommend the upgrade tubes that Jack recommends on his site?

Jack has the Sylvania 7236 down. I prefer the Tung Sol 5998 over the Tung Sol 7236. You just mix and match and find the ones you like most :) I'm hooked.

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #18 of 31
This is a great thread!
I have a general questions for WA3 vs WA6; I just ordered my first Woo WA3 stock tubes only with preamp option. I can compare the specs side by side, http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf,  its almost same, and price is also exactly the same $699 with the preamp option on with WA3. Yet, I am wondering what's the difference with WA6 in terms of user/sound experience? Why Woo Audio made two very similar single-ended triode tube amps? First thing I notice is that WA6 is little heavier, got more power outputs, and starts from 8 Ohm for headphone impedance compared to 30 Ohms for WA3, so WA6 should be better for sensitive IEMs, but I don't use IEMs (that's one reason I got WA3). And I see that the tube setups are different between the two. I wish Woo Audio adds some power/driver diagrams to compare among their products for those who are interested in their electronics design. I can go back and force among their products, but its little difficult to compare them quickly.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #20 of 31
  This is a great thread!
I have a general questions for WA3 vs WA6; I just ordered my first Woo WA3 stock tubes only with preamp option. I can compare the specs side by side, http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf,  its almost same, and price is also exactly the same $699 with the preamp option on with WA3. Yet, I am wondering what's the difference with WA6 in terms of user/sound experience? Why Woo Audio made two very similar single-ended triode tube amps? First thing I notice is that WA6 is little heavier, got more power outputs, and starts from 8 Ohm for headphone impedance compared to 30 Ohms for WA3, so WA6 should be better for sensitive IEMs, but I don't use IEMs (that's one reason I got WA3). And I see that the tube setups are different between the two. I wish Woo Audio adds some power/driver diagrams to compare among their products for those who are interested in their electronics design. I can go back and force among their products, but its little difficult to compare them quickly.

The preamp option is worth it's weight in gold.
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #21 of 31
Have new pair of 650s and thinking of this amp or a Feliks Elise. Would the WA3 still do a good job with lower impedencw HPs? Ether C is a possible future purchase.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #22 of 31
Have new pair of 650s and thinking of this amp or a Feliks Elise. Would the WA3 still do a good job with lower impedencw HPs? Ether C is a possible future purchase.

I'm in the same  boat as you.  I have heard good things about the WA3, but the Schiit Valhalla 2 was designed specifically for the HD650s and some people say great things about it also. According to specs the Valhalla 2 has more power and has less noise than the WA3. The Valhalla 2 is only $350 vs. $600.  For $100 more you can get the Schiit Modi 2 DAC to match it with the Valhalla 2 and still is less money than the WA3.

WA3 = 330mW @300 Ohms
Valhalla 2 = 800mW @300 Ohms

WA3= $600
Valhalla 2 $350

WA3= No preamp ($100 more to add the preamp about $700 to match the Valhalla 2 option)
Valhalla 2 =Comes with a preamp

The HD650 to sound good and shine really need a good after market cable, a good tube amp, a good source and good recordings, otherwise they sound like any other $20 ~ $50  headphone.

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #23 of 31
I realise that there are other Woo threads (https://head-fi.org/threads/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite.428570/) - all 2665 pages of it currently!

But it is strange to me that this one dedicated to the WA3 has been dead for so long - so here's a resurrection post.

I have been looking for some different output tubes and came across these, which I think is a very lucky find.

NOS and closely matched Philips E288CC SQ, Made in Holland, and at a very good price as well.
They test exceptionally well, as can be seen on the boxes.

I am awaiting further photos and confirmation of manufacture date.

Any opinions or impressions from folks who may have experience with these? Worth the money?

IMG_8055.jpg

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #28 of 31
Oh my...I’m so overwhelmed. Doing research for days...and not even knowing what an ohm really is...I’m looking at the HEDD

https://www.hedd.audio/

Not sure if this would pair well
If you're relatively new to Head Fi stick to what has been proven to work.
The WA3 is best paired with high impedance headphones like the HD600/650.
Perfect starting point, in fact you probably won't need to go much further than those.

Spend $200 on a pair of 6XX from the Drop and you've not risked much.

Mar 23, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #30 of 31
I’m not new new. Came in and left for a while.
now trying to find a nice end game setup

The hedd AMT are what I’m looking to power
I haven't read any reviews of the HEDD yet, but at 42 Ohm perhaps not best driven by an OTL tube amp.
That said, some other low impedance cans DO sound good on the WA3 (HFM HE560) so try before you buy if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back