WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Jan 26, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,681 of 2,601
If you want best sound plus ability to change sound signature using different tubes then get power supply while it still part of the deal

+1
I agree that's the only way to go..

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #1,685 of 2,601

I much rather get the Sony MDR-Z7 instead 
dt880smile.png
 unless your priority is soundstage and treble.

Back to your topic, I think that the Massdrop deal is really too good to pass. I know you haven't tried the 7+7TP, but I have now, and if I had a chance to jump on this Massdrop, I would do it in a heartbeat, unless you also found a deal that you couldn't pass on the HD800.

I've tried A-B'ing the 700 (which I own) vs 800 (in the shop) and to be honest, there wasn't much of a difference. Sure, the soundstage is wider, and there's a bit more detail on the HD800, but it wasn't night-and-day difference and for some reason I could never get accustomed to the sound of the 800's. It just sounds like it's trying too hard to be detailed and overly-wide. Have you considered looking to get another brand to compliment your Sennheiser instead of upgrading?

To me, there's more difference going from the Schiit stack to the Woo Audio than the 700 to the 800. But the difference is in the musicality and the way the WA7 presents the music. No, it's not going to give you a lot more punch or a lot more detail, but it just does it in a way that is so musical. I think it's probably the difference between a full tube design (Woo) vs Hybrid design with tube + solid state (Schiit).

dL

HD700 is more forgiving with lessor quality recordings so I enjoy it more than HD800.  I own both, but only one of each.  :)  Next purchase is Fostex TH500rp and TH600.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,687 of 2,601
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,688 of 2,601
Is the optical input or output? Is it possible to connect opical out from my soundcard (STX II) to the WA7, then the RCA from WA7 to my speakers?

Also, how does the WA7 amp compare to the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball?

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,689 of 2,601
Hi, I just joined the drop from Massdrop but I'm still considering between wa7+wa7tp, OPPO ha-1, burson conductor and Marantz HD-dac1. They are all around 1000 USD(burson conductor has a discount on Amazon). Did anyone compare these amplifiers? I like a little warm sound and my cans are hd600 and K701.

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,690 of 2,601
You can do that already. Just plug in an external DAC to the RCA and switch the toggle to RCA so it bypasses the internal DAC.

Mike, have you tried plugging an external DAC that is within $1000 to the WA7 and A/B? If so, which ones have you tried and what were your impressions?

dL

I've tried and current own a lot of DACs.  I don't want to mention the brands here to respect those manufacturers.  I am confident that a standalone DACs costing as much as WA7 is not more musical or have significantly better sound than the internal DAC on WA7.   We're talking about sound alone, not all the bells and whistles standalone DACs have.  :)

Is the optical input or output? Is it possible to connect opical out from my soundcard (STX II) to the WA7, then the RCA from WA7 to my speakers?

Also, how does the WA7 amp compare to the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball?

WA7d feature optical (TOSLINK) input so out from your sound card would work.  The RCA jacks are input on WA7d so no output to your speakers.  If you need to to act as a DAC, please choose WA7, not WA7d.

Hi, I just joined the drop from Massdrop but I'm still considering between wa7+wa7tp, OPPO ha-1, burson conductor and Marantz HD-dac1. They are all around 1000 USD(burson conductor has a discount on Amazon). Did anyone compare these amplifiers? I like a little warm sound and my cans are hd600 and K701.

Thanks.

Here's a recent review where the reviewer compared WA7 against those you mentioned.

http://hometheaterreview.com/woo-audio-wa7-fireflies-headphone-amplifierdac-reviewed/

Here's another from Head-Fi member @keanex 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/749631/review-woo-audio-wa7-a-very-unscientific-review

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,691 of 2,601
I just did a small comparison with the stock tubes that came with my WA7tp (stock Woo 12AU7 & my vintage mullards CV4003/12AU7). I was going to listen to 3 albums today that I'm very familiar with. I started with the stock woo tubes and could really only bring my self to listening to 3 songs one from each album, and it's because I'd become accustomed to the sound of the mullards.

The stock woo tubes are good but to me unpleasantly harsh with a small sound stage, and I noticed that the bass was very recessed. Whereas the vintage mullards have a large sound stage very smooth with great bass. I was so impressed with this small test I ordered another matched pair just in case. So I guess in conclusion any of you guys who own the Woo WA7tp and are looking for an upgraded tube try the vintage mullards they are really worth your time & money.. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #1,692 of 2,601
  I just did a small comparison with the stock tubes that came with my WA7tp (stock Woo 12AU7 & my vintage mullards CV4003/12AU7). I was going to listen to 3 albums today that I'm very familiar with. I started with the stock woo tubes and could really only bring my self to listening to 3 songs one from each album, and it's because I'd become accustomed to the sound of the mullards.

The stock woo tubes are good but to me unpleasantly harsh with a small sound stage, and I noticed that the bass was very recessed. Whereas the vintage mullards have a large sound stage very smooth with great bass. I was so impressed with this small test I ordered another matched pair just in case. So I guess in conclusion any of you guys who own the Woo WA7tp and are looking for an upgraded tube try the vintage mullards they are really worth your time & money.. 

Great feedback.  Where do you find NOS Mullard CV4003?  

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,693 of 2,601
I got mine from Upscale Audio here's a look --> http://www.upscaleaudio.com/mullard-cv4003-12au7-vintage-new-old-stock/

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #1,695 of 2,601
  I got mine from Upscale Audio here's a look --> http://www.upscaleaudio.com/mullard-cv4003-12au7-vintage-new-old-stock/

Are you guys using matching Tubes for the WA7 and WA7tp when tube rolling? Which makes the most impact on the sound.. rolling the WA7tp tubes or the WA7 tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back