Woo Audio WA2 and the PDPS "mod"
Dec 31, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #46 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be very interested in this comparison. Jack recommended the 6H13Cs to me too, so I'd very much like to know the change in sound it gives to the amp, especially since I'll also be using it with K701s.

Also, what brand of 6H13C are you using?

Finally, I ordered mine about a week ago or so, but was told it'll take 4 weeks to build. From my experience with Woo, I'm surprised you got yours in only 2 weeks. My other amp from Woo (WA6 SE) took 8+ weeks, I think it was closer to 10 weeks actually...

All 6N13S' were made by Svetlana,all that really differs is the year that were made. Comparing Soviet era tubes of different eras but same manufacture I do notice *some* construction differences,whether this has any difference on sound I have yet to hear.

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, what brand of 6H13C are you using?

No idea. They haven't arrived yet.

Quote:

Finally, I ordered mine about a week ago or so, but was told it'll take 4 weeks to build. From my experience with Woo, I'm surprised you got yours in only 2 weeks. My other amp from Woo (WA6 SE) took 8+ weeks, I think it was closer to 10 weeks actually...

I just double-checked and I ordered it earlier in the second week of December. He told me 4 weeks as well, but maybe he has just been rolling out the WA2s lately or something.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to confirm with some chaps, the Iron Lung Jellyfish power cord (Tube Audio Design) will work with the WA2?

Yes...Any IEC power cord will fit (IeGo, Zu Birth, ILJ etc.)...
I have an ILJ ready for when my WA2 arrives
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know or have pics of how to open up the WA2, to expose / provide access to the circuit?

I'd imagine you just turn the amp over (remove tubes first, of course) and unscrew the bottom plate. That should do it. That's how I viewed the circuit of my WA6 SE, and can't imagine the WA2 is any different. If this works, please do take pictures.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #53 of 57
I will try. So you think it is just those 4 screws at the bottom? None of the other hex screws along the side/back/faceplate? The image on the site looks like there are 6 screws/rivets which would be used to take the top plate off?

wa2_internal.jpg

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will try. So you think it is just those 4 screws at the bottom? None of the other hex screws along the side/back/faceplate? The image on the site looks like there are 6 screws/rivets which would be used to take the top plate off?

Definitely do not remove the top plate. As nice as the Woo chassis are, they're not complexely put together. Removal of the bottom plate is likely enough... but as always, if you're opening a component BE CAREFUL.

I should be receiving my amp within 1-2. If there aren't images up by then, I'll post some.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #55 of 57
It is good to see quite a few more WA2's getting out there. I have a maxxed 6X4 version with all the blackgates etc etc etc. I would be interested in a comparison with the newer EZ80 version. Anybody heard both??

cheers
Simon

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #57 of 57
I'm curious about reactions to the Russian tube upgrade Jack is recommending. I picked up a pair of 6H13C [6N13S] (1970s vintage, I think). They started out pretty thin and bass-free, but seem to be filling out somewhat after a limited amount of burn in.

Have folks found that they continue to improve with time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back