Woo Audio WA-8
Jul 1, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #361 of 838
mmm....I attached 4 3M rubber bumps to act as a buffer between the ultra-hot WA8 and DAP.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Electronics_NA/Electronics/Products/Electronics_Product_Catalog/~/Bumpon-Products?N=8704948&rt=r3

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #362 of 838
Actually I've got a quick question for you. Just wondering if this is safe. I have the Mojo "stacked" with my WA8 right now. The WA8 gets hot, and I know the Mojo has an overheat sensor (at least I think it does) but I'm just a bit worried about the heat. Do you think doing the combo like this is safe? Thanks for the help. 

Do you really prefer MOJO>WA8 better than WA8 direct ( USB Digital In) ?

When I tested the WA8 I really prefered the sound when using the WA8 alone (using it's Internal DAC) instead of HUGO->WA8 !

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #363 of 838
  Actually I've got a quick question for you. Just wondering if this is safe. I have the Mojo "stacked" with my WA8 right now. The WA8 gets hot, and I know the Mojo has an overheat sensor (at least I think it does) but I'm just a bit worried about the heat. Do you think doing the combo like this is safe? Thanks for the help. 

Thoroughly enjoying my wee transportable set up :)

I recommend to do some critical listening to see if that combo is truly better than W8 on its own.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #364 of 838

I recommend to do some critical listening to see if that combo is truly better than W8 on its own.

I've been going back and forth. Not sure which I like more yet. 

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #365 of 838
mmm......lol! If it is a tie, the WA8 (standalone) wins. Why? Because adding another piece of equipment in your audio chain (in your case, the Mojo) does not add anything. No value added. Which means, stick with your WA8 in standalone mode.......................and junk the Mojo. lol!

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #366 of 838
  mmm......lol! If it is a tie, the WA8 (standalone) wins.

Yes.... as long as your source has USB-Digital out
redface.gif

Indeed the WA8 do not accept Optical-In so you can't use it with a A&K DAP as direct source (except the new AK70 that has USB-digital out)

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #367 of 838
  mmm......lol! If it is a tie, the WA8 (standalone) wins. Why? Because adding another piece of equipment in your audio chain (in your case, the Mojo) does not add anything. No value added. Which means, stick with your WA8 in standalone mode.......................and junk the Mojo. lol!

Lol. I agree, no point in having extra stuff in the chain if it isn't needed. I love my mojo though, so I don't think I would sell it. If I can get a cable to use it with my iphone, it would be good with IEMS for flights and whatnot. 

What headphones are you using most with your WA8 out of curiosity? 

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #368 of 838
Mmm....yup, but I am assuming that he is using the same digital source and familiar tracks to A/B the wa8 vs. Wa8 + mojo. So, I am assuming that the test rig is laptop to wa8 vs. laptop to mojo via usb input and mojo (line-out activated) to wa8 (line-in). In other words, the variable is the DAC.

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #369 of 838
Mmm....yup, but I am assuming that he is using the same digital source and familiar tracks to A/B the wa8 vs. Wa8 + mojo. So, I am assuming that the test rig is laptop to wa8 vs. laptop to mojo via usb input and mojo (line-out activated) to wa8 (line-in). In other words, the variable is the DAC.

Exactly right. The great thing is I already own the Mojo, so I can take my time A/B'ing the set ups. Lots of fun :)

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #370 of 838
What headphones are you using most with your WA8 out of curiosity? 

I tested It with the HE-X and It was PERFECT match !

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #371 of 838
mmm......senn hd800S would top my list, Next would be the grado ps 1000, he 1000, denon 5000 (modified) beyerdynamic t1.2. Meh would be the two ethers and the el8 open. I'm postponing pairing it with my two audezes (lcd 3f and lcd x) until I get my backordered headphones cable. For iems, I'm just beginning to test it with the eclipse. Excellent pairing with the akt8ie (phenomenal really and in 2-tube mode). However, I did experience an odd problem. Once I reach 6/10 on the volume pot of the eclipse (on low gain mode or 2-tube mode) , the t8 stopped working (that can't be good). Need to investigate the cause. Not sure if it is a t8 problem or something else.

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #372 of 838
I'm @ a fork in the road about getting the CDM or perhaps the WA8 Eclipse. I listen exclusively to IEM's and have read very positive opinions about both amp/DAC's when using IEM's.

Anyone here have both? If so, could you briefly summarize the differences you've found in IEM listening and which one you prefer? 

Thanks!

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #373 of 838
I've used the WA8 with two iems (k10 - custom, 1964 V6 stage). It's good but I wasn't blown away compared with HD800S. To me, the difference wasn't significant, as say compared to the Hugo with iems. With the WA8, I noticed thicker bass, but it messed with the balance of the other frequencies.

I'm @ a fork in the road about getting the CDM or perhaps the WA8 Eclipse. I listen exclusively to IEM's and have read very positive opinions about both amp/DAC's when using IEM's.

Anyone here have both? If so, could you briefly summarize the differences you've found in IEM listening and which one you prefer? 

Thanks!

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #374 of 838
I've used the WA8 with two iems (k10 - custom, 1964 V6 stage). It's good but I wasn't blown away compared with HD800S. To me, the difference wasn't significant, as say compared to the Hugo with iems. With the WA8, I noticed thicker bass, but it messed with the balance of the other frequencies.

Were you able to use the WA8 as amp only with the Hugo? Impressions?

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #375 of 838
  mmm......senn hd800S would top my list, Next would be the grado ps 1000, he 1000, denon 5000 (modified) beyerdynamic t1.2. Meh would be the two ethers and the el8 open.

Do you have the 2016 EL8-O? Stock cable? I dunno. I'm hoping that you have the 2015 version and the 2016 with better cable would pair more favorably with the Eclipse. Even pairing with the TH-X00 would be nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back