Woo Audio TUBE mini Balanced Headphone Amplifier/DAC
Aug 29, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #46 of 332
I think my Nutopias need this, perfect for an easy trasportable travel set up. The Wa8 is just too much of a brick for me.
I'll test the Utopias later this week.

I can say, it punches way above it's size and weight.

As for the niggles I don't like. You need to follow Woo's recommended hook up. For me I, I plug in the headphones first, switch it to SE (since I'm using balanced), and plug in the dongle. After a few minutes, I switch to BAL. You'll get a pop, but it isn't loud (even with the Sony Z1R). Do not unplug or plug in HP with it powered on. Period. The distortion it produces probably is safe for HP, but sounds terrible. It doesn't matter if the switch is on the active HP jack or not. The noise is terrible.

I also have a bit of complaint that the tube glow is artificial. The JAN6418 really don't have tube glow, so Woo had to tastefully reproduce it. Depending on how Woo integrated the tubes, the tube life could be 5000hours, 10,000 hours, or more. Cayin uses the the 6418 on the N3Pro and rates 30-40,000 tube life hours. I wish they would weigh in on this.

Overall its a pretty spectacular little dongle.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #47 of 332
I think my Nutopias need this, perfect for an easy trasportable travel set up. The Wa8 is just too much of a brick for me.
Funny you should mention this, as I decided to drop by the thread because I'm trying the NUtopias with the Tube Mini as I write this. Quite a nice pairing. It takes the edge off the treble just a touch, but doesn't go all mushy.

I left it plugged in for a couple of days, and while I can hear the slightly "flat" sound that ESS DACs seem to have, the tubes compensate a bit for that.

Up until now, if I wanted a portable tube anything, it was either use an old ALO Continental V5 or Cayin's N3 Pro, the latter of which I think is still available, but either way, I'll compare it for my review.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #48 of 332
How is the result with an iPhone, I heard it is not so great and do not sound better than other good quality dongles like Dragonfly etc...anyone could compare, it seems to work well mainly with iPad, portable PC, Mc Book but not with iPhone.

Sep 2, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #49 of 332
Too much interference when using with my Pixel Fold, perhaps solved if you can somehow truly turn off all of your signals: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, & wireless service connections. I use a DAP, but you still need to be stationary, or cradle the amp if moving to avoid distortion/popping. The loose USB-A dongle is designed to slide right off with just a slight bit of motion/movement. Sure wish they went with USB-C for a secure and effortless connection. Since USB-C has proven to be durable enough for every smartphone and tablet, it's surely ready for primetime use with this stationary tube AMP.

I did notice a notable improvement in sound quality, and same as others have reported, you need to turn the volume down lower than prior settings. But I mainly just use headphones for audiobooks, so I'm not the best judge, because to me, headphones are no comparison in performance to dedicated subs and full tower speakers. I'm mainly into home audio, and new to hifi/totl portable headphones, as of these past couple months. I'm wondering why I bought all this headphone gear because I still favor Bose with noise canceling.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ne...er-trifecta-jl-audio-f212-ml-descent.1305658/

Attachments

• headphones.jpg
    headphones.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #50 of 332
My initial impressions: The best/optimal case use is with a laptop…RF noises increase with cell phone use as a source (less than ideal). This isn’t a device for on the go use…stationary use only. I’m using it with a Thinkpad and Fostex TR-X00 Ebony headphones. It’s what it is described to be..a mini tube amp/DAC. It has a traditional big/bold/lush/warm/fuzzy/robust tube sound. It’s essentially a scaled down version of the WA8 (which I’ve previously owned). My personal gripes are the loud popping noises that are sometimes encountered when switching from SE to balanced. There are instructions included to mitigate this but I’ve still experienced it to some varying effect. You will also hear a ringing noise if the unit is moved or handled while in operation. There are also low level RF signal noises that can be heard periodically (during non playback). At the end of the day…what does it sound like is what matters (see my aforementioned comments..it’s glorious)…& if you’re seeking tube vibes on a grand scale… that’s easily transportable…then this device is for you. It’s remarkable/groundbreaking in that regard.

