Woo Audio WA-8
Sep 13, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #752 of 838
I'd love any feedback anyone has on the WA8 versus, say, the WA2, i.e., the WA8 versus any of Woo's larger desktop amps.

The WA8 is obviously more transportable, but is anything lost / much different in sound between it and a desktop - any feedback?

The WA8 more than holds its weight against desktop tube amps... it's not as neutral, having a bias toward the low-end and the warm side of things. But I find that's exactly the bias I usually EQ for when I'm on-the-go anyways.

Sep 13, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #753 of 838
The WA8 more than holds its weight against desktop tube amps... it's not as neutral, having a bias toward the low-end and the warm side of things. But I find that's exactly the bias I usually EQ for when I'm on-the-go anyways.

This sound signature has spoiled me. Its sound is right where I want it as well.

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #754 of 838
I recently purchased the 6021 Sylvania tube. It sounds true to the description on the Woo Audio website:
  • Sylvania 6021: great clarity, organic vocals, improved soundstage depth.
It has a wider soundstage to my ears, and seemingly delivers sharper details overall (slightly brighter with mids slightly more forward). Remember...descriptions are subjective to what you’ll actually hear in your headset not what’s being described by anyone. I imagine the overall sound will become more organic over time as I found that to be the case with the stock tubes. I believe in burn in time with tubes.

I have been enjoying my WA8, using it with headphone as well as regularly as a preamp for my home system.

I also noticed with the stock tubes it is exactly as @Stereolab42 says, a bias towards the low and warmth. Seems like Sylvania 6021 is exactly what needed to balanced that out.

I also wonder about the other tubes listed in the woo website. Sylvania 6GF7 and GE 6021. Has anyone tried those?

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #755 of 838
Has anyone had a chance to test the upgrade tubes apart from the Sylvania 6021?
  • Sylvania 6BF7:

• GE 6021:

• Mullard CV3986: spacious, well-balanced sound

• Sylvania 6021: great clarity, organic vocals, improved soundstage depth.
To be honest I prefer warm/smooth sound, I'm guessing the default tubes are probably leaning most that way..

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #756 of 838
CBA6EA17-7DCD-4E2C-BB9E-108B612ACCFD.jpeg I have purchased the Sylvania 6021 & Mullard tube. I think the descriptions on the website hold true. My fave of the 3 is the Mullard tube (pictured). Each tube brings a slightly different flavor; however...I think each tube has a ‘warm/smooth’ sound....I’m unable to determine any significant distinction regarding warmth. It seems you can’t go wrong with any of the current tube offerings. It’s fun to have the accessory options for those willing to tweak the SQ of the unit.

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #757 of 838
Hi everyone, first time here. I have enjoyed my WA8 and LCD-3 combo but can’t help but feel the WA8 DAC is a bit below the best. Thoughts on using an external DAC (H2 or RME ADI-2) to feed the line-in?
Thanks, Evan

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #758 of 838
Hi everyone, first time here. I have enjoyed my WA8 and LCD-3 combo but can’t help but feel the WA8 DAC is a bit below the best. Thoughts on using an external DAC (H2 or RME ADI-2) to feed the line-in?
Thanks, Evan

Well, you will probably have to at some point. The DAC/USB connection of my WA8 died on me after 16 months and with Woo Audio's frankly atrocious warranty terms a repair is extremely costly.

That being said, with the H2 it works brilliantly. I have one on loan at the moment and since the amp part of the Woo still works I gave it a shot. The H2 DAC wipes the floor with WA8 in my opinion.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #759 of 838
I love my WA8 but lately have had a problem. In 3 tube mode the sound is very quiet and very distorted, I thought maybe the 6021 tube had gone bad so I ordered the mullard replacement and after installing it the sound is louder but the distortion is still there and very bad. It works perfectly fine in 2 tube mode. Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #760 of 838
I love my WA8 but lately have had a problem. In 3 tube mode the sound is very quiet and very distorted, I thought maybe the 6021 tube had gone bad so I ordered the mullard replacement and after installing it the sound is louder but the distortion is still there and very bad. It works perfectly fine in 2 tube mode. Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

Hi, it is necessary to power OFF the WA8 before making changes to the tubes output selection. e.g. from 2 tubes to 3 tubes operation and vice versa. This allow the circuit to reset. Otherwise, the sound will have distortion. Please send an email to info@wooaudio.com if you need additional assistance.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #762 of 838
after using the WA8 for 4 years now, I think my original power supply has died. for some reason, I can power up the WA8 by itself but when I plug in the power supply, the WA8 will not turn on. any ideas why? have any of you had a reason to replace the original power supply? I was wondering if I can get an OEM one as long as it matches the specs of the original power supply... any advice would be appreciated, thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back