Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
May 13, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #226 of 896
Keyboard volume control doesn't work with WA8.

LCD4 and Abyss with the WA8 are not the most ideal match. You can do better with more powerful alternatives.

I heard the Abyss with the WA8 pre-production unit last fall and thought it sounded marvelous. My recently received WA8 sounds even better with my LA-900 than I recall it did with the pre-production even allowing for the unreliability of aural memory and even with the tubes still with less than 50 hours. Given this I assume the production unit would sound better with the Abyss.

Did you try with 2 tubes or 3? 3 tubes does add some punch while retaining the overall character.

No experience with the LCD4 so I can't comment on that unit.

May 13, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #227 of 896
WA8 has the same tonality my calyx M but less coloured. CDM could not touch the WA8 in amp mode. I couldn't check the DAC but darn if they had stock I would buy it on the spot.

The best pairing that I had today was with k3003. I had with me the ck100pro, ex1000 and k3003. K3003 scaled up more than the other two, ck100pro brightness was tamed however ex1000 pairing didn't more me.

Now I am back to doing my research

May 14, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #228 of 896
I heard the Abyss with the WA8 pre-production unit last fall and thought it sounded marvelous. My recently received WA8 sounds even better with my LA-900 than I recall it did with the pre-production even allowing for the unreliability of aural memory and even with the tubes still with less than 50 hours. Given this I assume the production unit would sound better with the Abyss.

Did you try with 2 tubes or 3? 3 tubes does add some punch while retaining the overall character.

No experience with the LCD4 so I can't comment on that unit.

Well, the Abyss is harder the drive than the LCD-4 so if you felt it did well with the Abyss, it should do well with the LCD-4. Granted, it may not be "ideal" but it should in theory power them well (ish). I have my powerful desktop set up for when I really want to do a hardcore listening session, so "good enough" would probably be ok for my needs. I have always had SS gear, so the tubes are drawing me towards the WA8, it would be a cool change of pace. Here is what I have figured so far

pros: All tube
        Supposedly wonderful sound
        Made in the US
        Seems to be built very well (please correct me if I am wrong, I am looking for sturdy build quality)

cons: price(!) vs. my other options
          power output
          battery life (3-4 hours)
          Tubes will need replaced by Woo Audio at some point, as will the battery.

I will get a chance to listen to the WA8 in a few weeks with both my Abyss and LCD-4 so I will report back then. Hopefully it blows me away to the point where I just plunk down my wallet, but it might not and I will have to look at other options. 

May 14, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #229 of 896
Build quality is outstanding including the feel of the volume control. It literally looks and feels like its carved from a solid block of aluminum and the weight is surprisingly heavy.

Another great point is that it works wonderfully with every iem I've tried; dead quiet with no hiss at all. As I reported before it's a fantastic match with the Noble k10ua. I would not pair with a bright iem though. The WA8 is quite extended and clean on top and very neutral through the upper bass and midrange so it will do nothing to tame a bright unit especially if the source is on the cold side of neutral. Having said that it is a good match with the ER4S with the QP1R as a source. The great low end (sub bass/midbass) really balances the top end of the ER4S and the midrange is superbly clean.

To put my comments into context I tend to prefer a neutral response with a very slight lift in the sub bass and bass. The K10ua is about as warm a signature as I would find acceptable for long term, reference listening.

Finally, in practice and for the intended use as a transportable unit (basically a desktop class unit that is easy to relocate), I have not found battery life to be an issue. Keep in mind that you can contine to use the unit while it is charging. Even so more battery life is always better. It would be great if Woo Audio could add the option for a user to connect an Anker style battery pack and/or use a usb cable adapter to extend battery life or charge using a usb cable for those who need it.

May 22, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #233 of 896
But to my ears Mr Speaker and Audeze didnt pair too well. I couldnt try the HE1000 but the Hifiman Edition X sounded darn good on the WA8. 

May 24, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #238 of 896
  But to my ears Mr Speaker and Audeze didnt pair too well. I couldnt try the HE1000 but the Hifiman Edition X sounded darn good on the WA8. 

Edition X pairs well and Sennheiser HD800S too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back