Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Apr 3, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #2,641 of 2,692
About to roll a recently acquired matched pair of GEC 6080 power tubes from the Hammersmith era.

I feel like Ted Knight in Caddyshack, lewdly fondling his prized putter--the Billy Baroo.

Oh Billy....Billy...Billy..... :wink:

1712193399250.png
.... did you get a discount for the uneven GEC labels? .... šŸ¤£

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #2,642 of 2,692
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #2,643 of 2,692
I have never tried Mullard 6080, but have had nothing but positive experiences with Mullard tubes over the years. Not familiar with the particular codes on this example, but if they're pre-1970, made at the Blackburn, Mitchum, or Holland plants, those would be top quality.

Also- Listening to my low impedance Abyss 1266 headphones and notice they sound better (punchier, better bass) on the "HI" setting vs. the "LO" setting that they are intended to use. Go figure. I believe there's no harm in running low impedance headphones on the high sensitivity setting on my WA22.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #2,644 of 2,692
Apr 5, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #2,645 of 2,692
How can you determine when a tube was made?
CV2984-1.jpg

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #2,646 of 2,692
I actually just picked up a used Gen 1 myself last week. Sounds pretty good with the existing tubes but I was just curious and I'll display my ignorance. It's possible to increase power output by upgrading the two power tubes? For example I read somewhere that using 7236 power tubes would increase output by as much as 1/2 watt over stock tubes? I'm listening tfor the most part through Audeze LCD-4z's so relatively low impedance. Set on the "lo" setting I'm at around the 1PM position on the gain knob for my normal listening level so not pushing it that hard I think. Thanks.
I believe the manual actually mentions specifically that the top power rating they quote at high impedance is for the 7236 tube. They also designate 3 tube types as ā€œhigh powerā€ or some phrase similar to that - 7236, 5998, and 421a.

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #2,647 of 2,692
Apr 7, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #2,648 of 2,692
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #2,649 of 2,692
About to roll a recently acquired matched pair of GEC 6080 power tubes from the Hammersmith era.

I feel like Ted Knight in Caddyshack, lewdly fondling his prized putter--the Billy Baroo.

Oh Billy....Billy...Billy..... :wink:

I have about 12 hours on these tubes now and they have settled in. My initial observations: 1) The 6080s are quieter than the Tung Sol 5998 tubes I had in the output position previously. Not quite silent, but less hum at zero volume---and effectively at a level where I would take hum off the list of cons to the default TS5998s. 2) Much more usable volume range due to the lower gain in these tubes (probably a ZMF VC attribute though so YMMV depending on your cans). If you imagine a clock, I'd say 2 or maybe 3 more number positions to get the same level of loudness. 3) Tone-wise the GEC's sound more "tubey". Modestly less bass definition, about the same weight, a tad slower, a tad less slam than the 5998s. Also, less sparkle-y highs than the 5998s, and so perhaps less detail resolution as a consequence. A bit wider soundstage, but a bit less depth than the 5998s. Definitely can see how the 5998s acquits itself as more accurate and detailed tube.

But oh...that mid-range glory to the GEC 6080s. The tone to the mids is rich and delicious. Electric guitars sound thicker and modestly more "real". So do synths. There is moderately more sense of "drive" and energy in the mids. If mids was the only parameter, these 6080's would be at the front of the class. Alas, the TS5998's do everything else better, but they do ramp up the hum when no music is playing.

That said....if all you are doing is just enjoying the music passively (as opposed to actively "listening" for all these categories that audiophiles care about) then I think the GEC 6080 deserves its short list status for the WA22 output tube. I really enjoy them and they make a great addition to a tube collection.

And if all I listened to was blues and electronica, I would use the 6080s full time.

*** Edit: Several days after the GEC roll I had the idea to swap out my Sylvania 6SN7GTA tubes (a rather premium pair btw) for a pair of Foton 6N8S tubes from the late 1950's made in Tashkent City, USSR. These are a bit of a V-shaped tube sonically that I picked up for a 1/3rd of the price of the Sylvies. The synergy with the GEC 6080's blew me away. The top end sparkle is added back and the lower end gets a bit more slam. Not saying it is more "accurate", but I am saying it sure does sound great and feels like a superb driver/output combo for what I like to hear. Tube rolling still amazes me in how random pairings can be true giant killers. The WA22 continues to be an awesome platform for enjoying the hobby!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #2,650 of 2,692
Has anyone done any calculations to determine wattage output with 5998 tubes? I know with 6080 power tubes, we are at 1.5 watts. Curious if @Promee or anyone else may have done the math on 5998's?

