Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #1,066 of 1,117
  I got a hold of Mike and he mentioned that the details on the upgrade process will come out after they catch up one the influx of recent orders.

In other news, I'll be joining the WA7tp family for the second time! Plan on feeding it with my Mojo until I can upgrade to the Sabre. Now I just need to figure out what tubes to roll in the power supply... Any suggestions for a Grado head who likes thumpy bass, rich mids, and detailed, but not razor-edged treble?

LOL, you were smart in not saying this in the Mojo thread. If you would have said the Sabre DAC was an upgrade to Mojo in that thread, you would have heard about 1,000 peoples' heads explode.

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,067 of 1,117
LOL, you were smart in not saying this in the Mojo thread. If you would have said the Sabre DAC was an upgrade to Mojo in that thread, you would have heard about 1,000 peoples' heads explode.

Haha that was a thought that occurred to me also!

May 9, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,068 of 1,117
Waiting on the Gen 1 upgrade details.

In the mean time I happen to have the Onkyo DP-X1 which has the same Sabre DAC chip as Gen 2 and tried it with the WA7 and I think this the upgrade will be well worth it. I will be using this combo until the upgrade.

May 11, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #1,069 of 1,117
  Waiting on the Gen 1 upgrade details.

In the mean time I happen to have the Onkyo DP-X1 which has the same Sabre DAC chip as Gen 2 and tried it with the WA7 and I think this the upgrade will be well worth it. I will be using this combo until the upgrade.

Right there with ya. If the Sabre will give just a hair more on upper end extension and separation, this would truly make the WA7 an endgame all-in-one solution.

May 12, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,070 of 1,117
I bought the wa7 in January with the stock power brick ( Murphy's law - buy a product and a new and better version will come out shortly ).
I contacted woo audio and they now want 749 plus shipping for the wa7tp- ouch. In effect it's a double whammy - updated product (wa7) price stays the same while the power ugrade that was not updated goes up in price. Is the wa7tp worth the $749 to upgrade over the stock power supply ?
Thanks

May 12, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,071 of 1,117
I bought the wa7 in January with the stock power brick ( Murphy's law - buy a product and a new and better version will come out shortly ).
I contacted woo audio and they now want 749 plus shipping for the wa7tp- ouch. In effect it's a double whammy - updated product (wa7) price stays the same while the power ugrade that was not updated goes up in price. Is the wa7tp worth the $749 to upgrade over the stock power supply ?
Thanks

In short, no. There are noticeable improvements, especially with tube rolling, but $749 worth of improvement, I don't think so. But perhaps you could find one secondhand?

May 12, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,073 of 1,117
Thanks for that quick response. It's hard to find used as a standalone product. It's usually sold as a bundle with the wa7

Right right. I figured you might be able to talk a seller into selling just the PSU by itself.

May 15, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #1,074 of 1,117
Does anyone else have a white sticker on the bottom of their WA7TP ('115vac 60Hz Do not remove') instead of the 110/220 voltage selector switch?

I'm in the UK so checked the manual before purchase - which shows the same selector switch as the solid state PSU - but the unit i have has a sticker instead of a switch? I've emailed Mike, but don't expect a reply yet as it's the weekend, so just wondered if anyone can enlighten me as to what this means? Can i use this WA7TP with 220v?

May 15, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #1,075 of 1,117
  Does anyone else have a white sticker on the bottom of their WA7TP ('115vac 60Hz Do not remove') instead of the 110/220 voltage selector switch?

I'm in the UK so checked the manual before purchase - which shows the same selector switch as the solid state PSU - but the unit i have has a sticker instead of a switch? I've emailed Mike, but don't expect a reply yet as it's the weekend, so just wondered if anyone can enlighten me as to what this means? Can i use this WA7TP with 220v?

The switch on the bottom of my WA7tp is identical to the switch on the bottom of my original solid state linear power supply.
I bought the WA7tp just a couple weeks ago. There is no sticker covering the switch of either power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back