Woo Audio WA-8
Feb 29, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #766 of 838
OK, I am just compelled to comment again, I've own this marvelous product since it was released. I'm a 72 year old audiophile (involved in audio since my teens) that has listen to and owned many, many high-end amps DACs., speakers pre/amps etc., etc. products over the years. The WA8 amazes me each day, it is by far the absolute best sounding amp/dac I've heard...open, spacious, warm, detailed, ballsy, and with that magic tube holographic soundstage that cannot be equaled with any solid state product. My other DAC/Amps (Grace, Benchmark, Chord and many lesser over the years) just pale by comparison. Even my other Woo amps (WA22/WA6-SE) matched with expensive DACs are no match. Wow (or is that Woo) what a product!

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #768 of 838
Guys, could anyone please give any comparisons of Wa8 vs other Woo Audio tube amps? Or link posts about it.. I managed to listen to Wa8 only, so atleast I could know something about other Woo amps using the comparisons with what I've heard.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #769 of 838
Even my other Woo amps (WA22/WA6-SE) matched with expensive DACs are no match. Wow (or is that Woo) what a product!

Could you, please, compare Woo amps that you've owned or listened to? Specifically other Woo amps vs Wa8.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #771 of 838
Does anyone know how the WA8 compares to the ALO CDM? I just bought a pair of ZMF VCs and am trying to find a good transportable tube amp to go with it.
I heard the VC’s with the WA8 and the pairing was outstanding. It drove them easily and I’ve being clamoring for this exact combo every since.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #772 of 838
Does anyone know how the WA8 compares to the ALO CDM? I just bought a pair of ZMF VCs and am trying to find a good transportable tube amp to go with it.

Comparison of CDM, Wa8 and Hugo 2.
Compared on the MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, through the line outputs to the Shangri La Jr via Stax t8000.

CDM vs Hugo 2 as dacamps: CDM is a lot simplier in amount of details. And in the volume of the scene. And in transparency. But is better in terms of completeness and depth of tone on treble and smoothness of midrange. But this smoothness is bad, because it is achieved, in many respects, by a tangible drawdown in resolution. In general, I will definitely choose Hugo over CDM on basic tubes.

Wa8 vs CDM as tube amps for Hugo2. Basic tubes for CDM are crap, because this drawdown in resolution comes from them (although not completely, but mainly), basically. The amplifier at Wa8 is noticeably higher in resolution.

Wa8 vs CDM as dacamps: Wa8 is darker, groovier, more agressive, worse in positioning, has a higher resolution, more weight in tone. CDM is more natural. Wa8 lacks dynamics, compared to CDM at basic tubes.

However, I have to notice, that its quite easy to order and setup changeable tubes insted of basic ones on CDM, while its very hard to do the same for Wa8, and the socket for CDM tubes is more widespread, so the are ×100 more changeable tubes, that can suit CDM, compared to Wa8. I've heard CDM on a better tubes, than the basic ones (but still far from the best ones, as CDM owners say), and the difference is very noticeable. The drawdown in resolution was a lot lot smaller. And some tubes can significantly change the overall tone balance aswell.

But I have to admit, that I have done multiple comparisons of Wa8's amp vs solid tube amps, and Wa8 has a genuine tube amp. Its clear, transparent, almost doesnt ruin the speed of attacks, unlike almost all other tube amps do. And, at the same time, agressive, full-weighted and groovy as hell. There arent many other tube amps with such a great amount of agression and weight in tone. Even among solid ones. Metal and rock sound amazing on it.

As a dacamp, id prefer CDM over Wa8. As an amp - it depends on the dac that you have. If you have a light-weighted dac (such as Hugo 2) and want to bring in more emotions, agression and groovyness, Wa8 would suit perfectly. If you have a well-balancedly sounding dac (such as a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch) or a darkened one (such as Lotoo Paw Gold) and dont want to get a dark sound, u'd better take CDM.

Additionally, id recommend a combo of Hugo 2 as an amp with Wa8 as a dacamp. I'm using it by myself and I'm crazily happy with it. Emotional as hell, a lot of details, huge soundstage, good tone balance. However, it will fit mostly izodynamic headphones, and even not all of them. Some of them (Meze Empyrian, for example) may sound a bit weird on it. But the ones, that will be in a synergy with this source (Ether C Flow, for example) will sound insanely great. This combo outranges CDM literally in everything. The only thing that some1 might find better in CDM is the overall natural tone balance. H2+Wa8 is super juicy, emotional, groovy, agressive, full-weighted. CDM sounds more analogue-like.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #773 of 838
Comparison of CDM, Wa8 and Hugo 2.
Compared on the MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, through the line outputs to the Shangri La Jr via Stax t8000.

