WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
May 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #406 of 2,600
Quote:

Listen for a week or two then switch back to what you had before. That can sometimes be more dramatic. Another thing, which was one of my first experiences with higher-quality hi-fi than what I was used to is that the better clarity isn't a dramatic experience. If anything it can be an anti-climax. It's not the same as going from cheap IEMs to ones with great, thumping bass, which is very noticeable. Some people buy different or better headphones or gear for the greater thump in the bass, others (like myself) for clarity (and maybe a bit of an extra kick in the bass too sometimes). Better gear will not have any harshness that makes listening for long periods irritating, which some cheaper gear has. Good gear makes you stop thinking about the gear and notice the music. 

That is an excellent description that my own experience mirrors. Greater clarity, lower distortion, reduced or eliminated listening fatigue. Then listen to lesser gear and the loss of those attributes is more dramatic. I have been spending much more time recreationally listening to my library since putting together the WA7 and T90 combination. Alternate for me is WA3+ with 2399/5998 tube and either T90 or HD800. So much music, so little time. I record and edit voice as part of my day job and spend a lot of time working using Benchmark DAC1, Violectric V800 and V200 with various headphones. Very sensitized to listening fatigue. Until the last couple of years and the dramatic improvement in headphones and amps, I could not listen recreationally after ten hours of audio work day.

May 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #407 of 2,600
Honestly, I don't know I can justify these purchases because it was not a night and day difference to me. Perhaps its because my ears are untrained and I don't know what I should be looking out for? Most of the time I'm listening to music while working on my computer so I won't notice every detail unless I'm concentrating only on the music. From lurking around these forums, I've learned that sound is subjective from person to person. I wish sound was as blatant has computer graphics settings low, medium and high. But one thing for sure I can say is that I definitely like open headphones over closed. I've had a pair of high end gaming closed headphones before and I hate the way the sound echos.

Listen for a week or two then switch back to what you had before. That can sometimes be more dramatic. Another thing, which was one of my first experiences with higher-quality hi-fi than what I was used to is that the better clarity isn't a dramatic experience. If anything it can be an anti-climax. It's not the same as going from cheap IEMs to ones with great, thumping bass, which is very noticeable. Some people buy different or better headphones or gear for the greater thump in the bass, others (like myself) for clarity (and maybe a bit of an extra kick in the bass too sometimes). Better gear will not have any harshness that makes listening for long periods irritating, which some cheaper gear has. Good gear makes you stop thinking about the gear and notice the music. 

The trick for testing gear comes down to understanding the flaws inherent in what you're trying to do. For a start, you can't just flip a switch and go from A to B instantly so you can't do a comparison between the two directly. As such you are left comparing mental impressions which is extremely difficult. Make your job easier by choosing a set of songs you're familiar with, preferably with instruments that you are familiar with, and then listen to that playlist for a few hours. Make notes about where it's harsh, where it's flat, where you hear things just on the edges. Write down your impressions but also let yourself just feel the music. Then do it again with the new components. Listen to the same songs, do you hear those fringe instruments and sounds? Are they more or less pronounced? Should they be?

When I got my first set of really nice headphones I was listening to a track that I was used to being quite harsh at one point. I got there but instead of harsh it was just clear and smooth. No pain. It was beautiful. Then, later, in another song I heard an oboe in the background that I'd never known was there. This from a song I'd heard hundreds of times before.

Of course, the down side was that all my bad audio sounded equally worse as the good stuff sounded better. Which is why almost all of my audio is now lossless, some of it is high res and none of it is below 256 kbps.

And I'm still looking to improve.

May 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #408 of 2,600
^^^  This is a great way of comparing. 
smile_phones.gif

I have 2 ways that I compare both headphones, headphone amps, DACs, etc, as well as different CD versions (masterings).  I do try and do quick A/B testing when it's possible.  Have to remember to try and normalize the volume between headphones as much as possible.  (The louder one will usually sound "better".)  But after quick A/B tests, I just "live" with each component over longer time periods.  Is everything balanced?  Anything sticking out too much?  Too bright?  Too muffled?  Too much low end?  Too fatiguing?  Etc.

The funny thing is that I've been listening to the WA7/O2 DAC/RS2i combo for about 3 weeks now.  I was supposed to switch a while back to the Q701, but I'm just having so much fun with this combo that I haven't bothered switching yet.  Haven't even tried the WA7's DAC ...

