Woo Audio WA-8
Jun 19, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #316 of 838
beyersmile.png
mmm......the  oldest headphones (by manufacture date/year)  in my small headphones collection is the extinct Denon AH 5000 (acquired 2 years ago, pre-owned and modified by Lawton Audio by the former owner). Of all my headphones, this is the one that makes reproduced music sound so natural, effortless and pleasing to the ears. I never thought that it can sound  even better. Not until I plugged it to my Eclipse WA 8. MAJOR GOOSEBUMPS! Highly recommended pairing (laptop + WA8 + HP setup). Yup.....the multi-talented Eclipse can teach old dogs new tricks.

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #317 of 838
Just wondering, but would it be safe to assume that it's safe to put back the WA8 in it's Pelican case after usage while still hot/warm?

Or would that be detrimental to the spongey stuff or plastic in the case because of the heat generated?

Cheers
James

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #318 of 838
Just wondering, but would it be safe to assume that it's safe to put back the WA8 in it's Pelican case after usage while still hot/warm?

Or would that be detrimental to the spongey stuff or plastic in the case because of the heat generated?

Cheers
James

It should be fine to put it in the Pelican case while it's still warm. I've had to do that sometimes with mine, although I like to let the WA8 cool down first.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #319 of 838
Cool. I'm always needing to put it back in the box straight away do I don't always get time for it to cool down first. It does get pretty hot!

It should be fine to put it in the Pelican case while it's still warm. I've had to do that sometimes with mine, although I like to let the WA8 cool down first.

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #320 of 838
mmm.....my routine is to let it cool down until it is around room temp before storing it. If you are in a hurry, I suggest an old laptop hack. Use a laptop cooler when operating the Eclipse. Aluminum with fan works best to dissipate the heat away from the Eclipse and into the cooling fins of the laptop cooler.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #321 of 838
I try to let mine cool down first, it actually cools down really quick if you lay it on its side.
But I have had to put it in the Pelican when it was still warm as well, seems ok.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #322 of 838
  Nice write up. I wonder when Woo does their refresh. Since I'll won't be looking at purchasing till the end of the year, I'm wondering (hoping) they do a refresh and offer Optical in. Here's to hoping anyway.

The most recent product that received a refresh was WA7 Fireflies which have been in production since 2012, revised in 2016. We do not refresh products every year or two. We get it right the first time and then wait for technology to advance far enough to warrant a change. You can buy WA8 Eclipse today with confidence. 

Optical input was originally considered. Additional digital inputs means more parts and a way to switch between them. We decided on a single digital input for a cleaner circuit to achieve the best performance.

Cheers
James

Not a problem.

Jun 21, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #323 of 838
Good to know I don't need to worry about packing away after a dose of euphoria :wink:

The most recent product that received a refresh was WA7 Fireflies which have been in production since 2012, revised in 2016. We do not refresh products every year or two. We get it right the first time and then wait for technology to advance far enough to warrant a change. You can buy WA8 Eclipse today with confidence. 

Optical input was originally considered. Additional digital inputs means more parts and a way to switch between them. We decided on a single digital input for a cleaner circuit to achieve the best performance.

Not a problem.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #324 of 838
Hi everyone,

For those interested, here are my impressions of the Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse when paired with the Meze Headphones 99 Classics, my Custom PC and Questyle Audio QP1R, written during the time I had the WA8 Eclipse on loan for a couple of weeks (the full review of the 99 Classics is here).

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #325 of 838
  ... Optical input was originally considered. Additional digital inputs means more parts and a way to switch between them. We decided on a single digital input for a cleaner circuit to achieve the best performance.

Not a problem.

OK, I can agree with this choice not to insert a switch in the signal path for ultimate SQ reason, expecialy since A&K released the AK70 with USB digital-out (and yesterday A&K wrote me on their Facebook page that USB Digital-out will be available on their other DAPs through firmware upgrade).

But... for the 3/4 hours short battery run time I still believe that +200 or +300 grammes for + 2 hours will have been much welcomed... 

Anyway, the WA8 is a wonderfull device, and, since I reviewed it, I want one !  
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #326 of 838
Does the WA8 suffers from Microphonics ?

during my test of the WA8 I did not take tilme to verify if the WA8 has microphonic problems like the TU-05 does:  if you move (or even touch) the TU-05 then you can then hear the tubes ringing in your headphone and it take dozen of seconds before they come silent again. This is quite ambarassing for a transportable device !    

--> Is it also the case with the WA8.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #327 of 838
  Does the WA8 suffers from Microphonics ?

during my test of the WA8 I did not take tilme to verify if the WA8 has microphonic problems like the TU-05 does:  if you move (or even touch) the TU-05 then you can then hear the tubes ringing in your headphone and it take dozen of seconds before they come silent again. This is quite ambarassing for a transportable device !    

--> Is it also the case with the WA8.

no... 
smily_headphones1.gif

So.... My modest complete WA8 review is published here 

Thanks for sharing your listening impressions. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #328 of 838
Got my SG WA8 yesterday and I am blown away! I confirm that with the 800Ss it warms them up and adds a perfect amount of low/mids to make the music come alive! With the HDVD800 they were sterile as hell, but this was night and day. Also confirmed that balanced connections to the 800Ss is hogwash (unless you have 100ff + between your amp and headphones...LOL). I'll sell my cable now....

Only real concern with the WA8 is the battery being heated up so much. During my reading in the past the worst enemy of Lion batteries is heat. During the charge cycle chargers are programed to slow the charge at the end of the battery because that is where most of the heat is generated.  You also don't want to keep devices plugged in all the time because of the excessive cycling at the end which essentially repeats and repeats.  You can cook an egg of this sucker when fully warmed up, so I think no matter what this battery can't escape this heat...A shame.

So, I am afraid we will all need to have batteries replaced prematurely because of the heat, but I still think it is worth it for the trans-portability and the sound that comes out of this thing! Hope it will be a simple process to change the battery because there is no way I am going to ship this to Woo for battery replacement every 1-2 years across borders.

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #329 of 838
  Got my SG WA8 yesterday and I am blown away! I confirm that with the 800Ss it warms them up and adds a perfect amount of low/mids to make the music come alive! With the HDVD800 they were sterile as hell, but this was night and day. Also confirmed that balanced connections to the 800Ss is hogwash (unless you have 100ff + between your amp and headphones...LOL). I'll sell my cable now....

Only real concern with the WA8 is the battery being heated up so much. During my reading in the past the worst enemy of Lion batteries is heat. During the charge cycle chargers are programed to slow the charge at the end of the battery because that is where most of the heat is generated.  You also don't want to keep devices plugged in all the time because of the excessive cycling at the end which essentially repeats and repeats.  You can cook an egg of this sucker when fully warmed up, so I think no matter what this battery can't escape this heat...A shame.

So, I am afraid we will all need to have batteries replaced prematurely because of the heat, but I still think it is worth it for the trans-portability and the sound that comes out of this thing! Hope it will be a simple process to change the battery because there is no way I am going to ship this to Woo for battery replacement every 1-2 years across borders.

A user swapable battery will have been a very good solution, so that we could also carry 2 fully charged battery with us when we travel; able to swapp the empty battery for a fully charged one after 3 or 4 hours of playing time.

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #330 of 838

A user swapable battery will have been a very good solution, so that we could also carry 2 fully charged battery with us when we travel; able to swapp the empty battery for a fully charged one after 3 or 4 hours of playing time.

That would have been amazing! This isn't a cell phone so think it shouldn't follow the same design scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back