CDM vs Hugo 2 as dacamps: CDM is a lot simplier in amount of details. And in the volume of the scene. And in transparency. But is better in terms of completeness and depth of tone on treble and smoothness of midrange. But this smoothness is bad, because it is achieved, in many respects, by a tangible drawdown in resolution. In general, I will definitely choose Hugo over CDM on basic tubes.

Wa8 vs CDM as tube amps for Hugo2. Basic tubes for CDM are crap, because this drawdown in resolution comes from them (although not completely, but mainly), basically. The amplifier at Wa8 is noticeably higher in resolution.

Wa8 vs CDM as dacamps: Wa8 is darker, groovier, more agressive, worse in positioning, has a higher resolution, more weight in tone. CDM is more natural. Wa8 lacks dynamics, compared to CDM at basic tubes.

However, I have to notice, that its quite easy to order and setup changeable tubes insted of basic ones on CDM, while its very hard to do the same for Wa8, and the socket for CDM tubes is more widespread, so the are ×100 more changeable tubes, that can suit CDM, compared to Wa8. I've heard CDM on a better tubes, than the basic ones (but still far from the best ones, as CDM owners say), and the difference is very noticeable. The drawdown in resolution was a lot lot smaller. And some tubes can significantly change the overall tone balance aswell.

But I have to admit, that I have done multiple comparisons of Wa8's amp vs solid tube amps, and Wa8 has a genuine tube amp. Its clear, transparent, almost doesnt ruin the speed of attacks, unlike almost all other tube amps do. And, at the same time, agressive, full-weighted and groovy as hell. There arent many other tube amps with such a great amount of agression and weight in tone. Even among solid ones. Metal and rock sound amazing on it.

As a dacamp, id prefer CDM over Wa8. As an amp - it depends on the dac that you have. If you have a light-weighted dac (such as Hugo 2) and want to bring in more emotions, agression and groovyness, Wa8 would suit perfectly. If you have a well-balancedly sounding dac (such as a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch) or a darkened one (such as Lotoo Paw Gold) and dont want to get a dark sound, u'd better take CDM.

Additionally, id recommend a combo of Hugo 2 as an amp with Wa8 as a dacamp. I'm using it by myself and I'm crazily happy with it. Emotional as hell, a lot of details, huge soundstage, good tone balance. However, it will fit mostly izodynamic headphones, and even not all of them. Some of them (Meze Empyrian, for example) may sound a bit weird on it. But the ones, that will be in a synergy with this source (Ether C Flow, for example) will sound insanely great. This combo outranges CDM literally in everything. The only thing that some1 might find better in CDM is the overall natural tone balance. H2+Wa8 is super juicy, emotional, groovy, agressive, full-weighted. CDM sounds more analogue-like.
Thanks! This was a very helpful comparison.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #774 of 838
I've been running my Hugo 2 with my WA2 and it's certainly a great combo.

Nice to hear it's the same with the WA8 as i've been considering one as a portable unit.

Aug 14, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #775 of 838
I've been running my Hugo 2 with my WA2 and it's certainly a great combo.

Nice to hear it's the same with the WA8 as i've been considering one as a portable unit.

Depending on your taste, CDM with good tubes might be better. It will be more natural sounding, most likely. But less agressive, full-weighted, juicy and groovy.

I'd prefer Wa8 by myself (and I did so:wink: )

However, I'm now considering changing my H2 to LP6TI6v, and, since it's tone is more full-weighted, I'm considering changing Wa8 for CDM. I'll make this comparison comparably soon.

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #776 of 838
Anyone, know if there is an update planned for the WA8?

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #778 of 838
That'd be nice, an updated DAC with a balanced input would be awesome, or just the DAC, heh.
That's kinda what I was hoping for. I would love to see a balanced version of the WA8. A upgraded DAC would be just a bonus. I would hate to purchase this amp only to see a 2nd generation released. I really want to add this amp to my collection and I've been itching to pull the plug on one.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #779 of 838
That's kinda what I was hoping for. I would love to see a balanced version of the WA8. A upgraded DAC would be just a bonus. I would hate to purchase this amp only to see a 2nd generation released. I really want to add this amp to my collection and I've been itching to pull the plug on one.
I had this amp and loved it, only reason I let it go was to get something with more versatility.

Sound was on point.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #780 of 838
I had this amp and loved it, only reason I let it go was to get something with more versatility.

Sound was on point.
I'm having trouble letting go of the sound impression it left on me as well. I heard it paired with a ZMF Verite open and closed and I've been clamoring for one ever since. Adding a balance output would add some versatility to the WA8. That's why I'm quietly holding out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back