WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Jan 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #871 of 2,601
  I have been watching the debate about the gold pin EH tubes and Sovtek stock tubes  and figured I would set the record straight The Gold pin tubes are a higher grade of the Sovtek.  The gold pin tubes in general provide better connection in the tube socket and most people who have heard and tried both tubes have heard a different sound with the EH tubes. 

As with all tube rolling some people will like one over the other as I have found in my 30 years of tube rolling.  The Gold pins tubes are a higher quality tube and better selected tubes.  hope this clears up some of the confusion. Most of the Russsian tubes under all different labels are manufactured by New Sensor in Russia.

I personally have used the Sovtek 6922,EH 6922 gold pin and the Genelex 6922 and all three sound very different with my favorite being the Genelex 6922 gold pins and they were twice the price of the Sovtek and all made in the same  factory by the same company. I am also using Genelex 12Ax7 which are twice the cost of NOS 12XAX7 in one of my amps and love them as well. 

Hey Frank,

Can you comment on how the Genelex 6922 Gold Pins differ sonically compared to the stock Sovtek and upgraded EH 6922 that Woo sells?

Also, I believe you may be the only other person currently with the WA7 and LCD-XC on hand. Do you find the WA7 overall a bright(er) amp? I have nothing to compare it against so I"m just curious as you have experience with many amps. I'm still hearing slight harshness in treble with the LCD-XC.

Last question may be very dumb. You mentioned the upgraded power supply will allow us to roll tubes. Would certain tubes be able to possibly "warm-up" the overall sound?

Sorry, soo many questions.

Thanks!

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #874 of 2,601
  Hey Frank,

Can you comment on how the Genelex 6922 Gold Pins differ sonically compared to the stock Sovtek and upgraded EH 6922 that Woo sells?

Also, I believe you may be the only other person currently with the WA7 and LCD-XC on hand. Do you find the WA7 overall a bright(er) amp? I have nothing to compare it against so I"m just curious as you have experience with many amps. I'm still hearing slight harshness in treble with the LCD-XC.

Last question may be very dumb. You mentioned the upgraded power supply will allow us to roll tubes. Would certain tubes be able to possibly "warm-up" the overall sound?

Sorry, soo many questions.

Thanks!

Please note that you cannot USE 6922 IN THE WA7 but The Genelex 6922 are designed after the old Genelex tubes.  In my opinion the Genelex is the best current production 6922 built to higher standards than the EH 6922.    The Genelex has  a very extend sparkly treble. If you looking for warmer tubes for 6922 the Matsusita  area nice option as well as NOS Mullard 2492. The Mullard has the magical midrange Mullard was so well know for.  

Brighter in compared to what amplifier?What amp are yousuing the 6922 ?  The WA7 is limited to the stock and upgrade tubes we offer.

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #879 of 2,601
Has anyone compared the Burson Conductor to the WA7 when paired with the HD800?  I am interested in getting the WA7 as well (already have the Conductor) but dont want to if it is step down ('different' is ok...).  I have read some saying the Conductor "kills" the WA7 and others saying that they are comparable but know one seems to have provided any details....  Of course, there is a price difference between the two but surely they can (should?) be compared....

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #880 of 2,601
Greetings folks. This is my first post here. I recently purchased the WA7 and am thoroughly enjoying it paired with my Sennheiser HD800 phones.

I have discovered one quirk, however. Each time I power up, the highest sampling rate listed in my Mac Pro's Audio/MIDI Setup is only 48k. Usually once I reconnect the USB cable (while the unit is on) the list expands to include the full range up to 192k. It's not a big deal, just a slight annoyance. Has anybody else encountered this?

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #881 of 2,601
  Greetings folks. This is my first post here. I recently purchased the WA7 and am thoroughly enjoying it paired with my Sennheiser HD800 phones.

I have discovered one quirk, however. Each time I power up, the highest sampling rate listed in my Mac Pro's Audio/MIDI Setup is only 48k. Usually once I reconnect the USB cable (while the unit is on) the list expands to include the full range up to 192k. It's not a big deal, just a slight annoyance. Has anybody else encountered this?

Mine only shows up to 48k as well... never tried unplugging it while on.  i was wondering about this too actually since i am setting up a multi device with another dac i have and wanted to assure both are at the same rated sample rate. setting the multi device to include another dac and syncing the rate to that dac at 96 does seem to work with the WA7 though so not sure what the real rate is.

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #882 of 2,601
  Has anyone compared the Burson Conductor to the WA7 when paired with the HD800?  I am interested in getting the WA7 as well (already have the Conductor) but dont want to if it is step down ('different' is ok...).  I have read some saying the Conductor "kills" the WA7 and others saying that they are comparable but know one seems to have provided any details....  Of course, there is a price difference between the two but surely they can (should?) be compared....

No-one has any experience with the Conductor vs WA7 and the Senn HD800's?

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #883 of 2,601

No-one has any experience with the Conductor vs WA7 and the Senn HD800's?

don't remember seeing many if any with conductor on this thread, plus specifically the hd800s.

i did have the soloist (the amp portion of the conductor) in combo with the gungnir for a little while but that was with the akg702-65.

so my insight wont help to your exact inquiry but ill give my impressions with that combo, though its not fair cause the gungnirs a good amount better than the wa7's dac.

as far as sound quality i would say soloist >= wa7 w/ eh tubes > > wa7 w/ stock tubes. im assuming the soloist sounded better cause of the gungnir.

i can't recall the signature sounding much different, the wa7 has been described as ss sounding.

i would say they're fairly equal (if its with the eh tubes), don't think you'll really gain anything. but thats only for the akg702-65. since the hd800s have a different sig i can't say for sure.

if you're trying to get a smoother sound the stock tubes would work well with them but you'll lose some transparency and bass (quality and impact). eh tubes might make the treble and bit too sparkly/harsh unless thats your thing.

hopefully someone with that exact combo appears to help you though.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #884 of 2,601
Received the LCD-XC & X and have first unpacked the XC at work to listen through the WA7 and even with no burn-in there are literally tears from my eyes listening to pretty much anything.  It is overwhelmingly beautiful sound.  This definately trumps the Beyer T5p.

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #885 of 2,601
There isn't much of a sound signature difference to be honest between the XC and X.  They are both very emotional and grooving yet flat at the same time.  The best of both worlds?  No wonder they are marketing these in between the studio professional and the audiophile.  They are both acoustically accurate and passionate.

interestingly they are both more efficient then the T5p even which is impressive in it's own right. super amp not at all required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back