Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Aug 30, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #2,011 of 2,691
Phase splitter has been in use for many years. Most likely 2014 or earlier. This is a many times recurring theme from the older WA22 threads. I had a big interest in finding solid answers on the splitter and headphones outputs before buying my 2015 build WA22. Perhaps there is more to the storey on the 2nd gens. Can you expand on it?
You are correct, I can't believe I missed the year of the Phase Splitter was introduced, in 2014. My brain just lumped it in with the 2nd Gen release in 2018, which was when Woo introduced the XLR Preamp and the "sonic improvement" to the amp.

So this means there are many units with the flush mount 1/4" with no preamp, but do have the Phase Splitter installed.

I’m going to have to go back make edit corrections on my posts, I don’t want to mislead anyone.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #2,012 of 2,691
OK, I'm on the hunt for a WA22. I've determined that I'd be equally as happy with a Gen 1 vs. Gen 2. There's a pricey one in the classifieds, but I'd be open to see what else is out there. If any current owners are interested in selling, let me know. I'll likely place at WTB ad too.

Sep 1, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #2,013 of 2,691
I've had my WA22 for a little over a month now, and I must say...I get it now.

This is my first tube amp. I had heard what they were capable of doing (especially, on ZMFs, as I have the Atrium), but didn't quite realize just how amazing it can get. This is probably the first time where I understood what 'holographic soundstage' really was. This is all with the stock tubes as well. I'm simply loving my music all over again. But, I know it can be better...

That said, I think it's time to start tube rolling. This is all very new to me. What tubes really get you the most bang for the buck when it comes to replacing? Should I start with the rectifier and then go from there? Get that where I want then upgrade the power and driver tubes?

For sound, I want to play up the strengths of the Atrium. I can definitely tell that the bass needs some more presence over what the stock tubes are offering, especially in the sub bass. Mids are pretty great right now, but I think the highs are just a touch too sharp. Any tips are very welcome. I'm very excited to play around and experiment with this damn amazing amp!

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #2,014 of 2,691
Woo's tend to do very well with upgraded Rectifiers. There are quite a few directions you can go - NOS Brimars are quite good, as are other offerings by WE, GEC, etc. The other route would be to go with newer rectifiers. My personal favorite is the Elrog 5U4G. Others include the Takatsuki 274B, USAF "Mighty" 596 (with a Woo adapter), and the EML 5U4G Mesh. There's a mega-thread HERE for you to read through.

The biggest thing I noticed up front by replacing the rectifier is that I no longer had "tube sag" which you can hear as you get into some more power-demanding music (rock, metal, heavy orchestral, etc.) Best way to describe it is the amp sounds like it's running out of power to push the music very strongly. In addition, stronger rectifiers really bolster the lower end and help the mids really shine. They also push the high end to be brilliant without becoming shrill.

From the rectifier, then you can start tweaking the other tubes. I'm not super familiar with the 6080 power tubes, so I'll defer to others opinions there. As for the drive tubes, there's a LOT of different directions to go with the 6SN7 - the current "favorite child" is NOS Melz 1578 (ask @paradoxper or @AndriiUkraine if he still has a set for sale). My other favorites right now are NOS Tung Sol (or Sylvania) 6F8G's with adapters. They're getting quite expensive, but you can find them on eBay from time to time for under $200/pair. There's a mega-thread devoted to the 6SN7 that'll take you days to read - all great stuff in there.

The best part of tube rolling is that you get to customize your listening experience to your tastes. Try something out, see if you like it, and if not, roll them out and try something else!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #2,015 of 2,691
Woo's tend to do very well with upgraded Rectifiers. There are quite a few directions you can go - NOS Brimars are quite good, as are other offerings by WE, GEC, etc. The other route would be to go with newer rectifiers. My personal favorite is the Elrog 5U4G. Others include the Takatsuki 274B, USAF "Mighty" 596 (with a Woo adapter), and the EML 5U4G Mesh. There's a mega-thread HERE for you to read through.

The biggest thing I noticed up front by replacing the rectifier is that I no longer had "tube sag" which you can hear as you get into some more power-demanding music (rock, metal, heavy orchestral, etc.) Best way to describe it is the amp sounds like it's running out of power to push the music very strongly. In addition, stronger rectifiers really bolster the lower end and help the mids really shine. They also push the high end to be brilliant without becoming shrill.

From the rectifier, then you can start tweaking the other tubes. I'm not super familiar with the 6080 power tubes, so I'll defer to others opinions there. As for the drive tubes, there's a LOT of different directions to go with the 6SN7 - the current "favorite child" is NOS Melz 1578 (ask @paradoxper or @AndriiUkraine if he still has a set for sale). My other favorites right now are NOS Tung Sol (or Sylvania) 6F8G's with adapters. They're getting quite expensive, but you can find them on eBay from time to time for under $200/pair. There's a mega-thread devoted to the 6SN7 that'll take you days to read - all great stuff in there.

