WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Apr 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #286 of 2,600
Tinting is different than changing it's transparency/opacity.  Etching in acid would change the latter, not the former, obviously.  See-through glass is polished.  If it's not polished, or if polished glass is roughened up, then you can't see through it any longer.  Or at least not as easily.  But ... no idea how they do it!!

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #287 of 2,600
I agree with rave dog assessment it does sound good with the hd800 not so Brite
I listen to every amp he had at the show eve. The mono blocks
And in hearing g TAISTE only two amps sounded as to what I like
The wa7 stock tubes as I cannot say what it would sound with upgraded tubes
But the other was the wa22.
Though the wa22 was better in a listen at the show the wa7 is good for the headphones
And my iem, s sing with it
Cheers enjoy

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #288 of 2,600
Picked up my fireflies at the fedex today and dag-nabbit without the power cord I am stuck momentarily enjoying the DAC only out to my Paradigm MilleniaOne CT desktop speakers.  DAC sounds ok, not sure it sounds better then my HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp did only difficulty in it being i need to rely on the speakers remote instead of volume by knob and remember to throw the switch in the back.  I do like how it runs the DAC without the power supply.

Build quality is impressive down to even the separate power supply which looks like someone really cared to design it right.

Can't wait to power it up and hear the tubes.

... edited ...

... whoa I am half a dummy... taking apart my HeadRoom to take it to work I see it uses the same power cord 
bigsmile_face.gif

... plug the T1's in and fire up the lovely warm electro gold glow 
regular_smile .gif

... absolutely no burn in and awesome sound fill my head 
atsmile.gif

i only wish I could get the RCA out at the same time as the headphone out so I could blend the paradigm thump with the t1 lush and switch back and forth without touching anything.

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #289 of 2,600
Quote:
Ordered Silver WA7 on March 6th and received in home April 16th.  Haven't quit listening to it since.  For me, it's a great match for my Sennheiser HD800/s and HD580's with the HD650 replacement cord ($15) - takes the sharp edges from it and has brought in the instrumentals quite well.  Background is dead silent.  Fatigue factor reduced significantly.  You just never know about these things, until you own or try them... 

Also, I'm using the standard tubes that accompanies the WA7.  I bought but haven't yet tried the upgraded tubes yet ($100) - I'm very happy with the standards.  

Has anyone compared the two sets of tubes? 

Yep! First page of this thread- the WA7 review itself, where i not only reviewed the unit over a week or so of entries, but also reviewed its performance with 3 different sets of tubes. Im still rocking the EHX upgrades myself. Gave up on the other russians (Reflektor), they are a bit too creamy for me, although for 4/6 of my headphones and to my ears are still an improvement over stock. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #290 of 2,600
Kevin are u Shure it is glass I have not unboxed. Mine yet
And I thought jack said. Acrylic supplier
I'm not saying ur wrong I never touched it
AL D

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #291 of 2,600
Quote:
Kevin are u Shure it is glass I have not unboxed. Mine yet
And I thought jack said. Acrylic supplier
I'm not saying ur wrong I never touched it
AL D

Since I don't have mine yet
smile_phones.gif
, I'm just assuming it's glass.  Maybe it's not?  That would nix the HF idea to try and "cloud" up the polished "glass" !!

But if it's acrylic, that might not stand up to the heat of the tubes either ...

[Added:] Looks like glass.  From his email:

Quote:
Unfortunately, on-going problems with glass manufacture are preventing us from shipping Fireflies with smoked glass.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #296 of 2,600
I didn't tinkle but, yes, it's glass.  Woo calls it "High clarity tube protection glass"
The smoked version has an almost dark silvery mirrored look to it.  I have the black base with the smoked top and I quite like the understated dark look.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #297 of 2,600
I didn't tinkle but, yes, it's glass.  Woo calls it "High clarity tube protection glass"
The smoked version has an almost dark silvery mirrored look to it.  I have the black base with the smoked top and I quite like the understated dark look.

Even in pictures I see what you mean. The dark glass is truly beautiful. I think I've decided that the WA7 will eventually become mine but I do regret that I won't be able to get the dark glass. I'm sure it'll look wonderful with the clear glass but there was just something so nice about the subtle nature of the smoked glass.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #298 of 2,600
Quote:
Ordered Silver WA7 on March 6th and received in home April 16th.  Haven't quit listening to it since.  For me, it's a great match for my Sennheiser HD800/s and HD580's with the HD650 replacement cord ($15) - takes the sharp edges from it and has brought in the instrumentals quite well.  Background is dead silent.  Fatigue factor reduced significantly.  You just never know about these things, until you own or try them... 

Also, I'm using the standard tubes that accompanies the WA7.  I bought but haven't yet tried the upgraded tubes yet ($100) - I'm very happy with the standards.  

Has anyone compared the two sets of tubes? 

I have both EHX and stock and have yet to progress beyond the stock tubes. T90, HD800, HD600, HE-500. Mostly T90. Haven't spent much time on the other head amps since arrival of the WA7. Silent background with all headphones, no fatigue factor (except the weight of the HE-500.) A very interesting comparison would be the WA7 with the WA6-SE.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #299 of 2,600
I heard it at the show in the end I bought the wa7 for the office but home wa22

The wa6 was to bright and not enough bottom in fact all of the woo amps sounded the same
Except the above two and heapphones the beyers we're two Brite for me but extremly fast and detailed. The headphones I have Nd liked best at the show are the hd800
And the audezee LC 3 were not in my TAISTE either not detailed enough and not bright enough
Gain no Insults to Anyone. It's just my TAISTE
AL D

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #300 of 2,600
My spin on the Sovtek vs EH thing

Straight out of the box I felt the two variants were quite separate

While the Sovtek tube had quite a dark presentation the EH version seemed bright in comparison

Following around 60 hours on each set I can no longer detect a difference between the two with both sets settling into a more neutral signature

Preference goes to the EH set as I feel it has a slight edge in dynamics however the edge is well within what could be considered psychological or simply slightly higher gain

Basically with the Sovtek tube you are getting the full WA7 experience and the EH is for those like me who can't resist shiny things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back