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #2,652 of 2,692
If I remember correctly from Woo source. I rated it at 2 watts with 5998s.
I don't claim an understanding of these electrical engineering values (hopefully we have some Double-E peeps in this thread!), nor how they translate into the WA22 specifically....but just in terms of drawing some mental inference about tubes relative to one another, I found this generically:
1712764100667.png

Not knowing much else, it does help me to see amplification factor numbers and why they make me "feel" like my TS5998s are a blowtorch, and my GEC6080s are not.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #2,653 of 2,692
I don't claim an understanding of these electrical engineering values (hopefully we have some Double-E peeps in this thread!), nor how they translate into the WA22 specifically....but just in terms of drawing some mental inference about tubes relative to one another, I found this generically:
Not knowing much else, it does help me to see amplification factor numbers and why they make me "feel" like my TS5998s are a blowtorch, and my GEC6080s are not.
Cool, great info! Iā€™m concluding that itā€™s not linear, meaning going from an amp factor of 2 to 5.4 somehow equates to only a 0.5 W output increase.

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #2,654 of 2,692
Has anyone done any calculations to determine wattage output with 5998 tubes? I know with 6080 power tubes, we are at 1.5 watts. Curious if @Promee or anyone else may have done the math on 5998's?
I havenā€™t, but only because I am not exactly sure how to make that determination. I think we might need some info from Woo to do the calculation. I attempted to look at voltage and current with the 7236 extrapolating to a few different headphone impedance levels based on the one data point in the manual, but that I think was for the first gen WA22, and from what I have read itā€™s not always a safe assumption to extrapolate all points along the impedance scale from even a small number, let alone one (in this case the one for 600 Ohms). I think I could be a little more confident with it because the overall shape of voltage, current, and power probably doesnā€™t change a ton depending on the tube, so we can make an educated guess in that case. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s possible with the 5998 since Iā€™m not aware of any official numbers for it in this particular amp, and I donā€™t believe you can derive that from looking at the specs of the tube alone - some amps may push a tube to its limits and some may be much more gentle, so Iā€™m not sure where this one falls.

I will say for what itā€™s worth, and this should be taken with a massive grain of salt, that it seems with my NOS 7236 and 5998 that I get similar perceived volume relative to the volume dial on the amp, and for both it is a bit more volume at a lower point than with the stock 6080s or the 6H13Cs Iā€™ve triedā€¦

*Edit

Always dangerous to reply before reading to the end of the thread šŸ˜†. My understanding is similar to @LegionofDoom on this. The 7236 and 5998 (and 421a) are way up there and similar to one another, and all other varieties the WA22 supports are in the same ballpark power-wise as the 6080.

It might also be worth pointing out that the only headphone that might be in question here that I know of is the Tungsten. With either set of tubes, I think this thing can drive just about anything else. @skhan007 am I remembering correctly that you have the Abyss 1266? I would think that would be the next hardest thing to drive, but someone please feel free to correct me if Iā€™m wrong, and I believe it was doing great for those cans. We also saw comments from a user (blanking on the name, sorry!) that had tried it with Tungsten at a local meetup in the D.C. area and felt that the WA22 was awesome with them. If Iā€™m remembering, I think he was using 5998, and for the most power hungry headphones, using one of those three high power options is probably a good idea.

Also, I saw mention somewhere that the second gen revision of the WA22 was more powerful, but there were no numbers provided, and I think the numbers in the manual havenā€™t changed since the first gen, so itā€™s entirely possible that we could be getting more power than we are predicting based of that table for those of us with models from around 2018 or later.

One other note that I found confusing when starting to look into this - 5998A tubes are not the same as 5998. They are basically on the level power-wise of the 6080. YMMV on sound quality. I tried a NOS pair of Tung Sol I believe (would need to double check on the brand) but they were a touch noisy, and I really didnā€™t give them adequate time to break in relative to the others, so not totally fair to judge them, but they are not in the league of the 5998, and they are definitely not as powerful.

