Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Aug 28, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #1,981 of 2,694
This is my favorite combination for WA22.

TS5998 tubes
TS 6SL7 tall tubes
Mullard GZ37

It is getting harder and harder and more expensive to acquire the TS 5998 tubes , i was lucky to get additional 2 pairs as back up.

PXL_20220828_231723655.jpg
PXL_20220828_165357749.jpg

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #1,982 of 2,694
This is my favorite combination for WA22.

TS5998 tubes
TS 6SL7 tall tubes
Mullard GZ37

It is getting harder and harder and more expensive to acquire the TS 5998 tubes , i was lucky to get additional 2 pairs as back up.

PXL_20220828_231723655.jpgPXL_20220828_165357749.jpg
Hi friend. You’re absolutely right about that. The 5998 (especially Tungsol brand ) is hard to get at a reasonable cost.
You’ve got a beautiful setup there. Just enjoy it.
Also. I’m kind of excited I’m gonna finally do my first tube swap soon and it is going to be with the driver tube(s) section. Details and pics to come soon. :)

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #1,983 of 2,694
Hello all. Just wanted to ask a question for anyone interested. Do any of you use the Pre Amp section with your WA 22?

Last night I used it with my Burson Soloist with great success. I dial the WA 22 pre at about 60% of the volume pot, then adjust the main volume pot from the soloist as needed. Now that my tubes are broken in with terrific character, the pre amp section is really quite good!!

Overall though. My favourite listening experience is using the WA 22 direct out of the dual 3pin XLR out. :)
The WA 22 has some cool features. Hope everyone here is making use of them. :wink:

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #1,984 of 2,694
Hello all. Just wanted to ask a question for anyone interested. Do any of you use the Pre Amp section with your WA 22?

Last night I used it with my Burson Soloist with great success. I dial the WA 22 pre at about 60% of the volume pot, then adjust the main volume pot from the soloist as needed. Now that my tubes are broken in with terrific character, the pre amp section is really quite good!!

Overall though. My favourite listening experience is using the WA 22 direct out of the dual 3pin XLR out. :)
The WA 22 has some cool features. Hope everyone here is making use of them. :wink:
I used mine with the Soloist GT before I sold the GT. I enjoyed it with certain headphones like the lcd x. I prefer my ZMF cans straight out of the wa22. It is a cool feature to have to change things up a bit. I plan on getting another ss amp eventually and I'm sure I will use it when I do.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #1,985 of 2,694

Yes! In fact that was a big reason I bought it, to simplify my system with preamp and headphone amp in the same box. I probably use my speakers more than my headphones today, but that will be changing as Mrs. CA approaches retirement.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #1,987 of 2,694
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #1,988 of 2,694
I used mine with the Soloist GT before I sold the GT. I enjoyed it with certain headphones like the lcd x. I prefer my ZMF cans straight out of the wa22. It is a cool feature to have to change things up a bit. I plan on getting another ss amp eventually and I'm sure I will use it when I do.
I express the same enthusiasm as you. “I like to change things up a bit.”
Yeah I’m like you. Love the differences. :)

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #1,989 of 2,694
As a prospective buyer (having just heard the WA22 and loved it), what would you guys say about the WA2 vs WA22? The WA2 has also been recommended to me by someone.

I don't know that the balanced/single-ended thing makes a difference to me. I think my DAC connected via RCA cables and my ZMF headphones with 1/4" terminals are good- Unless there's a compelling argument that things are $1000 better with balanced cables. I'm definitely interested in what you guys have to say.

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #1,991 of 2,694
The benefit comes from using a balanced DAC, or source as an input.

All three headphone outputs are wired in parallel, meaning they’re all providing the exact same signal. There isn’t a benefit in using the balanced outputs vs the 1/4”, other than convenience, cable preferences, or cable quality.
This good to know. I just researched a bit and found this article (from a source that I really trust!) and noted that the balanced vs. single-ended headphone output may not matter, but the components (DAC to amp for example) could benefit from balanced due to higher voltages being utilized in a desirable way. Just as @muckyfingers has stated! I learned something new today, so thank you!

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...Z45MrwW1oW-qp9-A7m13hfoBAsVEn5DxoC9t0QAvD_BwE

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #1,992 of 2,694
The benefit comes from using a balanced DAC, or source as an input.

All three headphone outputs are wired in parallel, meaning they’re all providing the exact same signal. There isn’t a benefit in using the balanced outputs vs the 1/4”, other than convenience, cable preferences, or cable quality.

Disagree that 1/4" is exactly the same as the balanced, because (at least on mine) the balanced is twice as loud. I think the the 1/4" output is just the + phase of the balanced signal. Which goes back to your point about using a balanced DAC. And that is if the DAC is truly balanced (converts both + and - phases of the L and R channel) then differencing them at the headphones cancels out artifacts from the digital to analog conversion and (at least in theory) gives better performance.

I can only speak for myself but my DAC (Denafrips Terminator 2) sounds noticeably better using a fully balanced signal path to my headphones (or speakers) then anything else.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #1,993 of 2,694
Disagree that 1/4" is exactly the same as the balanced, because (at least on mine) the balanced is twice as loud. I think the the 1/4" output is just the + phase of the balanced signal. Which goes back to your point about using a balanced DAC. And that is if the DAC is truly balanced (converts both + and - phases of the L and R channel) then differencing them at the headphones cancels out artifacts from the digital to analog conversion and (at least in theory) gives better performance.

I can only speak for myself but my DAC (Denafrips Terminator 2) sounds noticeably better using a fully balanced signal path to my headphones (or speakers) then anything else.

If you have a 1st Generation WA22 without phase splitter, the balanced input will give you louder outputs across all headphone connectors, the XLR out to the headphone will still be the same volume as the 1/4", again because they are wired in parallel. The RCA input will only use half the amplifier circuit, thus only giving you half the volume, even if using the XLR output.

On later Gen 1 models and on all Gen 2 models, Woo began using phase splitters on the RCA inputs, to give you the same volume as the Balanced input. You can still send in your 1st Generation unit for this upgrade, for about $350.

If you open up your unit, you can see that all the headphone connectors are wired together, they are the same signal. You can also double check this with a multimeter, there is nothing different from the XLR outputs and the 1/4" output, other than the connector itself.

edit: Phase Splitters were introduced in 2014, prior to the 2nd Generation WA22

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #1,994 of 2,694
I have a (very early) 2nd gen, and with balanced input the 1/4" output is clearly not as loud as the balanced output. Maybe there is a problem with mine, but in practice I only use balanced in and out so it is really only of academic interest to me. Regardless, I'll stop telling my "less output on the 1/4" output story." cuz your story makes sense.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #1,995 of 2,694
I have a (very early) 2nd gen, and with balanced input the 1/4" output is clearly not as loud as the balanced output. Maybe there is a problem with mine, but in practice I only use balanced in and out so it is really only of academic interest to me. Regardless, I'll stop telling my "less output on the 1/4" output story." cuz your story makes sense.
Maybe we’re both right and they changed the way the 1/4” output is wired once the phase splitter was introduced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back