Woo Audio WA2 and the PDPS "mod"
Dec 21, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I'd love to know why they decided to redesign the power supply and what that redesign constituted. I imagine only Jamato or Takezo would be able to help out on that front if they had pics...

Yeah I'd be very interested in this too, just out of curiosity really - I got my WA2 (upgraded with the Tung-Sol 5998s and blackgate caps) about 15 months ago and have been very happy with it using both my HD600s and 701s. If the new PSU improves the sound further then you new owners are in for a treat.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #18 of 57
That would be a question only Jack can answer since there are no high resolution internal pictures of before and after. Anyone with the latest version please post some pics.

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #19 of 57
I suppose that could be true, but from the way my conversation with Jack went, it seemed like this was an additional refinement other than the change to EZ80s. Like I say, though, I don't know this for sure. But they've been using EZ80s for a while, and he made it sound like it was a very recent change.

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose that could be true, but from the way my conversation with Jack went, it seemed like this was an additional refinement other than the change to EZ80s. Like I say, though, I don't know this for sure. But they've been using EZ80s for a while, and he made it sound like it was a very recent change.

JayG,

I have a dumb question. How does the input selector switch feel? Nice and solid like it will last for years? I know that seems unimportant, but to me being a detail freak, it is. I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #21 of 57
The new rectifier can handle a higher current and therefore last longer and supply would offer more current. The 6X4 as used before is an excellent rectifier if used within its constraints. If taxed it will arc, as any tube rectifier will and I speculate that it was being used near its limit, having used the 6X4 for many years, this is my experience. Using the EZ80 would allow for designing of a more robust power supply, which in turn would add to the sound quality and you could operate at higher voltages, which would increase output power.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new rectifier can handle a higher current and therefore last longer and supply would offer more current. The 6X4 as used before is an excellent rectifier if used within its constraints. If taxed it will arc, as any tube rectifier will and I speculate that it was being used near its limit, having used the 6X4 for many years, this is my experience. Using the EZ80 would allow for designing of a more robust power supply, which in turn would add to the sound quality and you could operate at higher voltages, which would increase output power.

John,

Thanks for the info. You're a real asset to this forum my friend
wink.gif

Glenn

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #23 of 57
so do we know when they changed the power supply? i bought my wooaudio in march? and it has the EZ80 rect. i separately bought some nos tungsol 5998 which improved every bit of the sound from stock. I also found that it pairs amazingly well with the K701s, much more so than the wooaudio 2 i with some upgrades i heard mid 2007 which was pretty anemic with the 701s.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #24 of 57
atbglenn,

I don't have my amp yet, so I can't say about the input selector switch. It should be here mid-January.

swoon,

No, I don't know for sure. We are all just speculating.

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by swoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also found that it pairs amazingly well with the K701s

I'm happy to hear it pairs so well with the K701s, cuz those are the phones I plan on using with the amp. I'll email Jack and as him about when the mod was implemented that way we have some clarity on the issue. Also, it'd be VERY cool if we could eventually turn this thread into a WA2 mods thread as we all get our amps and play around with 'em... cuz they isn't one of those yet

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #26 of 57
OK we got an answer. Here's Jack's response to the question of whether or not the newest power-supply upgrade was implemented at the same time as the EZ80 update:

"The newer power supply design was done recently, about 1 to 2 weeks ago. The EZ80 update was made a few months back."

So, the question now is whether anyone is even in possession of this newest version of the WA2.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #27 of 57
the input selector is very solid and stays in place well. same build as the volume pot.

did you/can you ask if the new power supply can be retrofitted into existing amps?

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by swoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you/can you ask if the new power supply can be retrofitted into existing amps?

I did ask if an older 6X4 model can be converted to the EZ80 and Jack said it could not, because the metal plate with holes for the tubes is smaller on the 6X4 model. I didn't ask about the power supply upgrade, but I imagine anything can be done for the right price.... whether that's affordable or not, I have no clue. However, I notice that price hasn't increased at all, so maybe it's not too big a job

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #29 of 57
I am delighted with my WA2; having spoken to Jack he checked the build logs and confirmed that mine has the new PSU upgrade
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK we got an answer. Here's Jack's response to the question of whether or not the newest power-supply upgrade was implemented at the same time as the EZ80 update:

"The newer power supply design was done recently, about 1 to 2 weeks ago. The EZ80 update was made a few months back."

So, the question now is whether anyone is even in possession of this newest version of the WA2.

That's what I thought. He literally mentioned it to me the day before I sent him the money for my amp, and we had been discussing relevant topics for a few weeks at least before that. If it were an old modification, tt would have been strange for him to not say anything all that time and then just mention it as if it were brand new.

EDIT: I doubt anyone has the newest version yet. It would have to have been built, shipped, and delivered in the last week and a half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back