Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Jan 27, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #2,416 of 2,761
Jan 27, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #2,417 of 2,761
I am very kean to read reviews of those Grant Fidelity 6sn7 globes! Who has tried them in a Woo amp?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #2,418 of 2,761
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #2,419 of 2,761
Short answer is no longer so much. Longer answer:
I am no longer one to EQ except with the built in functions on my MOJO 2, and even then not much. Figure good source and chain and there isn't a need. I used to EQ rather heavily but that was prior to getting into tubed amps a decade ago. The Z7 were my go to phones when I mainly used Sony kit and then a WA6. Solid, decent performance and built tank tough. They really stand up to use and abuse. As I grew into the WA22 I had also added a HD800 and Elear. Still enjoyed the Z7 but then I started to roll more tubes in the WA22 and found many an improvement... which lead to seeking out more tube variations and with each improvement the Z7 became muddier and bloated... The Elears didn't fair so well either. The HD800 loved the upgrades. Added the HD820 whose low end clarity kills the Z7. Enter playing around with pre-amping the WA22 and a whole new level was found. Closely thereafter a Naim Unity Core Server was added and the chain has proven pretty much fatal to the Z7s. Utopia and Stellia joined the stable. The Z7 were a good value in their day but for me, did not stand the test of time. More honestly, the improving chain simply revealed their limits and weak points. Big problem is having heard their weaknesses I can't unhear them. I still roll them into play on a regular basis just because they are old friends and I won't part with them. Best current use is on the WA6 fed by a Woo WDS-1 DAC. The WA22, on the other hand, is a beast. Every day it competes against several other quality amps on my listening desk without breaking a sweat. It has scaled up and brought bigger smiles with every effort to improve it.
What a terrific response. Thank you. I myself have had the MDR-Z7 for 8 freaking years now. They need EQ to sound their best I feel and once dialed in properly the WA 22 absolutely seals the deal. What a freaking amp!!! WOOOOOOO! 😁

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #2,420 of 2,761
Dr. Hammond. Meet Dr. Woo 2nd Gen.

Attachments

• IMG_7439.jpeg
    IMG_7439.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7448.jpeg
    IMG_7448.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7438.jpeg
    IMG_7438.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7445.jpeg
    IMG_7445.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7447.jpeg
    IMG_7447.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 27, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #2,422 of 2,761
Jan 27, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #2,423 of 2,761
I actually posted up a little comparison of the Grant Fidelity LinLai 6SN7 options this morning after chatting with Legion. Here is the link:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/page-646

Hope you find this helpful! And yeah, I’ve been loving some Tung Sol 7236 Tubes with those globes for the past week or so. They seem to play nicely with all of my headphones listed below, so I am a very happy Promee today :k701smile:
I saw your post, and thanks for the write up. It’s one of the reasons I’m on head-fi, you guys/gals rock!

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #2,424 of 2,761
I saw your post, and thanks for the write up. It’s one of the reasons I’m on head-fi, you guys/gals rock!
I hear you! This place has some awesome people, and in our tiny corner of our niche hobby, everyone’s experience and willingness to share makes all the difference!

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #2,425 of 2,761
@LegionofDoom mentioned to me that his amp has a little bit of 60 Hz hum when music is paused. I have the same issue. It was present before I did the coupling cap mods, and it is there regardless of what tubes I’m using (I’ve replaced them all in multiple configurations, and it’s aways there. It’s not bothersome when listening to music, but I’m sure there would be a subtle improvement to detail and soundstage if this were corrected. Another quirk I’ve found is that it seems much more noticeable with low impedance headphones. A little digging online has me thinking it might be a result of DC coming through my mains. I stuck a multimeter in an outlet and I have about 58 mV of DC on the line, which might be too low to have an effect, but then again this is a very sensitive piece of gear, so perhaps…

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a filtering device. Pine Tree Audio makes custom linear power supplies and other esoteric electronics for audiophiles - they were recommended to me by Geno at Geshelli Labs when I was looking for a linear power supply for my soon-to-arrive Dayzee DAC. They have a power filter with a DC filter and AC noise filtering with fancy meters, etc. for $1,100, which seemed a little high to me for an uncertain possibility of fixing this one problem, so I am waiting to hear back from Jessie over there on a quote for a bare-bones version with all of the filtering, but a more basic case and no monitors, as well as a quote for straight up DC filter. I also saw this one, but I’m not ready to gamble this much $ for something I’m not sure will help…

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/i...sCCyS4wdoj1_u0hjbgZZd2m_cFn9OrgRoChxwQAvD_BwE

I’d be curious if anyone has any thoughts / insight on this. Either way, it’s sounding so good, I won’t be bothered if I can’t fix it. It’s in one of those spots right now with this tube set that I keep thinking of things to listen to, but I don’t even want to switch off the random tracks coming on after each song 🙂

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #2,426 of 2,761
@LegionofDoom mentioned to me that his amp has a little bit of 60 Hz hum when music is paused. I have the same issue. It was present before I did the coupling cap mods, and it is there regardless of what tubes I’m using (I’ve replaced them all in multiple configurations, and it’s aways there. It’s not bothersome when listening to music, but I’m sure there would be a subtle improvement to detail and soundstage if this were corrected. Another quirk I’ve found is that it seems much more noticeable with low impedance headphones. A little digging online has me thinking it might be a result of DC coming through my mains. I stuck a multimeter in an outlet and I have about 58 mV of DC on the line, which might be too low to have an effect, but then again this is a very sensitive piece of gear, so perhaps…