The 5998 and 421a make me think of the opening sequence of Back To The Future when I first turn on the amp after rolling them back in. They hum a little more and I feel like Iā€™m about to get blown back across the room šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #2,655 of 2,692
I havenā€™t, but only because I am not exactly sure how to make that determination. I think we might need some info from Woo to do the calculation. I attempted to look at voltage and current with the 7236 extrapolating to a few different headphone impedance levels based on the one data point in the manual, but that I think was for the first gen WA22, and from what I have read itā€™s not always a safe assumption to extrapolate all points along the impedance scale from even a small number, let alone one (in this case the one for 600 Ohms). I think I could be a little more confident with it because the overall shape of voltage, current, and power probably doesnā€™t change a ton depending on the tube, so we can make an educated guess in that case. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s possible with the 5998 since Iā€™m not aware of any official numbers for it in this particular amp, and I donā€™t believe you can derive that from looking at the specs of the tube alone - some amps may push a tube to its limits and some may be much more gentle, so Iā€™m not sure where this one falls.

I will say for what itā€™s worth, and this should be taken with a massive grain of salt, that it seems with my NOS 7236 and 5998 that I get similar perceived volume relative to the volume dial on the amp, and for both it is a bit more volume at a lower point than with the stock 6080s or the 6H13Cs Iā€™ve triedā€¦

*Edit

Always dangerous to reply before reading to the end of the thread šŸ˜†. My understanding is similar to @LegionofDoom on this. The 7236 and 5998 (and 421a) are way up there and similar to one another, and all other varieties the WA22 supports are in the same ballpark power-wise as the 6080.

It might also be worth pointing out that the only headphone that might be in question here that I know of is the Tungsten. With either set of tubes, I think this thing can drive just about anything else. @skhan007 am I remembering correctly that you have the Abyss 1266? I would think that would be the next hardest thing to drive, but someone please feel free to correct me if Iā€™m wrong, and I believe it was doing great for those cans. We also saw comments from a user (blanking on the name, sorry!) that had tried it with Tungsten at a local meetup in the D.C. area and felt that the WA22 was awesome with them. If Iā€™m remembering, I think he was using 5998, and for the most power hungry headphones, using one of those three high power options is probably a good idea.

Also, I saw mention somewhere that the second gen revision of the WA22 was more powerful, but there were no numbers provided, and I think the numbers in the manual havenā€™t changed since the first gen, so itā€™s entirely possible that we could be getting more power than we are predicting based of that table for those of us with models from around 2018 or later.

One other note that I found confusing when starting to look into this - 5998A tubes are not the same as 5998. They are basically on the level power-wise of the 6080. YMMV on sound quality. I tried a NOS pair of Tung Sol I believe (would need to double check on the brand) but they were a touch noisy, and I really didnā€™t give them adequate time to break in relative to the others, so not totally fair to judge them, but they are not in the league of the 5998, and they are definitely not as powerful.

The 5998 and 421a make me think of the opening sequence of Back To The Future when I first turn on the amp after rolling them back in. They hum a little more and I feel like Iā€™m about to get blown back across the room šŸ˜‚
Thanks- It is a bit of a mystery and unless one has some measurement equipment, I guess we can only speculate. There is a logical hypothesis that increased gain available on 5998 tubes would correlate with increased output wattage. Not sure if we have any EE's on this thread, but I can also pose the question on the 6as7g tube rolling thread. I don't think there's a 5998-specific thread on Head-Fi. I'm sure some Head-Fi member has the EE equipment or may know the answer.

Regarding headphones, yes I have the Abyss 1266 Phi. The WA22 drives them very nicely, but not optimally. I had a get together at my house with another Head-Fi member, who brought over his Tungsten and Wells Audio Milo solid state amp (10 W @46ā„¦) and that produced a thicker, bolder resonance and was noticeable in the sub-bass. Hence my interest in a nice solid state amp, but that's another story/research project. The WA22, with 6080 tubes installed at the time, drove the Tungsten very well, but again, not optimally. The owner and I agreed that if you have the WA22 and Tungsten, you'd be just fine and wouldn't miss much (maybe the last 5% of low end). At the last Head-Fi meet, I believe @VanHai came to a similar conclusion with the both the Tungsten and Susvara plugged into the WA22. He does run his 5998's usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back