WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Jan 30, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #961 of 2,600
got a chance to spend a couple hours with the cryo reflektors w/ my th600. can't give any definitive since the sound may change but early impressions are as follows.

if the stocks are mid centric and the eh are more u shaped i would put the cryo reflektors somewhere between. they are smoother than the EH but more detailed than stock.
for specifically the th600's sig i think its the best of the three. sometimes the EH can be fatiguing for me with its hyper detail. the cryo reflektors give a good in between for easy long listening sessions.

EH has more wow factor and better with instrumental music/active listening, cryos for a smooth session.

will report if that changes.

The cryo Reflektors just keep getting better. I've got about 10 hours on them and what I notice is extended and tighter bass and deeper soundstage. I seem to be listening at lower volume on some tracks with no loss in sq. They are slightly less transparent than the EH, mostly on the high end. These tubes are a very nice change of pace - and I agree they are less fatiguing!

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #965 of 2,600
personally i notice a slightly higher gain and more dynamic sound on low impedance which is why I ask.  The headphones themselves are relatively low impedance (<50 ohms) and purely resistive and considered easy to drive.  Was just wondering what the consensus was.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #966 of 2,600
I just ordered a WA7 from a Canadian vendor.  How necessary is it to purchase a good USB cable?  What about an upgraded power cord? And if I should purchase them, does anyone know of a Canadian vendor?  USA is ok, but I'd rather get it faster if in fact I should get them.

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #967 of 2,600
  I just ordered a WA7 from a Canadian vendor.  How necessary is it to purchase a good USB cable?  What about an upgraded power cord? And if I should purchase them, does anyone know of a Canadian vendor?  USA is ok, but I'd rather get it faster if in fact I should get them.

Thanks!

Not at all necessary... 99.9 to 100 you will never hear the difference.

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #968 of 2,600
  Not at all necessary... 99.9 to 100 you will never hear the difference.

Thank you.  I was worried because I read a few threads where people were saying a simple upgraded USB cord made a huge difference.  From what I understand the DAC is powered from the USB that will be coming from the PC, so not sure how "dirty" the power from the USB is. I'll take your word for it!

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #969 of 2,600
First post...just joined the WA7 club.

A bit of back story. Mid way through last year, largely due to glowing reviews on head-fi, I made the fateful plunge and purchased the Sennheiser HD600 along with a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 amp/dac. At the moment of purchase, it seemed like utter madness. However, I had recently moved in to an apartment where I could not longer use my loudspeakers and I was really missing my music. Desperate times. As many of you have experienced, the purchase proved to be more of a revelation than a mere frivolity.

Initially, I was very happy with the combo, as it was significantly ahead of any previous headphone setup I'd heard. There were some weaknesses that were immediately apparent however. Perhaps most notably was a lack of weight in the lower frequencies. I assumed this was largely part of the sound signature of the headphone and that there wasn't much I could do about it. After all, the Maverick Audio amp seemed to have more than enough power to drive the headphones, and the signal came across as very clean. Like many who probably browse these forums, my first impulse to was to investigate a new headphone purchase. I began reading various headphone threads like a mad fool, learning about the various sound signatures available and considering where I should turn next. It quickly became apparent that half of the discussion surrounded which amps matched well with each particular headphone. 

So, while it seemed like it'd be less "fun", I decided to tackle my amp/dac situation first. Pairing a 4 figure headphone with a cheap amp just didn't make a whole lot of sense. Unfortunately, I had to make another blind purchase which is rather nerve-racking. The WA7 caught my attention for a number of reasons. First, it seemed to pair fairly well with a wide variety of headphones. Second, it seemed to have enough power (as well as flexibility) to address pretty much anything I'd probably buy in the near future. Third, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive and folks seemed to perceive it as a solid value.

My unit arrived three days ago and I've been glued to my headphones getting to know the amp. Based on the comments in this thread, I've been using the Electro Harmonix tubes. To be blunt, I'm absolutely blown away by the difference in sound quality. I'd read about the "scalability" of the HD6xx series (perhaps the 650 more than the 600), but wasn't entirely sure what that would translate to in this case. Verdict: It's almost like having a different headphone.

The overall tonality is significantly smoother and transparent with less grain, and there is no longer any harshness in the treble (something I had attributed to the headphone initially). Although it seems a bit contradictory to the "smooth" descriptor, there also is a significantly heightened sense of dynamics throughout the entire sonic palette - really beautiful. The soundstage has both widened, increased in depth and gained a sense of air, creating a far more cohesive image. The bass is weightier, and more textured while still effortlessly flowing in to the midrange (I'd still like better extension for some electronica, but it's way better than it was).  

All in all, I am just stoked. I feel that it's been money very well spent and it's far exceeded my expectations. Truly awesome. As far as headphones go, I am now rediscovering the HD600 but plan to also add an ortho to the mix very soon. Thanks Woo and thanks to all of the folks in this thread for providing quality impressions/information!

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #970 of 2,600
  Thank you.  I was worried because I read a few threads where people were saying a simple upgraded USB cord made a huge difference.  From what I understand the DAC is powered from the USB that will be coming from the PC, so not sure how "dirty" the power from the USB is. I'll take your word for it!

in any case a better usb power cord will still carry the laptop noise, maybe even better :wink:  Jack of Woo indicated they do not expect a noticeable improvement using usb power filters which I took to mean they already did due diligence in isolating and filtering the DAC reference but if you are looking for piece of mind a cost effective solution for better power isolation and filtering is http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122. I use one and it seems to work well though I cannot say I notice an improvement for me it is just piece of mind.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #973 of 2,600
  Did anyone else catch this from the CanJam thread:

post #75
Woo WA7 with the new WA7 optional $300.00 power supply that uses 12Au7 to fine tune the sound. The transparency stepped up a huge notch with the additional tube regulated power supply.

Any update on this ? I want to purchase a WA7 but would like to wait until this new power supply is available.

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #974 of 2,600
I'm in a bit of a pickle.. my friend recently purchased his first tube amp (WA7) with the Beyer DT990/600 ohm and says he's not sure what the fuss is all about for high end audio gear.  Now of course I'm a bit gobsmacked at his reaction but according to his ears, he can't hear a difference between his laptop sound card, the WA7 dac (D/A), and the amp (through usb setting).  I gave him links of several reviews but to no avail.  Is it his ears or possibly an error in setting up his rig?  He's also listening to music through MOG which I believe are 320 bitrate quality.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #975 of 2,600
  I'm in a bit of a pickle.. my friend recently purchased his first tube amp (WA7) with the Beyer DT990/600 ohm and says he's not sure what the fuss is all about for high end audio gear.  Now of course I'm a bit gobsmacked at his reaction but according to his ears, he can't hear a difference between his laptop sound card, the WA7 dac (D/A), and the amp (through usb setting).  I gave him links of several reviews but to no avail.  Is it his ears or possibly an error in setting up his rig?  He's also listening to music through MOG which I believe are 320 bitrate quality.

Head fires are enthusiastic people they love their gear and like to talk about it . Enthusiasm leads to a magnification in this case the effectiveness  of an amplifier .
When one reads a review one gets the impression that the virtues of the equipment in question are clear and profound . Under the light of the outside world these same virtues are seen to be in fact quite subtle .
Have you're friend listen exclusively to the WA7 set up for a week or two then switch back to the sound card , if he still can't hear a lift in sound quality he can sell the amp and preach to the world about the myth of high end audio .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back