Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
May 6, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #212 of 903

As a means of comparison I do not lack for  great equipment to compare including WA22, WA6SE, DAC2 HGC, Grace 902, etc.

I've always wanted a WA6 SE for my work setup, but it is not practical for me. Would you say the WA8 is a similar sound signature to the WA6 SE or closer to the WA7?

The WA6SE is an excellent value and depending on the quality of the tubes it will perform admirably, on a par with other Woo's.  I've not heard the WA7

May 7, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #213 of 903
What do you guys think of my portable home + office setup?

I've been using an old tube magic D1 for the past 6 years with a pair of ATH-M50's and figured it was time for an upgrade. Holy hell was this an upgrade! The sound is flawless to my ears. I've messed around with the 2-3 tube modes, I prefer 3 tubes. The differences are small but noticeable, 2 tubes sounds more pure and clinical while 3 tubes has a warmer, punchier sound. Using 3 tube mode I listen at 3 on the volume dial with my HD 800 S, 2 tube mode requires me to crank it to 4. The WA8 has tons of power to spare, I feel I will damage my headphones if I crank the volume higher than 6-7 on the dial, at this volume my HD 800's work well as desktop speakers. My favorite thing about the WA8 is the low noise floor though, my tube magic always had a noticeable static hiss when the volume was turned above 1/3 and no music was playing, the WA8 is 100% silent even when the volume knob is maxed, it makes me so happy.

Also for you bass heads out there, I've used my JVC SZ-2000's with the WA8 and the bass hits so much harder compared to my D1 its crazy.

May 7, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #214 of 903
That looks like a great transportable setup. Congrats.

Makes me want to take a shot at getting the WA8 (price). Just (finally) got an iTube too for my setup but the WA8 sound like an even bigger step up.

May 7, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #215 of 903
Speaking of portable, anyone try to use OTG digital out from an Android phone or CCK on iPhone to the USB input of the WA8? I usually don't take a laptop with me on my travels.

May 9, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #216 of 903
There is a link to Windows drivers on the WA8 product page in the Woo Audio web site. It's right at the end of the Specifications section.

The driver worked well for me.

I did try using an OTG cable from an android phone (LG G3) but could not get it to work. Will try again today, but emailed Woo Audio for clarification.

May 9, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #217 of 903
Hand Banana, that's one sweet transportable setup you've got there -- would love to know where I can get my own hands on a Pelican case like that. I ordered a case from Tube Depot, and it looks nothing alike.

May 9, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #218 of 903
Happy to report that the Wa8 does work quite well with an android cell phone using an OTG usb cable. You need to unplug the line-in since that takes precedent over the usb input.

Thanks to Woo Audio for pointing this out!

May 9, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #219 of 903
There is a link to Windows drivers on the WA8 product page in the Woo Audio web site. It's right at the end of the Specifications section.

The driver worked well for me.

I did try using an OTG cable from an android phone (LG G3) but could not get it to work. Will try again today, but emailed Woo Audio for clarification.

Oh wow lol, how did I miss that! The WA8 is working fine on Windows 10! Thanks for the heads up!

Hand Banana, that's one sweet transportable setup you've got there -- would love to know where I can get my own hands on a Pelican case like that. I ordered a case from Tube Depot, and it looks nothing alike.

Thanks! Here's the cheapest I could find: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568931-REG/Hardigg_Storm_Case_IM2200_00001_iM2200_Storm_Case_with.html

May 12, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #220 of 903

LOL. I love this description. So great.

Metal or plastic knob, can anyone confirm?

The volume knob is aluminum. 

If anyone is rockin' the new Apple MacBook, here's a link to USB-C certified cable form Belkin. No adapter needed. 

http://amzn.to/2221JDG

It's no Nordost cable, but it'll do until they make a USB-C cable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #222 of 903
Here is a weird question. If using a mac, when plugged in, do the keyboard volume controls work to control the WA8? Not a concern, just curious. Also, how would the Abyss do with the WA8? And LCD-4?

May 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #223 of 903
  Here is a weird question. If using a mac, when plugged in, do the keyboard volume controls work to control the WA8? Not a concern, just curious. Also, how would the Abyss do with the WA8? And LCD-4?

Keyboard volume control doesn't work with WA8.

LCD4 and Abyss with the WA8 are not the most ideal match. You can do better with more powerful alternatives.

May 13, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #224 of 903
Speaking of portable, anyone try to use OTG digital out from an Android phone or CCK on iPhone to the USB input of the WA8? I usually don't take a laptop with me on my travels.

I don't own a WA8, but I demoed one at Stereo Exchange in NYC. It worked like a charm using my iPhone as a source and sounded fantastic! I used my Westone W60s and a store pair of LCD2s.

May 13, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #225 of 903
Going for a final audition. My dream is to purchase the ATH HA5050 but WA8 is equally capable. I don't have my Hugo with me this time so I am going in with the intention to try to listen to the WA8 in the worst way possible using my iPhone .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back