Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 12, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #316 of 774
Without wanting to OT, have you tried the Hugo 2 with good amps? Would it not be superior to WA11 (of course bigger and way more expensive).

yes, I tried hugo 2 with good amps and it was good. in office I often used it with Burson CV2+ and it was much much better than using Burson internal dac - but as an amp Burson was great. at home I used it with custom tube amp of one Russian maker. I think combo of hugo 2 and CV2+ definitely better than WA11 and any other portable combinations - but it is works only at desk. so if you want go portable than WA11 is one of the best solution. if you want something at your desk - you have a lot of options here.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #317 of 774
Thanks guys for your answers ! Maybe Hugo with WA11 ?
I think it could work except it is not very portable combination) actually I am thinking to buy Hifiman R2R2000 player as an dac for WA11 - I heard it is also very good R2R dac.

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #319 of 774
incredible pairing with the new Meze Empyrean headphones.

wa11-empyrean-flowers.jpg

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #321 of 774
Sexy piece of kit with a couple of dealbreakers for me.

1. The proprietary cable. If I understand it correctly, it doesn’t make sense to me. Why obsess over backwards compatibility?... USB-C is already on a ton of devices, and will be the universal standard soon. Most Woo models seem to have product runs of around a decade. It seems like direct compatibility during what will be the majority of the WA11’s life is being sacrificed so that some people with older devices now won’t have to use a simple adaptor? Or can the WA11 connect to a USB-C device with any USB-C cable?

2. The cost. $1400 is going to be pretty hard to justify when the Mojo2 inevitably drops at less than half of that. Or for slightly more than half, with an integrated BT streamer, whichever the case may be.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #322 of 774
Do people find burn-in needed? What (if any) improvements did you hear?
@HiFiGuy528 or @WooAudio - do you have any recommendation?

Mar 14, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #323 of 774
Do people find burn-in needed? What (if any) improvements did you hear?
@HiFiGuy528 or @WooAudio - do you have any recommendation?

In addition to components, part of the "break-in" process is allowing your ears and brain to adjust to the new sound. e.g. if you eat fast food burgers all your life and switch to a high quality, naturally flavored burger. Immediately, you might say there's not flavor. But if you eat it a few times and your taste platte develops into a more natural taste then the high quality burger will taste better.

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #324 of 774
In addition to components, part of the "break-in" process is allowing your ears and brain to adjust to the new sound. e.g. if you eat fast food burgers all your life and switch to a high quality, naturally flavored burger. Immediately, you might say there's not flavor. But if you eat it a few times and your taste platte develops into a more natural taste then the high quality burger will taste better.
Mike - for WA11, what is the components "break-in" period that Woo recommends?
I agree that brain burn-in would be required in addition :wink:

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #328 of 774
@HiFiGuy528
Mike, do you plan the MQA support for WA11 one day?

Someday, maybe....

Quick question: it's possible to connect an unbalanced source to the WA11, right ? You just need to connect the plugs correctly ? Thanks !

It is NOT possible to convert a source's unbalanced output to balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back