The best part of tube rolling is that you get to customize your listening experience to your tastes. Try something out, see if you like it, and if not, roll them out and try something else!
That's great info- I had always considered the tube rectifier to be the least significant of the bunch (at least it usually is in guitar amps, so HiFi is a different ballgame, apparently).

Question for all of you: I continue to research the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2. After speaking to Jack Wu, he stated that another difference (and perhaps the only one that would be of interest to me) is that Gen 2 has different transformers. He compared it like going from a 4-cylinder car to an 8-cylinder car with the Gen 2.

Have any of you listed to both Gen 1 and Gen 2 and can speak to any difference in tone, power, performance, etc.? There are savings to be had if I buy a Gen 1, so I'm really hoping to know.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #2,016 of 2,691
Honestly, you're probably over-analyzing the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Buy whatever you can find that's in your budget. You probably won't find anyone that has compared a Gen 1 directly to a Gen 2. Even then, you'd need to compare the amps using the same tubes. And please bookmark this link. It's the most recent Tube Compatibility Chart from Woo Audio.

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #2,017 of 2,691
Honestly, you're probably over-analyzing the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Buy whatever you can find that's in your budget. You probably won't find anyone that has compared a Gen 1 directly to a Gen 2. Even then, you'd need to compare the amps using the same tubes. And please bookmark this link. It's the most recent Tube Compatibility Chart from Woo Audio.
Thanks- I appreciate it.

I thought overthinking, agonizing, etc. are part of the audiophile decision process?:gs1000smile:

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #2,018 of 2,691
Thanks- I appreciate it.

I thought overthinking, agonizing, etc. are part of the audiophile decision process?:gs1000smile:
It is, but so is the “what if” nag in the back of your mind; until you’ve heard the amp, dac, headphones, cables, tubes or whatever the new thing is.

The only true way to know if one is “better” or just different than the other is to hear both yourself, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #2,019 of 2,691
I've had my WA22 for a little over a month now, and I must say...I get it now.

This is my first tube amp. I had heard what they were capable of doing (especially, on ZMFs, as I have the Atrium), but didn't quite realize just how amazing it can get. This is probably the first time where I understood what 'holographic soundstage' really was. This is all with the stock tubes as well. I'm simply loving my music all over again. But, I know it can be better...

That said, I think it's time to start tube rolling. This is all very new to me. What tubes really get you the most bang for the buck when it comes to replacing? Should I start with the rectifier and then go from there? Get that where I want then upgrade the power and driver tubes?

For sound, I want to play up the strengths of the Atrium. I can definitely tell that the bass needs some more presence over what the stock tubes are offering, especially in the sub bass. Mids are pretty great right now, but I think the highs are just a touch too sharp. Any tips are very welcome. I'm very excited to play around and experiment with this damn amazing amp!
You can never go wrong with the Sophia Princess tube, the 274B looks as good as it sounds.

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #2,020 of 2,691
That's great info- I had always considered the tube rectifier to be the least significant of the bunch (at least it usually is in guitar amps, so HiFi is a different ballgame, apparently).

Question for all of you: I continue to research the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2. After speaking to Jack Wu, he stated that another difference (and perhaps the only one that would be of interest to me) is that Gen 2 has different transformers. He compared it like going from a 4-cylinder car to an 8-cylinder car with the Gen 2.

Have any of you listed to both Gen 1 and Gen 2 and can speak to any difference in tone, power, performance, etc.? There are savings to be had if I buy a Gen 1, so I'm really hoping to know.
….a choice between saving money or saving sanity…😜?

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #2,021 of 2,691
….a choice between saving money or saving sanity…😜?
Oh, I’ve lost my sanity at this point! I really wish amp buying was simpler. Clearly, I’ve narrowed down my search to a couple of amps that are simply unavailable to me unless I buy new.

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #2,022 of 2,691
Oh, I’ve lost my sanity at this point! I really wish amp buying was simpler. Clearly, I’ve narrowed down my search to a couple of amps that are simply unavailable to me unless I buy new.
Establish a priority list:

1) Budget
2) Sound 'signature'
3) Tube rolling options
4) Visual appearance
5) Features
etc.

Figure out which priorities will drive your decision-making. Analysis paralysis and FOMO are very real and will keep you from making a decision. Just remember, there is no wrong answer. Worst-case scenario you box it up and resell it. You take a little hit financially but gain a wealth of information you can apply to your next decision. Personally, I find value in buying quality used pieces from reputable sellers (here or elsewhere). This is a hobby, after all. Have FUN with it!

(Also, Gen 2 IMO).

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #2,023 of 2,691
In this hobby, all you need is patience and it will reward you handsomely($$$). In the meantime just replenish your wallet and looking for NOS tubes

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #2,024 of 2,691

Thanks. I've been eyeing both the Elrog and the EML, but I can't find them in stock anywhere to buy right now. Rather annoying, but it is what it is. I have been going through lots of those other tube threads. Lots to read!

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #2,025 of 2,691
The h/p/a which you seek are so good in the absolute, or at their price points, that current owners are loathe to sell unless a ‘quantum’ upgrade is in the works…😒🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back