Woo Audio WA5-LE Custom Build - For sale, see Post #64
Nov 13, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonoliew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahaha sorry bout the million questions. but now i'm seriously considering a maxed version of the wa6se similar to your build..
smily_headphones1.gif
any specific reason why you chose the wbt copper posts instead of the silver ones?

Price tag maybe...
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonoliew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahaha sorry bout the million questions. but now i'm seriously considering a maxed version of the wa6se similar to your build..
smily_headphones1.gif
any specific reason why you chose the wbt copper posts instead of the silver ones?

No, nothing special reason! Fell free to get the silver ones in your amp.
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #48 of 66
I think the stock version of the Woo 5 is a good price IMO. It's approximatley $3000 but it also functions as a speaker amp too plus the bonus of a seperate K1000 jack for added ease (nice touch) and 4 input selections. You also get a seperate killer massive power supply unit that weighs 40 pounds!-all in one package.

Tubes don't have to be expensive as it may appear. You can get some good vintage tubes for about $15 a piece on ebay and the stock Chinese 300B tubes actually sound very good when paired with some of the vintage 6SN7 and 5U4G tubes.

Of course, if you want to splurge, get the Black gates up grade and the Western Electric 300b tubes. It's a decadent amp like a Las Vegas suite baby.
chewie0ol.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #49 of 66
Deleted

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #50 of 66
Great job! I like the horns as well
wink.gif

For what it's worth, I just wanted to throw this out there - sorry it might be negative, but I had to say that there was a gentleman at a meet recently who had a modified Woo5 and Woo6/GS-1000, and he said that he liked the Woo6 better with those particular phones.

Beyond that I know nothing of the mods he had. I imagine the tubes chosen and the mods that are done can overcome that, but I just felt compelled to pass that on for what it's worth. Woo amps in general are to my tastes - thanks for sharing...

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #51 of 66
No question, the WA6 is a real good amp in it´s class but realy no comparsion to the WA5 LE.

In every aspect the 5-LE sounds like from an other planet
wink.gif

In the meantime, i change from the EML 300 B-Mash to the EML 300B-XLS and
roll the 6SN7-EH gold to a pair of russian 6H8C "1578".

These two tubes pushed the last percent out of the 5-LE.
Every single instrument "looks" so realistic, you think that it is possible to touch it.
Also the environment of the music. If you listen to jazz, thats recorded in a real jazz club, you think that you smell the cigaret smoke from the audiance.
Absolute amazing...
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow a 40lb power supply. What kind of electricity is that thing sucking up?

...only nuclear power for the WA5-LE Amp and my Grado GS-1000
gs1000.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #54 of 66
This description is making me lust for the WA5 LE I ordered 2 weeks ago. I suspect I have about another month of waiting.
k701smile.gif

What NOS 6sn7's have you tried in the WA5LE? I have a pair of NOS Sylvania 6sn7wgta brown base from the 60s in the mail. I tried to find a pair of Tung Sol round plates or Sylvania 1952 bad boys (with three holes) but they are mighty expensive if they can be found at all (~$400 a pair). I am just not not that they are THAT much better than some other cheaper 6sn7's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvb-projekt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No question, the WA6 is a real good amp in it´s class but realy no comparsion to the WA5 LE.

wink.gif

Every single instrument "looks" so realistic, you think that it is possible to touch it.
Also the environment of the music. If you listen to jazz, thats recorded in a real jazz club, you think that you smell the cigaret smoke from the audiance.
Absolute amazing...
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #55 of 66
I don´t try any NOS 6SN7, because in the 6SN7 thread they say
the Electro Harmonix 6SN7-EX Gold come very close to a Sylvania VT 231.
They sounds realy good.

A fiend of mine had a pair of the very rare russian
6H8C "1578" type. These bolw the EHX out of the amp!
smile.gif

So i say with these.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #56 of 66
I probably will order a WA-5 LE, and I was curious about the reason to change from EML 300B Mash to 300 B XLS.
Best regards,
Baard, Norway
Quote:

wink.gif

Absolute amazing...
beerchug.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #57 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnedr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I probably will order a WA-5 LE, and I was curious about the reason to change from EML 300B Mash to 300 B XLS.
Best regards,
Baard, Norway

Hi Baard,

the EML 300B-XLS had a little less room/surround information, but could focus everything in the room beter. They also have more punsh over the whole spectrum, if it is needed.
So in sum of all characteristics, for my subjectiv opinion, is is the better Tube in the 5-LE, but both play in an extrem high level!!!
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #58 of 66
Hello again,
do you have any thoughts about the EML 5U4G Mesh vs. the EML 274B Mesh for the WA-5 LE? (I know you chose the 5U4G, but I believe you have experience with both tubes, right?
Thanks,
Baard

Quote:

Hi Baard,

the EML 300B-XLS had a little less room/surround information, but could focus everything in the room beter. They also have more punsh over the whole spectrum, if it is needed.
So in sum of all characteristics, for my subjectiv opinion, is is the better Tube in the 5-LE, but both play in an extrem high level!!!
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnedr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello again,
do you have any thoughts about the EML 5U4G Mesh vs. the EML 274B Mesh for the WA-5 LE? (I know you chose the 5U4G, but I believe you have experience with both tubes, right?
Thanks,
Baard

Hi Baard,

you´re right. I had both tubes, but in two amps. The EML-274B runs in my first amp from Woo Audio, the WA6.
I choose the EML-5U4G for the WA-5 LE, because they are strongly recommended from Jack Woo and also from Jac van de Walle (JAC Music) for this amp.
They have more DC output current reserves for the 300B end-tubes.

Cheers,
Oliver

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #60 of 66
Can you take a close-up of the output transformers, or are they mainly hidden inside their covers? I have searched a number of Woo 5 threads and the Woo web site and links and there just isn't much reference to the output transformers, their specs, construction and materials. My experience with SETs is that the output transformers can have a very significant impact on sound quality, but that good ones are very expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back