Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Oct 10, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #811 of 2,691
Have any of you used a 5670 to 6SN7 adaptor to run WE2C51 or any 6N3 family tubes? I've seen pics and know the adapters are out there, just dont know if its a viable option or not. Thanks

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #812 of 2,691
Hi folks, first time here on this thread. Just pick up a used WA22 and it's super quiet with any tubes I've used so far. This amp sounds great with Verite and HD800. Who would have known. :)

IMG-3720.JPG

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #813 of 2,691
It'll be a weekend of using Woo Audio WA22, Glenn OTL amp and ALO Audio Studio Six with ZMF Verite Open and HD800 headphones.

WA22 using GEC U52, Tung Sol 6F8G and Bendix 6080wb. Glenn OTL using Mulllard ECC33 and 6 x GE 6BX7gt.

IMG-3733.JPG

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #814 of 2,691
The amps are so close to each other yet there's no interference and noise. Dead quiet when no music is on.

This is the setup. Studio Six has to be move to the bench for the time being.

IMG-3734.JPG

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #815 of 2,691
Very early listening impressions. Both amps with those tubes are pretty amazing sounding with ZMF Verite Open. Fast, clear, nuanced, dynamic and engaging. I notice quite a lot of WA22 using dual 6BL7 or 6BX7 as power tubes. If you like 6BL7 tone, you should get a listen to 6 of them as power tubes in GOTL. It's as good as it gets. However the WA22 with these tubes are right up there in musicality. I have a hard time deciding which amp to use. One song each. :)

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #816 of 2,691
for power tubes.. I am quite liking the Mullard 6080 over the TS5998 and WE421A.

is it just me? because I've read so many posts on the awesomeness of the WE421A..

I'll try the Mullard 6080 in a sec. :) I have almost all the different types of power tubes.

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #817 of 2,691
Decided to retire my WA2 and upgrade to the WA22 earlier this week. I also ended up ordering a Sofia 274b rectifier. Fortunately years and years of owning a WA2 has left me with a nice stock of 6AS7G/6080 and 6SN7 tubes to roll right into the WA22. It will be interesting to compare against my GS-X Mk2, sourced by a Benchmark DAC3.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #818 of 2,691
Hi folks, first time here on this thread. Just pick up a used WA22 and it's super quiet with any tubes I've used so far. This amp sounds great with Verite and HD800. Who would have known. :)

Still have mine i use it with HD800S and Grado RS2E. Tubes are 5998 as powers along with 6SC7 and 6Z4GY as Rectifier

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #819 of 2,691
Decided to retire my WA2 and upgrade to the WA22 earlier this week. I also ended up ordering a Sofia 274b rectifier. Fortunately years and years of owning a WA2 has left me with a nice stock of 6AS7G/6080 and 6SN7 tubes to roll right into the WA22. It will be interesting to compare against my GS-X Mk2, sourced by a Benchmark DAC3.

How's it going so far?
If u like the Sophia 274b, u may like the emission labs 5u4g mesh. I find better soundstage and prat with the eml tube. Slightly brighter up top too.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #820 of 2,691
How's it going so far?
If u like the Sophia 274b, u may like the emission labs 5u4g mesh. I find better soundstage and prat with the eml tube. Slightly brighter up top too.
I actually haven't received the amp just yet. I'm trading my WA2 in to receive a new WA22, and haven't yet sent the WA2 back to Woo Audio. In the meantime I've been getting used to my brand new DAC3 B and GS-X Mk2, but I do miss having a tube amp and I'm excited to compare the WA22 to the GS-X Mk2.

I do have plans on eventually trying the EML 5U4G, but will probably try to pick up one or two NOS tubes first. In my experience older tubes typically sound pretty darn good considering their price.

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #822 of 2,691
That’s the thing... on my WA22 at home there is no hiss, just hum. And I’ve tried every combination of tubes I have and the hum doesn’t really change. It’s the demo unit I tried that had a bit of hiss and no hum and at typical listening levels was dead quiet. That’s what I’m after and why I think there’s still something wrong with my unit.

I must be lucky. My 'used' WA22 is totally hum free with any tubes I use, including this dual 6BX7 as power tubes for each channel. I've often been curious what WA22 owners hears with 4 x 6bx7 as compared to my GOTL running 6 x 6bx7. Well now I can find out for myself.

The WA22 SET amp with these tubes are as punchy and as dynamic as the GOTL with sextet 6bx7. WA22 slightly leaner and sharper but very good. GOTL running Mullard EL32 and 6 x 6bx7 has incredible punch and force and the OTL tube tone is just beautiful. Which do I like better? It's hard to say really. Both amps are incredible with Verite Open and HD800.

IMG-3786.JPG

IMG-3328.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-3368.JPG
    IMG-3368.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #823 of 2,691
Please do let us know what you think of the 22 compared to the MK2. I was really considering getting an MK2 but was concerned about the brightness many reviews mention. Normally that wouldn't concern me, but I recently had to let go of my SR-009S and KGSSHV Carbon as I found over time the nature of that treble heavy tonality begain to have an adverse effect on my ears that hasn't completely gone away yet. Coming back to planars and tubes has made things quite a bit better, but none the less I am still curious about the MK2. I have an SPL Phonitor XE on the way that I am looking forward to try and compare to the WA22 as well.

Also I have to ask those of you that have used both the new tubes and NOS tubes, which do you prefer? I have always been of the understanding the NOS tubes will typically sound better. Also I have read quite a few posts that talk about the newer tubes being prone to blow up and damage the amp. Is there any validity to this?

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #824 of 2,691
Please do let us know what you think of the 22 compared to the MK2. I was really considering getting an MK2 but was concerned about the brightness many reviews mention. Normally that wouldn't concern me, but I recently had to let go of my SR-009S and KGSSHV Carbon as I found over time the nature of that treble heavy tonality begain to have an adverse effect on my ears that hasn't completely gone away yet. Coming back to planars and tubes has made things quite a bit better, but none the less I am still curious about the MK2. I have an SPL Phonitor XE on the way that I am looking forward to try and compare to the WA22 as well.

Also I have to ask those of you that have used both the new tubes and NOS tubes, which do you prefer? I have always been of the understanding the NOS tubes will typically sound better. Also I have read quite a few posts that talk about the newer tubes being prone to blow up and damage the amp. Is there any validity to this?

I've been listening to the LCD-2C's with a Benchmark DAC3 and the GS-X Mk2 and would hardly describe it as bright. It's incredibly transparent and neutral, but this amp is very much source dependent and will really let your headphones sound the way they were designed. My PS Audio DL III was not cutting it, but the Benchmark DAC3 has been a very nice pairing. I expect the WA22 will also be a very nice pairing but will add a touch of warmth to the mid range and low end. Who's to say, have to hear it first!

I have typically preferred NOS tubes because, in my experience, they seem to have a fuller mid range. I assume this is because most of these tubes were developed during the radio era and the tubes were designed to reproduce a human voice. I can't remember where I heard that but it at least makes sense in my head.

I haven't had any issues of NOS or newer tubes blowing up in my amps, but I've always stayed away from adapters and tubes from shady sellers, and stuck with using tubes that the amps were designed for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back