WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Feb 14, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,801 of 2,600
  @rschoi75 any chance your power supply and wa7 are close together? I notice an audible hum when they are in close proximity to each other... moving them apart solved it for me.

That also includes the TP unit. I find if you put it at least 2 fingers apart, then it should be good. Anything less and there will be some noticeable hum.

dL

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #1,804 of 2,600
Thanks guys - bit early to share too many impressions : just some preliminary testing so far with the stock tubes but I'm very much enjoying what I'm hearing. I have plenty of other tubes to roll in, so the journey has just begun.

LCD-2f seem like an excellent pairing - WA7 has brought quite a bit of life to the low end. Very musical and enjoyable, especially using Rega DAC as source, which also has some of those characteristics.

Still, I plan to give the internal DAC a good shot when my Mac comes back from repair, then draw some comparisons.

Jeb.

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #1,805 of 2,600
  @Mercer  sorry for the delay on your WA7tp order.   Should be able to ship yours next week.

@dL. I recommend you to give the Nordost cable a try.  A word of warning though.  You can't unhear it.  My first taste of Nordost was with @Mercer.  He leant me his Heimdall2 RCA cable and said just try these for a week.  Mind you, I was using MIT cable which are not cheap stuff.  Changed life.....  I blame Mercer for getting me hooked.

And there's an important reason I didn't say anything to @HiFiGuy528! No matter what ANYBODY says to me, my opinion is that in the end this is all subjective. We're all experiencing the sound of music! That's art coming at us in sound waves. How ANYTHING be the SAME OR BEST for EVERYBODY?

But, to me. there are few cables as revealing across different systems. And, believe it or not - I prefer Heimdall2 to Valhalla (much more expensive) so its not about the Benjamins to me either - but I think Mike MAY have said it better than me (ya bastid) and I've known Joe Reynolds at Nordost since 1996!!

" I recommend you to give the Nordost cable a try.  A word of warning though.  You can't unhear it"
@HiFiGuy528

This is one of the few products I let certain people try, and the majority get HOOKED. Because, as they're all about science making great sound at Nordost - (and w/ their non-audio client list - w/ people like NASA and the NDA - I don't need to convince anybody) AND Joe Reynolds is a music-addict (it was his old evil partner that went after Norse too BTW - and I'm happy to see the return of Norne) - the stuff just gets the music across.. IMHO...

my last system configuration for my Sonic Satori Impression Sessions - Audezes Transcendant EL-8 - comin SOON at EnjoyTheMusic:

my dear friend Rebekah, who used to work in the high end recording studio biz,
and LOVES LCD-2s and 3s, won't listen w/o my Nrodost Heimdall2 cable now - I actually prefer DHC there...

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,806 of 2,600
Thanks guys - bit early to share too many impressions : just some preliminary testing so far with the stock tubes but I'm very much enjoying what I'm hearing. I have plenty of other tubes to roll in, so the journey has just begun.

LCD-2f seem like an excellent pairing - WA7 has brought quite a bit of life to the low end. Very musical and enjoyable, especially using Rega DAC as source, which also has some of those characteristics.

Still, I plan to give the internal DAC a good shot when my Mac comes back from repair, then draw some comparisons.

Jeb.

Very curious to hear your impress of the WA7 DAC vs the Rega Dac

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,807 of 2,600
Thanks mikemercer more good to know stuff & for perking our interests a little more..

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,808 of 2,600
I finally got my WA7 from the recent massdrop! Installed it and testing it with my HD700 and HD650. Holy crap, this is exhilarating!

A few questions:

1. Is it possible to connect both my 2.0 speaker setup, plus a subwoofer to the WA7? Normally I do this by connecting them to my STX II 7.1

2. Do I use the low-z setting or high-z setting with the HD700, how about the HD650?

Thanks all :)

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #1,809 of 2,600
  I finally got my WA7 from the recent massdrop! Installed it and testing it with my HD700 and HD650. Holy crap, this is exhilarating!

A few questions:

1. Is it possible to connect both my 2.0 speaker setup, plus a subwoofer to the WA7? Normally I do this by connecting them to my STX II 7.1

2. Do I use the low-z setting or high-z setting with the HD700, how about the HD650?

Thanks all 

Yes you can use the RCA outs as a preamp for your speakers, Also congrats on your new amp. With all my headphones I like the low impedance out, just try both see what agrees with you best..

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,810 of 2,600
  Yes you can use the RCA outs as a preamp for your speakers, Also congrats on your new amp. With all my headphones I like the low impedance out, just try both see what agrees with you best..

no, actually you can NOT use the wa7 to power unamped speakers. it doesnt have enough power to drive unpowered speakers. it is designed as a headphone amp.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,811 of 2,600
  no, actually you can NOT use the wa7 as a preamp. it doesnt have enough power to drive unpowered speakers.

You may be right on that but I just read on the Woo site that the rca's act as a preamp..

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,812 of 2,600
  You may be right on that but I just read on the Woo site that the rca's act as a preamp..

sry i miswrote. you can use as a preamp for powered/active speakers, but they will not drive unpowered speakers.

edited my previous post.

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,813 of 2,600
What is this sorcery! No words can describe the emotions flowing out of me right now... the magic it imbued my HD650 with. I've never heard the HD650 in this light. I'm just completely overwhelmed. I now understand why people spend thousands of dollars on this hobby.

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,814 of 2,600
  What is this sorcery! No words can describe the emotions flowing out of me right now... the magic it imbued my HD650 with. I've never heard the HD650 in this light. I'm just completely overwhelmed. I now understand why people spend thousands of dollars on this hobby.

Yeah, the 650's respond very well to tubes. I would recommend the hi impedance output for them, since they're around 300 ohms nominal impedance... but like @abvolt said, try both and see what suits your listening pleasure.

Did you also get the tube power supply? If you did, may I recommend rolling in some NOS Mullard 12au7's...

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,815 of 2,600

The WA7 / HD650 combo is quite tasty.  Rock on.

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back