Woo Audio WA-8
Jun 14, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #286 of 838
Tha
Mmm....eureka ! i found my third really good  pairing with the WA8. It reminds me why the HE 1000 is a special headphone. Shawn, my attack sheep, is currently enjoying David Benoit.

Thanks for all those infos. It looks like with a TH900 and a HE-X I am a good candidate for the WA8 :grin:

I se you also owe HUGO TT, so please Could you tell us how SQ wise the TT & WA8 compare. Is the " much more expensive TT" really better than the WA8 ? I will be VERY interested by your comparaison.

( owning à HUGO, I tried the TT several time and could not justify buying the TT. The SQ upgrade was too small for me ! )

PS: Is the Tablet on the picture your "source" ? Is It microsoft surface pro ? What player software do you use ? ROON ?

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #287 of 838
Mmm....I'll compare it later (wa8 and chord tt) but, outright, the TT has some important advantages that makes it truly versatile: more input and output connectivity than the WA8 including aptX bluetooth, option to connect to a balanced amplifier, multiple headphones listening (up to 3 at a time),  much longer battery life, can be used as a preamp for stereo listening, supports playback up to 32-bit 384 Mhz., etc.

Yes, I am using the Surface Pro 3 (pictured) and the Surface Book as source and Audio Quest Jitterbug to deal with noisy USB. Software not Roon but Foobar.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #288 of 838
  NEW Focal headphones pairs exceptionally well with WA8. 
basshead.gif

Mmm....whoah.......focal utopia..:....priced the same as the lcd 4. Lol!

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #289 of 838

The WA8 black is in my hot little hands.

When I received the box, it was a bit battered, but the sales person assured me it's ok as it's in the pelican case.

I'm just a bit worried, as it looks as if there is a chip in the glass on the inside which was already there when I unboxed it..

Is that a sign of quality control?

Thinking of getting a replacement panel or something sent. In terms of function it works, but have only tried the line in.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #290 of 838
Sound is bloody exceptional.

I didn't know the potential of my HD800S!

The soundstage and 3D sound. WOW

Natural. Big sound. Live. Immersive.
are the few words to describe the WA8.

I still stand by the line out sounding better than the integrated DAC. (tested with the iPhone 6S plus)

Line out is from the Fiio X7.

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #291 of 838
The WA8 black is in my hot little hands.

When I received the box, it was a bit battered, but the sales person assured me it's ok as it's in the pelican case.

I'm just a bit worried, as it looks as if there is a chip in the glass on the inside which was already there when I unboxed it..

Is that a sign of quality control?

Thinking of getting a replacement panel or something sent. In terms of function it works, but have only tried the line in.

Could it be dust or something inside? Send us an email and we'll provide you instructions on how to remove the glass and clean the inside. info@wooaudio.com

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #292 of 838
jimmy6, I am happy that you enjoy your new toy :wink:

From what you state, It seems that the X7's DAC Is better than the integrated WA8's DAC ? Correct ?

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #293 of 838
Looking for a desktop option with a small foot print that can drive full size and IEM. I heard the WA8 at Axpona with LCD-X and it sounded amazing.

Has anyone tried any of Campfire IEM line with the WA8? Or Sure 846?

I'd be interested in any and all IEM feedback.

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #294 of 838
Pretty sure it isn't dust, but I could be wrong! The speck shimmers and sparkles in the light, but would be more than happy to remove it if it were dust. (Hopefully it is!)

I'll send through an email. Cheers

Could it be dust or something inside? Send us an email and we'll provide you instructions on how to remove the glass and clean the inside. info@wooaudio.com

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #295 of 838
  Looking for a desktop option with a small foot print that can drive full size and IEM. I heard the WA8 at Axpona with LCD-X and it sounded amazing.

Has anyone tried any of Campfire IEM line with the WA8? Or Sure 846?

I'd be interested in any and all IEM feedback.

One of the IEMs used during development of WA8 was the AKG K3003 (8 Ohms). A lot of attention was paid to ensure noise-free operation and sonic performance. Others were Etymotic ER4, Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered, Noble Audio K10, Sony XBA-Z5, and many others.

I'm enjoying this system as I type this. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #296 of 838
I can't say whether it's better or not.

Only that I've compared the same file and song, using the WA8 dac through the iPhone and line out of the X7 and I definitely prefer the X7.

jimmy6, I am happy that you enjoy your new toy :wink:

From what you state, It seems that the X7's DAC Is better than the integrated WA8's DAC ? Correct ?

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #297 of 838
I can't say whether it's better or not.

Only that I've compared the same file and song, using the WA8 dac through the iPhone and line out of the X7 and I definitely prefer the X7.

This saddens me. The Dac in the Oppo is said to not be that great (which was an amp I was considering), now you say the DAC in a $600 DAP sounds better than one in a $1800 combo that I'm considering. Is it the ESS 9018 chip that all the devices I'm interested in not that great?  Even the Onkyo DP-X1 that I was all hot and bothered over recently uses that DAC chip as well. Is there a certain signature that that chip has that turns people off?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a seasoned connoisseur of such things. It is just that when devices cost as much as they do, and you have to save up for them. You don't want to improperly purchase and then find out that you could've done better with something else.

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #298 of 838

One of the IEMs used during development of WA8 was the AKG K3003 (8 Ohms). A lot of attention was paid to ensure noise-free operation and sonic performance. Others were Etymotic ER4, Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered, Noble Audio K10, Sony XBA-Z5, and many others.

I'm enjoying this system as I type this. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks HiFiGuy. I emailed Woo about availability but have not heard back. Are any units current really to ship?

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #299 of 838
Thanks HiFiGuy. I emailed Woo about availability but have not heard back. Are any units current really to ship?

We reply to every email within 24 hrs. make sure it was sent to info@wooaudio.com

current lead time on WA8 is 3-4 weeks once your order is in the system. We are filling early April orders right now. WA8 shipments are going out daily. Check with our dealers to see if they have stock on hand. You may get lucky. 
beerchug.gif

http://wooaudio.com/dealers/

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #300 of 838
Thanks. I sent the question through Woo's website on Monday, but will try email instead.

Anyone else want to share IEM experience? Any Campfire users? I've' heard the Jupiter on the WA8 but only briefly and want to see if anyone else has tried this combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back