Attachments

• IMG_6058.jpeg
    IMG_6058.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #51 of 332
My initial impressions: The best/optimal case use is with a laptop…RF noises increase with cell phone use as a source (less than ideal). This isn’t a device for on the go use…stationary use only. I’m using it with a Thinkpad and Fostex TR-X00 Ebony headphones. It’s what it is described to be..a mini tube amp/DAC. It has a traditional big/bold/lush/warm/fuzzy/robust tube sound. It’s essentially a scaled down version of the WA8 (which I’ve previously owned). My personal gripes are the loud popping noises that are sometimes encountered when switching from SE to balanced. There are instructions included to mitigate this but I’ve still experienced it to some varying effect. You will also hear a ringing noise if the unit is moved or handled while in operation. There are also low level RF signal noises that can be heard periodically (during non playback). At the end of the day…what does it sound like is what matters (see my aforementioned comments..it’s glorious)…& if you’re seeking tube vibes on a grand scale… that’s easily transportable…then this device is for you. It’s remarkable/groundbreaking in that regard.

Thank you for those appreciative and welcome impressions. While I'm waiting for my Tube Mini to arrive I’m interested in your previous experience with the WA8 and comparing the Tube Mini with the WA8 there are various factors that could balance their sound quality bringing them on the same level.

The WA8 was released about 7 years ago and in that time technology in the audiophile sector has made huge advances. The WA8 has 3 tubes whereas the Tube mini only has 2 and being a dongle, although I hesitate to call it that, is much smaller so seemingly with less potential. Would you say then that the sound quality of the Tube Mini has brilliantly caught up with that of the WA8 and so the quality of the tube vibes they produce are now both on the same glorious level?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #52 of 332
Thank you for those appreciative and welcome impressions. While I'm waiting for my Tube Mini to arrive I’m interested in your previous experience with the WA8 and comparing the Tube Mini with the WA8 there are various factors that could balance their sound quality bringing them on the same level.

The WA8 was released about 7 years ago and in that time technology in the audiophile sector has made huge advances. The WA8 has 3 tubes whereas the Tube mini only has 2 and being a dongle, although I hesitate to call it that, is much smaller so seemingly with less potential. Would you say then that the sound quality of the Tube Mini has brilliantly caught up with that of the WA8 and so the quality of the tube vibes they produce are now both on the same glorious level?
They are two different beasts. The WA8 is not a tube hybrid like the Woo Tube Mini. The WA8 is much more finicky with transducers. They WA8 tubes run at higher voltages and actually drive the headphones. It is hard to say what Woo did with the Tube Mini. I woukd guess the 6418 are tube buffers to the MOSFET.

It's not a catchup to the WA8 as much as a hybrid dongle that gives you the flavor of WA8 without the WA8 compromises. It is brilliant though.