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #410 of 2,600
Aqvox arrived with a rattling 220-110 transformer with some broken plastic somewhere inside.  Is a bit of a wanky setup actually needing a cable to the transformer to another cable to the power supply.  The usb connector is not a tight fit either.  Thinking a high quality usb hub might have been the better option.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #411 of 2,600
Hi all,

Just got my WA7 for about a week now.  I am pairing it with my T1.  I have been hearing some static on and off which I didn't hear with my sound blaster ZX before.  Anyone here has experience similar situation?

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #412 of 2,600
Ordered my black WA7 last week and it shipped earlier today. No 2-3 week wait, awesome.

Also ordered the TH600 to go along with it. Seeing if anyone can comment if the stock tubes or the upgrade EH tubes would go better.

Doesn't seem like there's many detailed impressions between the tubes out their outside of mrbigsby's review.

Don't want to miss out on any gains but also ok with not blowing $100 if the improvement is subtle.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #413 of 2,600
Hello, i would like to ask what the expected life time of the gold tubes are? i'm going to order a WA7, but since i live in Europe i have to order a lot of tubes with it to avoid shipping costs!.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #414 of 2,600
Quote:
Hello, i would like to ask what the expected life time of the gold tubes are? i'm going to order a WA7, but since i live in Europe i have to order a lot of tubes with it to avoid shipping costs!.

From Woo Audio FAQ:

How long do vacuum tubes last?

Vacuum tubes used in our products last between 5000-9000 hours. Driver tubes (smaller tubes) generally last up to 9000 hours.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #417 of 2,600
Quote:
Ordered my black WA7 last week and it shipped earlier today. No 2-3 week wait, awesome.

Also ordered the TH600 to go along with it. Seeing if anyone can comment if the stock tubes or the upgrade EH tubes would go better.

Doesn't seem like there's many detailed impressions between the tubes out their outside of mrbigsby's review.

Don't want to miss out on any gains but also ok with not blowing $100 if the improvement is subtle.

I've had this combo for the past couple days. Personally, I find EH gold tubes to provide a much more neutral & detailed listening experience (if not a tad bright with the TH600s at times). I only tried the stock Sovteks for about a half an hour and in that short listening session, they felt somewhat dull to me. They do add a bit of warmth and smoothness to the overall signature, which I enjoy... but I think I prefer the qualities of the EH golds. I'm dac-less at the moment too so I've just been listening via USB (Neo Oyaide Class S cable) into the WA7 dac. It'll be a couple weeks until I get my dacs back, and I expect that the sound of the EH golds will be a bit smoother with them. Need to do some more listening with different types of music, but IMHO, the EH golds provide a noticeable difference and are worth the $100 if not to at least be able to try how they each match with different cans. Keep in mind, most of my listening was done with various types of electronica so the experience may be different with jazz or heavy vocals. My gear isn't quite broken in yet either.

I also want to try the WA7 with the LCD-2 when I get the chance. I'm pretty sure I'm going to prefer the EH golds with the LCD-2.3s since they're a bit on the darker, full bodied side already.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #418 of 2,600
Quote:

I've had this combo for the past couple days. Personally, I find EH gold tubes to provide a much more neutral & detailed listening experience (if not a tad bright with the TH600s at times). I only tried the stock Sovteks for about a half an hour and in that short listening session, they felt somewhat dull to me. They do add a bit of warmth and smoothness to the overall signature, which I enjoy... but I think I prefer the qualities of the EH golds. I'm dac-less at the moment too so I've just been listening via USB (Neo Oyaide Class S cable) into the WA7 dac. It'll be a couple weeks until I get my dacs back, and I expect that the sound of the EH golds will be a bit smoother with them. Need to do some more listening with different types of music, but IMHO, the EH golds provide a noticeable difference and are worth the $100 if not to at least be able to try how they each match with different cans. Keep in mind, most of my listening was done with various types of electronica so the experience may be different with jazz or heavy vocals. My gear isn't quite broken in yet either.

I also want to try the WA7 with the LCD-2 when I get the chance. I'm pretty sure I'm going to prefer the EH golds with the LCD-2.3s since they're a bit on the darker, full bodied side already.

thanks for the impressions, will be interested to hear more. the EH seems like it would be suited for the LCD-2's sig.

decided to order it. never tube rolled and this is basically the only opportunity for this amp. best to see myself how much i can gain. at worst ill have a backup pair of tubes.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #420 of 2,600
Got my Electro Harmonic tubes today and have 3 hours on them by now and wondering if i will hear any difference after longer burn-in time?  Cause at this moment i prefer stock tubes which have about 100 hours on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back