Woo Audio WA-8
May 3, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #811 of 838
I thought I'd give this thread a bump since I just came into the possession of a WA8. It came in the mail yesterday, but I'm finally getting around to listening to the WA8 today. Simply put what a magnificent device! Beefy low end, textured, lush mids, warm, full-bodied sound. Surprisingly the WA8 sounds very powerful for such a modestly rated amp. I feel it does an amazing job with my VO's, which have a 300 ohm impendance. I have the volume at 7 on the dial and the bass is very prominent with heft and impact. The WA8 doesn't lack details or depth to its sound. Instrument separation is very good and treble clarity is pretty great.

I do prefer the Mojo 2 over the onboard DAC. It's just a much better DAC. together the Mojo 2/WA8 combo offers a very musical, enveloping sonic experience. I'm a fan and I don't know why I waited so long to add this device to my portable stable.

IMG_1890.jpg
I think you've just convinced me to get one for my VOs!

May 3, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #812 of 838
I think you've just convinced me to get one for my VOs!
It’s a fantastic pairing from what I’m hearing right at this moment. I do recommend at least a Mojo 2 over the stock DAC. But if you have a preferred external DAC or source it might be just as good. The stock DAC is fine if I’m being honest. I’m sort of a detail nut and I want maximum detail extraction. Chord DAC’s are just superb at that. Now, I’m kind of regretting letting my Hugo 2 go :).

May 16, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #813 of 838
My Mullards have arrived. Am enjoying them immensely but don't ask for comparisons pis~ Vanity upgrade and not something you NEED :beyersmile:

Aug 9, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #814 of 838
Any News about about a mark II, with balanced 4.4 Output ?

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #816 of 838
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #817 of 838
I thought I'd give this thread a bump since I just came into the possession of a WA8. It came in the mail yesterday, but I'm finally getting around to listening to the WA8 today. Simply put what a magnificent device! Beefy low end, textured, lush mids, warm, full-bodied sound. Surprisingly the WA8 sounds very powerful for such a modestly rated amp. I feel it does an amazing job with my VO's, which have a 300 ohm impendance. I have the volume at 7 on the dial and the bass is very prominent with heft and impact. The WA8 doesn't lack details or depth to its sound. Instrument separation is very good and treble clarity is pretty great.

I do prefer the Mojo 2 over the onboard DAC. It's just a much better DAC. together the Mojo 2/WA8 combo offers a very musical, enveloping sonic experience. I'm a fan and I don't know why I waited so long to add this device to my portable stable.

IMG_1890.jpg
I assume from Mojo2 it's just 3.5 to 3.5 input on the WA8?

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #818 of 838
I got a WA8 on loan this week as well. It's an amazing DAC/amp that compares very well with other desktop-class amp despite its small footprint. Has enough juice to drive the power hungry Abyss Diana TC, something even the Sony DMP Z1 can't do well. The Diana TC sounds very good with the WA8, excellent level of detail and great imaging. I used my WM1Zm2 as digital source instead of driving it into WA8 with the HP output because the DAP doesn't have enough gain.

Would highly recommend WA8 for anyone who wants a DAC/amp in one device.

Plus the gold color is beautiful.

Attachments

• IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #819 of 838
I got a WA8 on loan this week as well. It's an amazing DAC/amp that compares very well with other desktop-class amp despite its small footprint. Has enough juice to drive the power hungry Abyss Diana TC, something even the Sony DMP Z1 can't do well. The Diana TC sounds very good with the WA8, excellent level of detail and great imaging. I used my WM1Zm2 as digital source instead of driving it into WA8 with the HP output because the DAP doesn't have enough gain.

Would highly recommend WA8 for anyone who wants a DAC/amp in one device.

Plus the gold color is beautiful.

Beautiful setup!! How are you able to loan one? I'd love to hear one even if I was paying shipping both ways.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #821 of 838
I'm a regular customer of Woo Audio so I just asked Jack Wu for a demo unit :)

You can also email Woo but I'd imagine they'd ask for a deposit for, you know, safeguard

How do you compare the WA8 to your other Woo gear? Could you call out specific models you have? I have been looking at at the WA22 and then stumbled on the WA8 and while I don't really need portable, the idea of taking it with me on business travel to listen in a hotel room definitely intrigues me.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #822 of 838
How do you compare the WA8 to your other Woo gear? Could you call out specific models you have? I have been looking at at the WA22 and then stumbled on the WA8 and while I don't really need portable, the idea of taking it with me on business travel to listen in a hotel room definitely intrigues me.
I have a WA33 as my other tube amp so it's not a fair comparison :)

WA8 is really good if:
- You travel
- You wanna bring something that sounds amazing to work and trigger envy in co-workers
- You want to listen to great music on a sofa / bed

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #823 of 838
My wa8 switched off mid use today while plugged in to the mains. There are no lights flashing on the side lights. Any sugggestions?

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #824 of 838
My wa8 switched off mid use today while plugged in to the mains. There are no lights flashing on the side lights. Any sugggestions?
Contact Woo, they're generally good at helping out.

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #825 of 838

Users who are viewing this thread

Back