Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 6, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #496 of 774
Is it possible to run the WA11 out of an iPhone 6, or is it too powerful to work? I had this issue with the LH Labs Geek Out 720.

Power is a non issue because the data port on the WA11 is separate from the power port. However, I would check with Woo Audio on what cables you need. Usually you need a CCK adapter but Apple recently released USB C to Lightning so maybe that will work too.

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #497 of 774
I think you'll need CCK adapter

Nov 15, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #498 of 774
Is it possible to run the WA11 out of an iPhone 6, or is it too powerful to work? I had this issue with the LH Labs Geek Out 720.

We made a short video on how to use WA11 topaz with a wide range of devices. Please take a moment to watch the video.

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #501 of 774
When I try to play out of my iPhone 11 Pro using it's provided lightning to USB-C cord to the Topaz DAC port I only get sound out of the phone and not the headphones

I don't think that lightning to USB-C cord will work like that. You still need the lightning to USB camera adapter cable with another USB-A to USB-C cable to make it work on iPhone.

Edit: But then there are these Lightning to USB-C OTG cables on AliExpress. This got me curious, I'll probably buy one to test out.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #503 of 774
Does the Topaz need a certain number of hours to break in and open up a bit? Or is it mostly the same right from the start?

Using them with my Empyrean because I wanted to be semi-portable but wondering if maybe I should have invested same as Topaz cost into a desktop amp/dac.
Also, Empyrean still breaking in too so hoping they open up a bit more - seems a bit congested on some rock music.

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #504 of 774
Wow - of course not - why would they package a cord that can charge and carry an audio signal
I mostly run the Topaz off my laptop, so I end up using 2 USB ports for audio and power. I rarely use it on IOS or Android due to the Topaz not providing power to the player. It's kind of a pain in the ass to have to use a powered USB hub keep player and amp charging at the same time.

Does the Topaz need a certain number of hours to break in and open up a bit? Or is it mostly the same right from the start?
Using them with my Empyrean because I wanted to be semi-portable but wondering if maybe I should have invested same as Topaz cost into a desktop amp/dac.
Also, Empyrean still breaking in too so hoping they open up a bit more - seems a bit congested on some rock music.
I didn't notice any break-in period with the Topaz, but I also used different headphones depending on what I was listening to, so even if there was some sort of burn in, I don't think I would have noticed it.

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #506 of 774
Currently running on the unbalanced output with my Meze Empyrean.

I read that the 4.4mm balanced output of the Topaz is significantly better - is this true?

If so, can anyone tell me if this is the right cable to get:
https://www.headamp.com/products/me...pgrade-headphone-cable?variant=28220540518464

Or any alternative cable that would be just as good but cheaper.

That cable is the right one to get. However, I don't know if you find your original Meze cable's 4-pin minXLR plugs hard to remove from your Empyrean. If you're like me, who finds the Meze plugs very hard to remove from the headphone, I would skip this cable altogether. I also got the 4.4 mm silver PCUHD cable with my Empyrean purchase but I don't use it due to the miniXLR plugs.

The minXLR plugs from Cardas, Neutrik, and basically most other manufacturers I've tried all work flawlessly for my Empyrean: no issues inserting/removing whatsoever.

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #507 of 774
May I ask if the wa11 topaz is roon ready?

Dec 27, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #508 of 774
May I ask if the wa11 topaz is roon ready?
Yes, I use it with a laptop that has Roon on it; Roon recognizes the WA11 as a source. Sounds great, btw.

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Dec 28, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #509 of 774
good to hear

Dec 28, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #510 of 774
when I connect my chord hugo to my macbook pro it is recognized immediately in roon but when I connect the topaz it doesnt show up in roon although it seems to be recognized in the mac itself in the sound section.....I cant seem to get roon to recognize it sadly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back