Jay, PLEASE post some pics when you get it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jay, PLEASE post some pics when you get it
smily_headphones1.gif

I second that!

Also, I asked Jack if there is anyone yet who had received delivery of this new WA2. He's yet to respond. So, we'll see, but it does seem unlikely that anyone yet has this new mod. Of course, it'll be a fair share of time before we can ever compare the old to the new. I'm hoping that this beefed up mod doesn't make the amp sound more solid-state as the only reason (well, not the only reason) but the main reason I'm going with the WA2 is that it has a very tube characteristic.

Also, while we wait for those updated pics, does anyone know why there's a transformer on the WA2 when it's an OTL amp? I know nothing about amp design...

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, while we wait for those updated pics, does anyone know why there's a transformer on the WA2 when it's an OTL amp? I know nothing about amp design...

The middle cover houses the power transformer. The 2 on the ends are not transformers, they're chokes. They are part of the power supply just like on the WA3+, except there are 2, one for each channel (Pseudo Dual Power Supply)

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #34 of 57
Don't worry, I'll post pics. What else to expect from a proud new papa?

mmwhats,

I wouldn't think a beefier power supply would change the sound signature of the amp other than to allow it to sound less constrained on recordings with high dynamic range.

Keep in mind, though, that the "typical" tube sound characteristic as people tend to think of it, both good and bad, has a lot to do with the distortion from the output transformer. The whole basis of an OTL design is the avoidance of transformer-based signal degradation. Theoretically, it allows the amp to perform much better in the frequency extremes than transformer-coupled designs, as well as allowing the signature of individual tubes to come through. So if you mean "tubey" in that you can really hear how each tube sounds, the OTL WA2 is tubey. But if you mean it in the way of a rounded, rolled-off signature that makes everything sound thick and juicy, I'm not sure OTL is what would serve you best. (Please note that I am not saying all transformer-coupled amps sound rolled-off, thick, or juicy. This is obviously not the case.)

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, I'll post pics. What else to expect from a proud new papa?

mmwhats,

I wouldn't think a beefier power supply would change the sound signature of the amp other than to allow it to sound less constrained on recordings with high dynamic range.

Keep in mind, though, that the "typical" tube sound characteristic as people tend to think of it, both good and bad, has a lot to do with the distortion from the output transformer. The whole basis of an OTL design is the avoidance of transformer-based signal degradation. Theoretically, it allows the amp to perform much better in the frequency extremes than transformer-coupled designs, as well as allowing the signature of individual tubes to come through. So if you mean "tubey" in that you can really hear how each tube sounds, the OTL WA2 is tubey. But if you mean it in the way of a rounded, rolled-off signature that makes everything sound thick and juicy, I'm not sure OTL is what would serve you best. (Please note that I am not saying all transformer-coupled amps sound rolled-off, thick, or juicy. This is obviously not the case.)

I have a WA6 SE now that is output transformer coupled and it has a very accurate, not at all tubey sound. When I asked Jack for an amp that sounded more lush and tubey he pointed me in the direction of the WA2. I hope that's the sound I'm going to get. I'd like to find out before plunking down the cash.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #36 of 57
Like I said, not all transformer coupled amps are lush and "tubey." It all depends on tube choice, circuit design, and transformer quality. From what I've read, the Wu family's hand-wound output transformers are very good, so I would not expect them to have much of a negative impact on the sound. Therefore, as it's a well-designed amp with a good transformer and ample power, the circuit should pretty much provide a great foundation for the sound. The rest of the signature is up to the tubes. Have you tried tuberolling to get a more lush sound?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from the WA2. Jack also told me that it is a more full-bodied, harmonically rich amp than the WA6 SE. I'm just saying that I wouldn't expect it to be so warm that it would make a bright recording sound thick and juicy. But I'm sure if you load the WA2 up with some Bugle Boys, you'll get a nice smooth, liquid sound.

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #37 of 57
I am particularly sensitive to high frequencies - any harshness, sibilance etc. quickly leads my ears to fatigue. That is the very reason I opted for the WA2. Having discussed my preference and sensitivity to Jack, he suggested the WA2 might be a better option; perhaps not as upfront and punchy as the WA6SE but a smoother, more open presentation. It does not in any way, however, lack dynamics of any sort (it sure can rock).

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #38 of 57
Ok, I use output transformers in my 27 preamp that I built. What one often fails to realize is that capacitors impart their own flavor and "distortion". You can't say that OTL don't have any problems with distortion because they don't have output transformers. They can both have problems, if incorrectly implemented. A good output transformer can sound excellent as can an amp cap coupled and both can sound poor if not designed optimally.

I use Electroprint output transformers and Jack knows what he is doing. It is a science and an art. I own both and use both. It is all in design and an understanding for what is going on.

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #40 of 57
Another thread in reference to the WA2 tube options was started recently. I recently placed an order with Jack for a WA2 and we were discussing in the other thread the fit of the 6AS7/6080 tube. Looking at the pic, the slot looks pretty tight for several 6080s especially Bendix, Tung Sol etc., also for the 7236. The base on these tubes are a bit larger than the 6AS7/5998.

Has anyone had any problems fitting any of these tubes?

I emailed Jack in reference to this, as always prompt response and he advised as long as the base does not exceed 38mm it's fine. He also advised that if it is an issue a proper adapter can be used to fit these tubes.

I have a lot of these tubes so I was curious if anyone had any issues with the fit.

Thanks
J

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #41 of 57
Have not tried any yet, but I did also get an email from Jack saying that if you want to use tubes that have a larger bottom, you can use a tube socket extender to fit.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #42 of 57
I ordered a WA2 in mid December as well. I got it the other day. Jack recommended a tube upgrade that hasn't arrived yet (the 6H13C), so I've been enjoying the stock tubes. Needless to say, you can count me in on the "Happy Woo Owners" club.

I'm extremely impressed that Jack was able to get a fairly quick turn around, in addition to responding to a dozen of my questions, through the holidays when apparently a bunch of us ordered the WA2. Maybe he had the foresight to get everything ready for orders following the CNET review, but in this economy that would be a leap of faith.

Anyhow, this thing is truly amazing. If anyone is interested, I'll happily write up a comparison of the 6H13Cs with the stock power tubes.

FYI, I'm using them to drive my K701s. With my Turntable, Bellari tube phono pre, and this baby, I guess I'm all analog now (until you get to my power amp). I didn't even realize it.

I hope the other dozen new WA2 owners enjoy their new Woo as much as I do!

EDIT: I also didn't realize how much I've lurked here without actually posting!

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #43 of 57
Congrats on your new Woo
smily_headphones1.gif
Post some pics if you don't mind. Internals would be nice as well.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #44 of 57
I have some crappy pics right now. I don't know if I should pop the cover off quite yet.

I'll take better pictures and post them today or tomorrow. It really is a beauty, although I can see why Jack uses the silver on the website. I think the silver photographs better, but the black looks much better in person.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judicata /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone is interested, I'll happily write up a comparison of the 6H13Cs with the stock power tubes.

I'd be very interested in this comparison. Jack recommended the 6H13Cs to me too, so I'd very much like to know the change in sound it gives to the amp, especially since I'll also be using it with K701s.

Also, what brand of 6H13C are you using?

Finally, I ordered mine about a week ago or so, but was told it'll take 4 weeks to build. From my experience with Woo, I'm surprised you got yours in only 2 weeks. My other amp from Woo (WA6 SE) took 8+ weeks, I think it was closer to 10 weeks actually...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back