Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 8, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #301 of 774
That's good, does it work with USB type C chargers or only USB type A chargers? As far as I understand it needs to meet certain requirements for a PD charger to recognize it as a legacy device and supply 5V. What happens if someone uses the supplied USB C to USB C cable in a PD charger to try to charge the WA11?

Both type-C connectors on the amp are 2.0 compliant, not 3.0/3.1. You will need USB 2.0 type-C cables. It will work with any USB-A charger. For USB-C chargers, you must use a USB-C OTG cable to charge the amp. The cable labeled HOST side should connect to the USB-C charger. We include two cables - one A-C and one C OTG - C. These two cables should allow you to connect most of the USB devices.

are you guys going to sell a shorter cable?
Yes, we will offer short USB cables in the near future. A short USB C OTG to C short cable is unusual but you will need to find it on the web. See below. That's all you need to start enjoying music (a drink would be nice too)
wa11-empyrean.jpg

is there circuitry for the battery to not get charged for people that leave this plugged in 100% of the time?
There is a smart battery charger built into the WA11. The battery won't get charged if it is full. You can plug it in all the time.

And here is a connection diagram. The connection is fairly flexible. We are working on all the cables you see in this diagram.

wa11 connection.png

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #302 of 774
Yes, we will offer short USB cables in the near future. A short USB C OTG to C short cable is unusual but you will need to find it on the web. See below. That's all you need to start enjoying music (a drink would be nice too)

That will be nice. It's difficult to find such cable though, any "OTG" search just come up with the USB-C adapter. lol

I guess I'll live with a USB-C OTG adapter and short USB cable for now as I have that lying around when travelling. Until you guys offer the shorter cable (hopefully one around 50cm or something). :)

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #303 of 774
Perhaps this has been asked already, but when using the line input, is there signal with the balanced output only, or is the signal fed to the unbalanced output as well?

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #307 of 774
Just wanted to pass on a deal on the Samsung 10,000 power bank (EB-P1100CSEGUS).
Jack - what is the deal? Is it on sale right now? (if so - where from?)

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #309 of 774
Mar 11, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #310 of 774
get my wa11 today. It arrived 2 weeks ago, but today the time I can listen it. The sound seems very very good, despite no wa11 neither headphones (ether flow C) are burned up. Looks it is amazing device. Also listened with my campfire atlas - no any problems. I was afraid it won’t be good with sensitive iems and ordered ether for them, but it is good with both iem and headphones.
Seeing you have a Chord Hugo 2 as well, how do these 2 compare ? I'm hesitating between these two ! Though choice ! I like transparent but still musical sound, not a crazy details freak. More emotions.

The WA11 definitely looks more beautiful and clean ! Very well done Woo ! Woo-ooo !

Thanks !

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #311 of 774
Seeing you have a Chord Hugo 2 as well, how do these 2 compare ? I'm hesitating between these two ! Though choice ! I like transparent but still musical sound, not a crazy details freak. More emotions.

The WA11 definitely looks more beautiful and clean ! Very well done Woo ! Woo-ooo !

Thanks !

I had Hugo 2 before - even 2 times. I think Hugo 2 is very good device and as an dac it is definitely better than WA11 and probably any other portable device. it is very resolving, detailed and natural. I even used it some time as a home dac before I bought Denafrips Terminator. But as an amp I always feel it is little boring. not very emotional and engaging. first time it is always some wow, but after some time it looks little lifeless and filters did not help much. when I used it only as a dac it was great. it is best portable dac I think. but WA11 and some other devices - wm1z for example - play music better in the end for me, they more organic and musical. I didn't use WA11 dac yet, maybe it is also good, but I am not sure. now I use dac of fiio x7ii - it is quite good - and WA11 as an amp and it is great as an amp. maybe it is just tastes and maybe Hugo 2 was designed more for classical and jazz music and WA11 more for rock and vocal, I don't know, but now I liked WA11 more.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #312 of 774
I had Hugo 2 before - even 2 times. I think Hugo 2 is very good device and as an dac it is definitely better than WA11 and probably any other portable device. it is very resolving, detailed and natural. I even used it some time as a home dac before I bought Denafrips Terminator. But as an amp I always feel it is little boring. not very emotional and engaging. first time it is always some wow, but after some time it looks little lifeless and filters did not help much. when I used it only as a dac it was great. it is best portable dac I think. but WA11 and some other devices - wm1z for example - play music better in the end for me, they more organic and musical. I didn't use WA11 dac yet, maybe it is also good, but I am not sure. now I use dac of fiio x7ii - it is quite good - and WA11 as an amp and it is great as an amp. maybe it is just tastes and maybe Hugo 2 was designed more for classical and jazz music and WA11 more for rock and vocal, I don't know, but now I liked WA11 more.
Without wanting to OT, have you tried the Hugo 2 with good amps? Would it not be superior to WA11 (of course bigger and way more expensive).

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #313 of 774
But as an amp I always feel it is little boring. not very emotional and engaging. first time it is always some wow, but after some time it looks little lifeless and filters did not help much.

Exactly My impressions also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back