Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Oct 26, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #841 of 2,685
Thanks for the advice and the tube info. Any particular 6BL7's to look for? I know there was at least one person in this thread who was using this adapter to run 1 6BL7 and 1 6SN7 per side and he said it sounded nice, but I'm 100% new to the dual adapters and don't wanna damage anything.

Thanks

I just search Quad 6BL7 on ebay. I bought s spare quad yesterday. It's around $70-$80.

Hope you enjoy

Joao

Oct 26, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #842 of 2,685
I love the way the Sophia and EML tube glow, but I have always been of the understanding, like you, that NOS is going to sound better. Now to find some NOS that sound awesome with a nice glow.

Glad to hear that the MK2 isn't as bright as some have suggested. I've had that confirmed by more than a few people lately. They did say that mainly applies to planars and it might not be a fantastic idea to run a Utopia or pair of HD800's with it. Either way I will find out soon as I will have one on order in the next week. Have you used either of the two as a preamp for the other yet? I imagine they will pair nicely in either scenario.
My WA22 gets delivered on Tuesday. I was planning on using the balanced loop outs on my GS-X to feed the WA22, but hadn’t thought about using one as a preamp. I may test that out after the stock tubes burn in a bit and I start rolling in other tubes.

Speaking of tubes, I recently picked up a 1950 Tung-Sol 5U4G with ribbed plates, and a NOS RCA 5R4GY with smooth plates, which I’ve heard sound very nice. The Sophia 274B is being delivered with the WA22, which should make for plenty of rectifiers to try out. I’ve got an entire box filled with tons of 6AS7G/6080/7236 and 6SN7’s too.

Oct 26, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #843 of 2,685
My WA22 gets delivered on Tuesday. I was planning on using the balanced loop outs on my GS-X to feed the WA22, but hadn’t thought about using one as a preamp. I may test that out after the stock tubes burn in a bit and I start rolling in other tubes.

Speaking of tubes, I recently picked up a 1950 Tung-Sol 5U4G with ribbed plates, and a NOS RCA 5R4GY with smooth plates, which I’ve heard sound very nice. The Sophia 274B is being delivered with the WA22, which should make for plenty of rectifiers to try out. I’ve got an entire box filled with tons of 6AS7G/6080/7236 and 6SN7’s too.
Dont know why I thought you already got yours, but either way I think your gonna dig it. You are fortunate to have so many tube options to play with. Tube rolling/collecting could easily be considered a hobby of its own and that coupled with hifi audio makes for quite the expensive combo haha. I've already spent well over $1K on tubes and I've only had my amp for a month or two. gotta calm down... after I get some more of course.

Oct 26, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #844 of 2,685
Dont know why I thought you already got yours, but either way I think your gonna dig it. You are fortunate to have so many tube options to play with. Tube rolling/collecting could easily be considered a hobby of its own and that coupled with hifi audio makes for quite the expensive combo haha. I've already spent well over $1K on tubes and I've only had my amp for a month or two. gotta calm down... after I get some more of course.
I was in the same boat, and it's exactly how I ended up with thousands of dollars of tubes as well. I've found that after rolling in a few different types of tubes, I'll usually just listen to 2 or 3 variants and leave the rest alone. Heck, the last year with my WA2 I listened to nothing but RFT EZ81's, Chatham 6AS7G's, and Tung-Sol 6SN7's with the Woo adapters. Tube rolling can be fun, but IMO it's more fun to find a set or two you like and just enjoy the music. Money is better spent on different headphones, which will have a MUCH larger impact on sound signature.

