Woo Audio WA5/WA5 LE owners
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #406 of 484
The premium parts upgrade
Oh. I have not heard both to compare them side-by-side. I know mine (premium parts) sounds fantastic. I know others here who have the standard version also have no issues, so I imagine it's whichever your budget and OCD can afford...

Apr 28, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #407 of 484
Oh. I have not heard both to compare them side-by-side. I know mine (premium parts) sounds fantastic. I know others here who have the standard version also have no issues, so I imagine it's whichever your budget and OCD can afford...

I have the regular version and love it. IMO Mundorf caps have a smoother, softer sound. I can't say for certain one is better than the other (standard vs upgrade). It just depends on your audio preference.

I listen to a lot of prog metal and I felt like the Mundorf upgrade would be counter-productive to my musical preference.

Would like to know if the upgrades are worth it as well

I'd recommend asking Mike at Woo Audio what he feels the differences and benefits are. That should give you a baseline for the opinions of others like myself. He responds really quickly usually.

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #408 of 484
I have the regular version and love it. IMO Mundorf caps have a smoother, softer sound. I can't say for certain one is better than the other (standard vs upgrade). It just depends on your audio preference.

I listen to a lot of prog metal and I felt like the Mundorf upgrade would be counter-productive to my musical preference.

I'd recommend asking Mike at Woo Audio what he feels the differences and benefits are. That should give you a baseline for the opinions of others like myself. He responds really quickly usually.

I think I’ll do that, thanks.

It’s a good chunk of money which I could spend on tubes instead, but also FOMO :beyersmile:

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #409 of 484
I think I’ll do that, thanks.

It’s a good chunk of money which I could spend on tubes instead, but also FOMO :beyersmile:
There a like new regular model for sale in the classifieds.

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #410 of 484
Hi all, anyone here using Wa5 2nd gen with chord Dave / mscaler? Would love your thoughts on how it fits your susvara, utopia, etc…

I am getting a wa23 and wondering if wa5 would be a good compliment amp for more tubey lushness. Or maybe other sound signature ? Welcome descriptions:)

Thank you!

May 5, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #412 of 484
Hey

Just wondering if anyone here has heard the hifiman Arya with the wa5?

May 5, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #413 of 484
Hi all, anyone here using Wa5 2nd gen with chord Dave / mscaler? Would love your thoughts on how it fits your susvara, utopia, etc…

I am getting a wa23 and wondering if wa5 would be a good compliment amp for more tubey lushness. Or maybe other sound signature ? Welcome descriptions:)

Thank you!
Either way is probably close to end game combo.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #415 of 484
Hi,
What is wpc?
Thanks

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #416 of 484
Jun 5, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #417 of 484
I dont have a clear power output answer… but I can tell you that it drives the Susvara and the Abyss perfectly, lots of headroom.

Holo Bliss is my solid-state amp, and it is a flawless, refined powerhouse, designed to be the perfect engine for the Susvara. It puts out approximately 12 watts per channel, optimally fast with respect to slew rate, voltage swings… technologically, it’s an apples and oranges comparison to the 300B SET big Woo. But the 2 amps demonstrate a similar level of control and ease with those two power hog headphones

The parts upgrade is clearly superior too… I have had principle of opportunities to compare them. It’s a great amplifier either way, but the upgrade is a good expenditure

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #418 of 484
Thanks ThanatosVI & mortcola.
I believe the amp puts out 8 WPC in hi-power mode

I have the Abyss 1266 and it drives it with no problems.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #419 of 484
The new WA5-LE shares a faceplate with the new WA5 and looks nothing like previous one, which was quite spartan in comparison. The WA5-LE has both a 4-pin XLR output and 1/4″ headphone output jack in the front, both capable of outputting 8 watts of power. A switch in the front allows the listener to switch between HI and LO power as well as the speaker output, although this last option is not available on the WA5-LE, it is just there to tease you about not buying the full-fledged WA5. The HI and LO power switch allows you to toggle between a maximum of 8 watts and 1.5 watts of available power, depending on the amount you need for your headphones. An impedance switch allows you to toggle between HIGH and LOW impedance, depending on whether the headphones you are listening to are over or below 100 ohms. Additionally, the new WA5-LE has a level switch to toggle between HIGH and LOW level headphone outputs, and changes the input signal level. Depending on your headphones sensitivity the gain on the output can be changed with this switch to improve noise performance. Finally, an input switch in the front allows you to switch between the 3 inputs in the back, two single-ended RCA, and a single-ended XLR input; this is still not a balanced amplifier but the extra input is nice to have.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #420 of 484
WA5_Specs.png

Here's a clip from the manual showing various output power ratings at different impedances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back