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #53 of 332
I’ve owned both and they’re similar in sound quality (from recollection). Albeit…I sold off the WA8 some years ago…so side by side ‘today’ I cannot state. I don’t have a background/experience on circuit design. I cannot state how the tubes are implemented comparatively. I’m speaking from a user case standpoint. I can undoubtedly state that the tube mini is on par with the WA8 in many regards. Its diminutive size doesn’t detract from its offerings in the desk top space. It offers a bold scale in power and sound quality. If I read the Woo Audio literature correctly…that was the design pursuit of the tube mini. I think Woo Audio has achieved it. Now…is it a replacement for WA8? For me…yes. Others…who knows? I use the tube mini at my work station with a company issued laptop. It’s ideal in that regard. I’m stunned by the bottomless power and wall of sound that it sheds. Fostex’s TR-X00 pairs impeccably with it. I use this cable with it as opposed to what’s included in the kit. [10Gbps] USB C to USB Adapter... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8HBF7PJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Caution: It plays dangerously loud.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #54 of 332
I’ve owned both and they’re similar in sound quality (from recollection). Albeit…I sold off the WA8 some years ago…so side by side ‘today’ I cannot state. I’m have no background or experience on circuit design. I cannot state how the tubes are implemented comparatively. I’m speaking from a user case standpoint. I can undoubtedly state that the tube mini is on par with the WA8 in many regards. Its diminutive scale in size doesn’t detract from its offering in the desk top space. It offers a bold scale in power and sound quality. If I read the Woo Audio literature correctly…that was the design pursuit of the tube mini. I think Woo Audio has achieved it. Now…is it a replacement for WA8? For me…yes. Others…who knows? I use the tube mini at my work station with a company issued laptop. It’s ideal in that regard. I’m stunned by the bottomless power and wall of sound that it sheds. Fostex’s TR-X00 pairs impeccably with it. I use this cable with it as opposed to what’s included in the kit. [10Gbps] USB C to USB Adapter... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8HBF7PJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Caution: It plays dangerously loud.
It's not a replacement for WA8.

The WA8/Utopia combination is stunning. Second favorite is the Stellia. Holographic with perfect mids. As I go to the Diana V2 and DCA series, the WA8 loses control a bit.

The tube mini is more forward, more "exciting", and more SS. Never heard Topaz, but i imagine that's some characteristics of that device. The tube mini drives the DCA Stealths extremely well. The Diana V2 combo is my personal favorite. I agree with the seemingly bottomless power.

Neither is better or worse. Just different. I can see someone being blissfully happy with the tube mini and saving a bunch of money and hassle over the WA8.

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #55 of 332
The WA8 Eclipse is literally a hand brick to transport (comparatively). The specific use case & advantage in favor of the tube mini is its pocket portability…with little to no compromise on driving whatever cans your pockets can afford. I dare not and cannot make a ‘replacement for the WA8’ claim. I’m only stating what the advantaged differences are from having owned both. So I don’t want to mislead anyone…just sharing reflections from the WA8 and now the Tube Mini offering. And of course YMMV and everyone should rely on their own use case and actual experiences with any product rather than my impressions.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #56 of 332
Getting an iPhone 15 pro max soon. I wonder if the usb-c implementation will be a better match than lightning, based on feedback that usb-c from iPads sound better.

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #58 of 332
It's arrived! And what a great surprise! As I listen to Chet Baker’s trumpet on his album “Chet” through the WA Tube Mini fed by iPad mini 6 the mellow, euphonic sound transports me to his playing presence and I lose consciousness of reality, the emotions and sensations from the sound produced by the WA Tube Mini go beyond anything I’ve heard before, a truly admirable feat of technology which I cannot but recommend to anybody wishing to reach this level of audiophine bliss with a relatively small financial investment. My use is currently with a U22, confined to my desktop and so I get no hissing, pops and crackles or waterfalls, no disconnections from iPad mini 6, the sound is continuous, the soundstage alive, detailed and immersive, imaging is vivid and precise, Woo Audio’s Tube Mini is indeed an outstanding technological and musical achievement.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #59 of 332
i demoed it today with my Nutopia and I definitely liked how it sounded. However, I haven’t bought it yet as I need to think about whether I have the patience as it isn’t very user friendly.

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #60 of 332
Quick question. I received mine a few days ago, finally tried it out today. I'm using a Sony NW-WM1ZM2 as a DAP with my headphones plugged into the 4.4 balanced. When I had everything plugged in and the Sony booted up it asked the question about allowing the Woo to connnect. I can output music to the headphones I've downloaded to the Sony fine, the green light comes on and good to go and music sounds great. But if I bring up YouTube and try to play music videos through the Mini I can't for the life of me get the green light to come on and sound to the headphones? Do I have something configured wrong or is that just something you can't do which would seem odd? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back