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a filtering device. Pine Tree Audio makes custom linear power supplies and other esoteric electronics for audiophiles - they were recommended to me by Geno at Geshelli Labs when I was looking for a linear power supply for my soon-to-arrive Dayzee DAC. They have a power filter with a DC filter and AC noise filtering with fancy meters, etc. for $1,100, which seemed a little high to me for an uncertain possibility of fixing this one problem, so I am waiting to hear back from Jessie over there on a quote for a bare-bones version with all of the filtering, but a more basic case and no monitors, as well as a quote for straight up DC filter. I also saw this one, but I’m not ready to gamble this much $ for something I’m not sure will help…

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/i...sCCyS4wdoj1_u0hjbgZZd2m_cFn9OrgRoChxwQAvD_BwE

I’d be curious if anyone has any thoughts / insight on this. Either way, it’s sounding so good, I won’t be bothered if I can’t fix it. It’s in one of those spots right now with this tube set that I keep thinking of things to listen to, but I don’t even want to switch off the random tracks coming on after each song 🙂
@Promee I am using a PS Audio PowerPlant 12 in front of my WA22. It regenerates a “perfect” AC sine-wave, and I still get the hum. Like you, it’s absent from my sense of perception when music is playing so I have convinced myself not to care. All I can say is if you head down the Pine Tree path, make sure you can return it if the results underwhelm.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #2,427 of 2,761
@Promee I am using a PS Audio PowerPlant 12 in front of my WA22. It regenerates a “perfect” AC sine-wave, and I still get the hum. Like you, its absent from my sense of perception when music is playing so I have convinced myself not to care. All I can say is if you head down the Pine Tree path, make sure you can return it if the results underwelm.
Very helpful. Seems it may be intrinsic to the amp…

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #2,428 of 2,761
Very good rectifier, i believed Hammond GZ34 made by Mullard. I have a pair and use one on my DNA Sonett 2.
You are exactly correct. A friend in another headphone community gave this Hammond/Mullard GZ34/5AR4 equivalent to me as a Christmas present. 😊
This incredible act of kindness has allowed me to experience my first Mullard branded tube. ☺️.
I must say. The Hammond surpasses my new production Genelex Gold Lion GZ34.

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #2,429 of 2,761
You are exactly correct. A friend in another headphone community gave this Hammond/Mullard GZ34/5AR4 equivalent to me as a Christmas present. 😊
This incredible act of kindness has allowed me to experience my first Mullard branded tube. ☺️.
I must say. The Hammond surpasses my new production Genelex Gold Lion GZ34.
Congrats!.
fyi, this tube is discussed on page 1 of the Rectifier Thread. Apparently there are a few variations.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dub...mparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #2,430 of 2,761

I have had a few humming issues on my WA22 in just over eight years of ownership. Off the top here is what happened and what fixed it.
I should preface this with deoxit to clean all tube pins before they get near my amps. Even for the newest of new production. I learned this with my older WA6. Its pays...
Also, these issues aren't unique to the WA22. They go with the territory of using tubes... I have a McIntosh MHA200 that had many instances of the dreaded red plating and hums over two full sets of McIntosh branded tubes... new production, right out of the box. Fixed with tubes sourced from different manufactures. On to the WA22:
When brand new, low hum on both channels. Initially a power filter seemed to help. Longer term, no filtering and a different rectifier.
Next was a hum on one channel followed closely by a catastrophic failure of a new power tube. No damage to amp and tube vendor took care of the tube.
Next another hum on one channel followed by a failed driver tube. This was a favourite 7N7 in use several months. Again the vendor did the right thing helping out and the amp was fine.
Next a hum on one channel that was intermittent. Easy to identify it was a power tube... Several months in use and the vendor helped out again. Amp was fine.
This month alone, two incidents, low hum on both channels, a rectifier, that works with no noise on my WA6. Second event, hum on one channel, a driver, again one that works fine on my WA6.
On the flip side tubes that are noisy in my WA6 are good in the 22.
These amps are sensitive and lower impedance phones highlight any issue. They are old school designs that have been refined over many years. I suspect only a small percentage of owners have any issues and most are like what I have had. Given thousands of hours of use and enjoyment my WA22 has provided I look at the issues experienced as part of the fun this hobby provides. Little things to figure out and overcome. Tubes and their care and feeding. Many of us are running tubes that are seventy and even eighty plus years old.
Last thing I could offer is I run a very crowded listening station. Tons of equipment in a tight area. When I add a major component or do a major reorganization I have induced hums in various amps. Every time it has been solved by not allowing active power cords to run closely together in parallel or correcting an accidentally loosened connection. The appearance of disorder, in my setup, leads to musical nirvana. I run mid level interconnects but my power cords are stock junk!
I suggest asking Woo about that DC on your power lines. Check your cable runs and connections. Consider grounding. Double down on tube maintenance and combinations.
Worst case, find a dealer that will let you do an in home demo of the power conditioning kit they sell. Nothing worse than dropping coin on non solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back