Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #256 of 1,117
  I don't remember even getting a spare fuse with mine... is it in the fuse box or something?

I am still waiting on 1 of the 2 short DC power cords I ordered.  Seems they forgot to throw one in the box.

Yes , it is there. In the back of WA7tp, just below the socket, there is a small compartment that houses both the spare and the active fuse. You're so lucky you got a good unit.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #257 of 1,117

Just put in a set of Sylvania Gold Brand 5814A in the WA7tp. Much better separation, timbre and density with a more holographic soundstage than stock tubes. Sounded awesome with my HD800 that I didn't want to take them off.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #258 of 1,117

Just put in a set of Sylvania Gold Brand 5814A in the WA7tp. Much better separation, timbre and density with a more holographic soundstage than stock tubes. Sounded awesome with my HD800 that I didn't want to take them off.

Very cool.  Does the HD800 pair well with the WA7/WA7tp? I've been contemplating the HD800 vs. the LCD-X as my next headphone purchase, but am a bit concerned with how demanding the HD800 is of upstream gear. Regardless, I'm thinking the HD800 may be a better purchase, as I already have LCD-2's, which I love with electronica. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #259 of 1,117
IMO, HD800 pairs really well with the WA7 + Tp. With the SS psu, the bass and soundstage felt a bit congested. The tube power supply opens everything up with better separation and details. I prefer the HD800 pairing over the LCD X at this moment as it sounded more coherent to me. Will compare again when I get some more tubes to roll.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #260 of 1,117
  Yes , it is there. In the back of WA7tp, just below the socket, there is a small compartment that houses both the spare and the active fuse. You're so lucky you got a good unit.

haha, funny you mention that... actually my tubes went bad a month after getting mine and they were then considered out of warrantee.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #262 of 1,117

Would you advise to using the tubes as sparingly as possible in order to prolong their shelf life? Which tubes busted out first, the tp's or the amp's?

The amp original EH golds busted out first.  It shocked me enough to purchase a lifetime supply since they are end of life components.  Apparently tubes do have a lifetime rating in hours of use and not necessarily shelf life hours.  I do not have enough true experience with tubes to be able to tell you really how it goes but if you enjoy the sound I would recommend thinking ahead on what could happen and preparing for that considering some of these tubes are getting more and more rare every day.

Of course who knows, maybe the tubes are the most durable components in these units and I just got unlucky...

I would love to see what is inside these units.  Surprised no one has opened one up after all this time.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #263 of 1,117
+1 for stock pilling. Shame I am broke this month.

Although, it would be nice to have a business case to remanufacture these tubes. We could introduce some of these sweet new technologies in material enrichment for the internal parts, glass strength and vacuum seals. Way to get the ultimate pure sound.

By the way, I received a tip from a good friend on how to increase the lifetime of the tubes. He suggested to avoid touching the tubes directly when manipulating them. The deposit of human grease combined with the heat from the tubes during use apparently can weaken the glass and reduce the tube lifetime. He suggested at best to use silicon gloves (also take care of statics ???) or at worst use a simple napkin (the way I do).

Cheers,

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #264 of 1,117
By the way, I received a tip from a good friend on how to increase the lifetime of the tubes. He suggested to avoid touching the tubes directly when manipulating them. The deposit of human grease combined with the heat from the tubes during use apparently can weaken the glass and reduce the tube lifetime. He suggested at best to use silicon gloves (also take care of statics ???) or at worst use a simple napkin (the way I do).

Cheers,

I used the small glass block cleaning cloth that Woo shipped with the WA7/WA7tp to hold the tubes while inserting them into their respective units :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #265 of 1,117

correct!

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #267 of 1,117
I have had my TP for a couple of days all good so far
Cosmetic match is very good I have one of the first thirty WA7's in black , there is a slight difference in the finish  if you look really close and I had to buy a clear glass as I had the smoked version
Sound is also very good I think it is a clear upgrade with stronger dynamic and stage on my HE500 , I will switch to the HD800 later this week
I will stick with the stock tubes for ten days then roll in some RCA clear tops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back