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #845 of 2,685
Wow thank you @thecrow thats a good price and if I'm not mistaken arent those pretty much the same as the TS5998. I was of the understanding that TS was the only one to have made the 5998 though I very well could be mistaken.
They should be the same (or pretty much) from my understanding.

the best tubes for my prefs are the gec6as7g. I have found some in the past around $100-$200 each. The ones i have bought (5 or 6 tubes) have never been matched pairs, they probably have never been 100% NOS, in fact i will never take readings on ebay as fact, and 2 or 3 of them have developed a slight hum when music is not being played.

but for what i have paid i have been happy with them and if they had pinging sounds or hums when i first bought then i would have returned them if sold as good to me

if it costs $650 for an excellent pair from a reputable seller that i am hoping will last 8000 hours then i am happy to have paid $150 per tube if it ends up lasting say 3000 hours.
But i usually only bought tubes from sellers with a long and excellent history.

for me the gec6as7g are the tubes i use 90% of the time. Plug in and forget for my prefs.

ps i have always wondered what an authentic 100%nos pair would sound like compared to mine but as i already like mine I’m not too fussed at all and I don’t need to buy any more

ps for what it’s worth i have the wa2 and not the wa22

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #846 of 2,685
My experience has shown me ending up with a few more tubes than i need but my tip would be it seriously is about quality v quantity of variety of tubes and if you see a common thread here re views of certain tubes then it’s probably prettty accurate and save your $ by not going to far left of centre ....unless you are happy to spend money in order to experiment

i have seen a number of members buy so many tubes and buy different years of the same tube to only sell some later on and others that buy adapters left right and centre.

I would like to think that tube amps are made with those particular tube kinds in mind and playing with adapters are nothing more than playing experimenting for the sake of it - which is still ok if you want to

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #847 of 2,685
I appreciate the advice guys. I am thinking I would like to have two solid set ups since I don't really want to just roll tubes endlessly. Nice to have a different tonal quality on standby when that need arises. Both of you have made suggestions to try and avoid adapters and at this point I think thats probably what I am thinking if for nothing other than simplicity's sake. If I throw adapters into that mix the options for experimentation become endless. I've got two pairs of very good quality NOS drivers that I am enjoying right now, and one nice NOS rectifier. Those were from Brent Jessee and then I picked up a couple matched pairs of NOS Sylvania 7236's which are nice but I'd like to try something with a smoother sweeter sound. Thinkin maybe bendix 6080wb or the TS5998. Last on the list is likely a WE422a to run as a rectifier or a 274b... if I win some money or somethin haha.

But after reading your more experienced tube rolling views I am likely gonna try and stick as closely to the non adapter required tubes for a good while if not indefinitely.

Thanks guys.

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #848 of 2,685
I appreciate the advice guys. I am thinking I would like to have two solid set ups since I don't really want to just roll tubes endlessly. Nice to have a different tonal quality on standby when that need arises. Both of you have made suggestions to try and avoid adapters and at this point I think thats probably what I am thinking if for nothing other than simplicity's sake. If I throw adapters into that mix the options for experimentation become endless. I've got two pairs of very good quality NOS drivers that I am enjoying right now, and one nice NOS rectifier. Those were from Brent Jessee and then I picked up a couple matched pairs of NOS Sylvania 7236's which are nice but I'd like to try something with a smoother sweeter sound. Thinkin maybe bendix 6080wb or the TS5998. Last on the list is likely a WE422a to run as a rectifier or a 274b... if I win some money or somethin haha.

But after reading your more experienced tube rolling views I am likely gonna try and stick as closely to the non adapter required tubes for a good while if not indefinitely.

Thanks guys.
If this is of any use my experience has given me these opinions:

once i had my gec6as7g i had no need for the tung sols at all BUT this may not be the case for all other users. I view the tung sols as the secondary option

however the bendix 6080wb graphite slotted tubes i have don’t have the same extension at all but there is a real weight to this sound (that’s the key character of their sound)(and the physical tubes themselves are heavy). Found them good for my deep purple collection. That kind of genre/sound. No graininess to them that some cheaper tubes can have. Fair detail (ie pretty good but not exceptional) on them but not necessarily open or extended in sound.

