WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Jan 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #856 of 2,600

tubeman.com has the cryo-treated version which is much better than the standard tubes. I just have ordered a set, following a quick email exchange with Ken who stated that they can match a pair for free if you request it in the order. They're about $80 a pair.

Which tube are you talking about, the EH or the Sovtek?  I didn't find any EH anywhere except Woo.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #857 of 2,600
ordered 5 more pair should be enough with the 6 pair of EH and the 3 pair of sovtek i already have :wink:  curious about these old stock reflektors claimed to be of better quality then sovtek.  what is the right way to store tubes long term, in the freezer?

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #858 of 2,600
  Which tube are you talking about, the EH or the Sovtek?  I didn't find any EH anywhere except Woo.

Tubeman.com has the Reflektor variety of cryo-treated 6c45pi. I have no experience with these yet, but I do have a set of EH gold pins that are also cryo-treated. The biggest difference is in detail and smoothness of mids, and that translates to less sibilance and better precision in sound source placement. YMMV depending on your headphones (I'm using HD800) and your hearing sensitivity, but to me the difference is so big and obvious that I never want to listen to the Sovtek tubes again.
From what I read about the cryo treatment, it changes the physical structure of the metals used, resulting in better performance and longevity. Another thing is that usually there's some selection process of the tubes before they undergo the cryo treatment, so that gives some hope of better quality in terms of sticking to the specifications. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #859 of 2,600
I have been watching the debate about the gold pin EH tubes and Sovtek stock tubes  and figured I would set the record straight The Gold pin tubes are a higher grade of the Sovtek.  The gold pin tubes in general provide better connection in the tube socket and most people who have heard and tried both tubes have heard a different sound with the EH tubes. 

As with all tube rolling some people will like one over the other as I have found in my 30 years of tube rolling.  The Gold pins tubes are a higher quality tube and better selected tubes.  hope this clears up some of the confusion. Most of the Russsian tubes under all different labels are manufactured by New Sensor in Russia.

I personally have used the Sovtek 6922,EH 6922 gold pin and the Genelex 6922 and all three sound very different with my favorite being the Genelex 6922 gold pins and they were twice the price of the Sovtek and all made in the same  factory by the same company. I am also using Genelex 12Ax7 which are twice the cost of NOS 12XAX7 in one of my amps and love them as well. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #861 of 2,600
Looking for a power cord/cable for the wa7, is there a noticeable difference between a standard monoprice cable versus something like the Volex 17604? http://www.amazon.com/VOLEX-17604-POWER-NEMA5-15P-BLACK/dp/B00DK2BB6M/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1389299998&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=volex+17604

Don't really want to spend too much money on it right now as i still need to buy a usb cable and perhaps an isolator

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #862 of 2,600
so any one else got iUSB with WA7 or? :p 

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #863 of 2,600
Can anyone help me troubleshoot the WA7,
I have downloaded the drivers and set the USB output, also using JRiver and set audio output to ASIO, there seems to be sound coming out of the WA7 when I turn the volume all the way up it's extremely faint but there. I know the unit works perfectly because it was previously set up with a cd player. Any help much appreciated!

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #864 of 2,600
Can't really help you as I don't use Jriver.
How about if you try using Foobar as it is also free player?

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #866 of 2,600
  Can anyone help me troubleshoot the WA7,
I have downloaded the drivers and set the USB output, also using JRiver and set audio output to ASIO, there seems to be sound coming out of the WA7 when I turn the volume all the way up it's extremely faint but there. I know the unit works perfectly because it was previously set up with a cd player. Any help much appreciated!

Just to make sure, have you switched the input to USB? 

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #867 of 2,600
Received the ifi iUSB Power and been using it with my WA7. Unfortunately, the iUSB arrived with a broken IsoEarth switch, so I haven't been able to use that feature (it's stuck in the off position). According to people around the net, the IsoEarth doesn't make a noticeable difference in SQ for them so I still went ahead and tested the iUSB out anyways.

After a bit of testing, I don't really agree that it's a HUGE difference and night and day between the WA7 alone and WA7 with the iUSB. From what I can tell so far, the sound IS a bit different when adding the iUSB. It makes the sound a tad cleaner I suppose, but I'm still going through the process of A-Bing on various tracks to see which sound I prefer more.

Sucks that I received an iUSB with a defective switch for the IsoEarth feature. If I end up deciding it is worth the 200 bucks, I will exchange for a new one. If I feel it's not a big enough difference to justify the price tag, I will probably just return it and leave it at that.

So far, it's not the night and day difference that I've been hearing about. Gotta do some more testing. A/B testing is a bit of a pain as you have to unplug and switch around the USB cables before replaying songs. But if it was a truly night and day difference, I'm sure I would have noticed by now.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #868 of 2,600
  Received the ifi iUSB Power and been using it with my WA7. Unfortunately, the iUSB arrived with a broken IsoEarth switch, so I haven't been able to use that feature (it's stuck in the off position). According to people around the net, the IsoEarth doesn't make a noticeable difference in SQ for them so I still went ahead and tested the iUSB out anyways.

After a bit of testing, I don't really agree that it's a HUGE difference and night and day between the WA7 alone and WA7 with the iUSB. From what I can tell so far, the sound IS a bit different when adding the iUSB. It makes the sound a tad cleaner I suppose, but I'm still going through the process of A-Bing on various tracks to see which sound I prefer more.

Sucks that I received an iUSB with a defective switch for the IsoEarth feature. If I end up deciding it is worth the 200 bucks, I will exchange for a new one. If I feel it's not a big enough difference to justify the price tag, I will probably just return it and leave it at that.

So far, it's not the night and day difference that I've been hearing about. Gotta do some more testing. A/B testing is a bit of a pain as you have to unplug and switch around the USB cables before replaying songs. But if it was a truly night and day difference, I'm sure I would have noticed by now.

i disagree the iso earth mode did a difference for me, and with out it the SQ will be harsh and so fatiguing for me, try to replace then test it again, here we have 240 volt , maybe thats why i see more distortion that the iUSB cleaned for me, you guys have 120v., also my PSU is corsair with 800wat.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #869 of 2,600

Is why I recommended the compact and cost effective solution of the passive isolator.  Pretty sure for the most part Woo did due diligence in assuring the DAC reference is clean internally. Still curious as to if it isn't isolated internally or if the new power supply might provide a discrete DAC reference power rail.  Anyone know the power supply cable pinout?  Has anyone yet opened up their WA7 and taken a look inside?  Would love to see what's inside.  Could be some opportunity for upgrades.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #870 of 2,600
Is why I recommended the compact and cost effective solution of the passive isolator.  Pretty sure for the most part Woo did due diligence in assuring the DAC reference is clean internally. Still curious as to if it isn't isolated internally or if the new power supply might provide a discrete DAC reference power rail.  Anyone know the power supply cable pinout?  Has anyone yet opened up their WA7 and taken a look inside?  Would love to see what's inside.  Could be some opportunity for upgrades.

I am not sure about this, but if I open the unit and attempt any upgrades wouldn't any warranties be void? At this point the only upgrade I'm contemplating is the upcoming tube power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back