WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Nov 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #706 of 2,600
So i noticed that the driver.zip file had a folder called Program and a few .exe and application files. Do we need to install these?

Just to specify, I have Windows 7 and have already installed the drivers needed for the DAC. I'm just referring to a separate folder called Program. Contains an exe file called CmEnhance. For some reason it doesn't load for me.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #707 of 2,600
I installed everything when I did mine
Just had a look and I would say some of the files probably are not in use with the Wa7 but I would not know which ones
They are small files and I don't think they do any harm if they are redundant so I think I will just leave it alone
If it aint broke don't fix it

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #708 of 2,600
New tubes started up today with crackling for the first 30 min of listening and with uneven levels... The crackling only occurs during otherwise silence and when audio is playing it sort of mutes the crackle.  Is this a normal tube issue?  Could this be related to the colder temperature and longer warmup?  I heard absolutely none of these issues at all when I got my WA7 and here I am with these issues plaguing 2 sets of tubes within the past month.  What is the start-up sensitivity to cold and how does it normally sound?  Just wondering if there is really something wrong with the WA7 now. No crackling after 1 hour.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #710 of 2,600
Just ordered IFI iUSB to use it with my WA7's DAC, for some odd reason it was refusing to be used with the Yulong D100 MKII, the WA7 were fine alone yet when paired with the Yulong i started to get bzzzzing etc,

the iUSB is to provide the DAC section of the WA7 with clean power.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #711 of 2,600
New tubes started up today with crackling for the first 30 min of listening and with uneven levels... The crackling only occurs during otherwise silence and when audio is playing it sort of mutes the crackle.  Is this a normal tube issue?  Could this be related to the colder temperature and longer warmup?  I heard absolutely none of these issues at all when I got my WA7 and here I am with these issues plaguing 2 sets of tubes within the past month.  What is the start-up sensitivity to cold and how does it normally sound?  Just wondering if there is really something wrong with the WA7 now. No crackling after 1 hour.

With the WA7 off and tubes cold, try unplugging and reinserting the tubes. There may be a little oxidation on either the tube or socket pins and this will wipe the oxidation. This very phenomena happened to me with my Zana Deux SE. It was the driver tube, a 6SL7 that had a little oxidation.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #712 of 2,600
I'm actually having a "similar" issue with my 3 days old WA7, today I turned it on and it was doing a really high hissing on the right side, I swapped the tubes around and it went to the left side. Anything I can try before assuming I got a faulty tube?

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #715 of 2,600
You using the EH tubes?  Wondering if they have quality issues.  Would be good to know when people report tube issues which tubes they are using.  Both of my problems so far were using different sets of EH tubes. Don't want to continue spending a fortune on EH tubes if they are problem prone.  Doesn't sound like anyone is willing to cover the tubes they sell for more then a week or two.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #717 of 2,600
  You using the EH tubes?  Wondering if they have quality issues.  Would be good to know when people report tube issues which tubes they are using.  Both of my problems so far were using different sets of EH tubes. Don't want to continue spending a fortune on EH tubes if they are problem prone.  Doesn't sound like anyone is willing to cover the tubes they sell for more then a week or two.

My first pair of EH tubes only lasted 4 months before a major channel imbalance.  However, my current pair is about the same age with no problems.  I use my WA7 most of the day every work day.  I hope these EH tubes last as I'm not very fond of the stock Sovteks.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #719 of 2,600
  My first pair of EH tubes only lasted 4 months before a major channel imbalance.  However, my current pair is about the same age with no problems.  I use my WA7 most of the day every work day.  I hope these EH tubes last as I'm not very fond of the stock Sovteks.

Mine also lasted only 4 months before the major imbalance.  Hopefully this isn't the lifespan of them.  I heard somewhere that gold pin tubes do die a lot sooner then non gold pin tubes.  Not sure what the reasoning was but to me 4 months just won't do for $99 tubes. IMHO at that price they should be guaranteed for at least a year as the insurance policy was definitely paid for.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #720 of 2,600
  Mine also lasted only 4 months before the major imbalance.  Hopefully this isn't the lifespan of them.  I heard somewhere that gold pin tubes do die a lot sooner then non gold pin tubes.  Not sure what the reasoning was but to me 4 months just won't do for $99 tubes. IMHO at that price they should be guaranteed for at least a year as the insurance policy was definitely paid for.

I've had my EH tubes going pretty much every day for a few hours since March, with no sign of any degradation in the sound quality.

Speaking of wishing for insurance...I have a pair of Shuguang CV181 TII tubes that are only 6 months old and one of them recently died.  Those tubes cost $290/pair. 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back