but last time i looked at these bendix tubes on ebay i thought they were overpriced. About $300 or so a pair last time i checked. I think they are pretty rare. The tung sols would provide a sound that i think would have broader appeal (if you don’t go the gec path). I got lucky and bought them from some bloke in italy two or three years ago at a decent price and they have been good

I don’t know from any experience of other bendix tubes (i have never tried any others) but i have been told these 6080b with the slotted graphite are the ones to get in the bendix tubes

And then there is the less expensive and more laid back tubes that are not to be discounted for that style and for bang for buck. Eg gec6080 from the uk

IMHO. YMMV

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #849 of 2,685
That is very helpful information indeed my friend. I would love to be able to drop money on as many tubes as I could get my hands on, but that is simply not an option for me. I may try the Tung Sols first, or if by some miracle I can find a decent price on them the GEC's. I'm still curious about the WE421a's, but those are certainly priced well for the seller.

Any good rectifier recommendations? Preferably something NOS with a nice bright glow. In the end sound is obviously more important than aesthetics, but would be nice to have both.

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #850 of 2,685
I wouldn't drop money on the big name power tubes just yet. Pick up some quality matched 6AS7G's and see how you like them. I have some Tung Sol and Chatham 6AS7G's that sound great and didn't cost an arm and a leg. RCA's can also be had for a fair price. Here are the two rectifiers I just got that I'll be swapping in at some point:

1950 Tung Sol 5U4G Ribbed Plate
NOS RCA JAN 5R4GY Smooth Plate

Both are fairly inexpensive, and have different plate structures that may be interesting to compare. I'll spend money on the EML or something more exotic if these don't do it for me.

Oct 27, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #851 of 2,685
That seems like sound advice. I may have to take some time to figure out which ebay dealers can be trusted and take advantage of the better pricing. Let me know how you like those rectifiers.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #852 of 2,685
Hey guys, Does anyone know of a good power tube that will work well with the mullard ecc35? Using the ecc35 with 5998's at the moment and somthing is a little off with the lcd 3s. Also are these the same 6080 mullards that people say sound good https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MULLARD...m3cdbe68316:g:6fYAAOSwnHZYfOVS&frcectupt=true. Also if anyone has a lead on some gec curved brown base 6as7g please let me know.

Thanks
I have been listening using LCD-MX4’s for drivers I have a match pair of 6f8g with Woo adapters, a 596 rectifier & Bendix 6080wb power tubes the sound out of this combo is super 3d lovely layering, doesn’t matter the genre.
I listen to both vinyl and hi-res mac mini Roon chord qutest or hugo 2. Can’t find a cleaner combo with this amp. 596 sounds way shaper and impactful that the Sophia.
Hope this helps

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #853 of 2,685
My new WA22 was delivered today, it's currently burning in a bit with the stock tubes before I replace them with something nicer.

One thought regarding the stock tubes, for a $2,500 amp I would have expected something a bit nicer. Fortunately 99% of the people out there will be replacing the tubes anyways, but it seems silly to ship such a nice amp with what appear to be 80's/90's era Russian tubes.

Oh well, I'm still looking forward to listening to the new WA22 and comparing it against the GS-X Mk2.

008.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #854 of 2,685
My new WA22 was delivered today, it's currently burning in a bit with the stock tubes before I replace them with something nicer.

One thought regarding the stock tubes, for a $2,500 amp I would have expected something a bit nicer. Fortunately 99% of the people out there will be replacing the tubes anyways, but it seems silly to ship such a nice amp with what appear to be 80's/90's era Russian tubes.

Oh well, I'm still looking forward to listening to the new WA22 and comparing it against the GS-X Mk2.

Russian tubes now? Really?

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #855 of 2,685
Yeah, it came with RCA 6080WA power tubes, Russian 6H8C preamp tubes, and a Russian 5U3C rectifier. These seem to be the preamp tubes, while this seems to match the rectifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back