Woo Audio TUBE mini Balanced Headphone Amplifier/DAC
Aug 26, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #31 of 336
That's good to know. I'm less concerned with the cost than the option to have the service done assuming it doesn't cost more than a new one... Even if it's half the cost of new. No doubt these are built like a tank so far better than tossing in a dumpster.
Yes they look solid and ingenious with their spring-loaded suspension system and together with Mike at WA's post-warranty service reassurance I've just gone ahead and ordered one, will post impressions after burn in.

Aug 26, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #32 of 336
What source did you use to test tube mini?
I use Roon (bit perfect) and a low-noise USB hub of some kind, either a Vaunix or iFi iUSB 3. For the review, I test with an Android DAP and an iPhone. The latter, as it is with high-power-draw USB dongle DACs, is audibly inferior, as Apple limits the current their phones can output. In place of that I often use an iPad Mini. I can compare between using it directly from a computer and a low-noise source. How much it sounds brighter or harder from the computer gives me an idea how good a device is at noise rejection.

Aug 26, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #34 of 336
It'll never be garbage as after the 3 year warranty Mike at WA has just assured me they would service it after its expiry so no worries we can go ahead and order with peace of mind.
That's good to hear.

I guess the question will be the cost. I'm honestly not concerned. I love the WA8, but it's not really portable. I've never been excited about Nutube based gear. I want to love it, but I don't. Hopefully the Mini will give me truly portable tube goodness without the Nutube compromise.

Aug 26, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #36 of 336
Well I just went ahead and ordered a black one knowing they can potentially be serviced. Not sure why that was so important, I'm 68, if the tubes last over 5,000 hours I could be gone before they wear out anyway. Just a sustainability thing I guess. Ordered black to match my Lenovo X1 Carbon, I took your cue. I really wanted to order a red one but I don't think I've ever owned an audio component that wasn't silver or black so a little late to start now...

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #37 of 336
Well I just went ahead and ordered a black one knowing they can potentially be serviced. Not sure why that was so important, I'm 68, if the tubes last over 5,000 hours I could be gone before they wear out anyway. Just a sustainability thing I guess. Ordered black to match my Lenovo X1 Carbon, I took your cue. I really wanted to order a red one but I don't think I've ever owned an audio component that wasn't silver or black so a little late to start now...

Good choice and well done I’m sure that given Woo Audio’s experience with tubes and its past products we won’t be disappointed.

And even though, as George Harrison reminded us, All things must pass, one comes to love a DAP or a stereo system like a person as it gives us so much pleasure and excitement through music, so it’s communicative, it arouses emotions on the instant and evokes associations from our past of friends, experiences and thus we would like it to live with us as long as possible. That’s why Mike’s at WA reassurance on future servicing of the Mini Tubes will make potential buyers with reservations on longevity push the button, as we have done.

Silver and black are attractive and suitable colours to use with our computers or tablets, of the other colours I think my favourite is red as it isn’t a strong vivid red but borders on orange so it has a subtle, slightly ambiguous tonality that is both alive and discrete.

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #38 of 336
Thanks, only thing I'm a little confused about but it doesn't matter is I ordered from Woo and I noticed when I ordered a reference to "next batch shipping in 3 weeks". So I'm assuming that ordering secures you one from that next batch. But not 100% sure that's what it means. If Black was actually in stock and I happen to receive it sooner all the better. I happened to look a while ago and all 4 colors now show as sold out so timing is everything as they say.

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #39 of 336
Thanks, only thing I'm a little confused about but it doesn't matter is I ordered from Woo and I noticed when I ordered a reference to "next batch shipping in 3 weeks". So I'm assuming that ordering secures you one from that next batch. But not 100% sure that's what it means. If Black was actually in stock and I happen to receive it sooner all the better. I happened to look a while ago and all 4 colors now show as sold out so timing is everything as they say.
It means they will charge your card and when the next batch comes in ship it to you.

That's what happened to me and mine was ordered at the beginning of the month and arrived last Friday. So, about 3 weeks.

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #40 of 336
Thanks for the confirmation. In this day and age of Amazon prime and expectations of having anything you order delivered in a day or two I don't mind a bit waiting 3 or 4 weeks. The sense of anticipation will be nice, something to look forward to!

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #41 of 336
I got my tube mini today. There’s plenty of juice to drive the Diana V2s. I haven’t tried any other headphones yet.

I’m not sure how Woo managed to drive a pencil tube using 30V plate voltage from a 5v usb.

I’m impressed.

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #42 of 336
I got my tube mini today. There’s plenty of juice to drive the Diana V2s. I haven’t tried any other headphones yet.

I’m not sure how Woo managed to drive a pencil tube using 30V plate voltage from a 5v usb.

I’m impressed
Any initial sound impressions to share, or would you rather wait for a full burn in?

Aug 29, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #43 of 336
Any initial sound impressions to share, or would you rather wait for a full burn in?
So far used it with Diana V2, DCA Stealth, and Sony IER Z1R.

This not an IEM dongle. The Z1R are considered fairly hard to drive IEMs. Even at 24/100, the tube mini is loud. No hiss or distortion, but you are limited to the lower 30% of the volume range. The Z1R were just a little too mid bass heavy. If you are listening to overly bright 80s pop, you're in for a treat. Otherwise, there is just too much midbass. In the WA8, I could correct this by switching to 2 tube mode. Otherwise the soundstage width and depth were holographic. Timbre and tonality of voices in particular were spot on. Treble was present and clear. Not splashy or veiled.

The DCA were an unexpected delight. The mini controlled the sub bass better than the WA8. Plenty of headroom. I was listening at about 75/100. Soundtage was holographic, timbre and tonality was spot on, and treble was present but not splashy. The mids were beautiful. Again, I noticed toward a mid bass heaviness. It wasn't bad, but could be too much for those who like lean bass. Maybe the bass reaponse could be considered a bit loose.

Diana V2 worked well. Plenty of headroom. See DCA above. The Diana has more mid and upper bass presence than DCA naturally. The tube mini was just on the edge of bloomy. Vocals were amazing. Very natural timbre and tonality.

Overall, Woo did a great job creating their "house sound" in dongle form. In some ways it is better than the WA8 (better sub bass control with DCA Stealth, more headroom) but it's mostly a more portable way to power full size cans. I will try the Utpoias and DCA Aeon 2 noires later.

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #44 of 336
So far used it with Diana V2, DCA Stealth, and Sony IER Z1R.

This not an IEM dongle. The Z1R are considered fairly hard to drive IEMs. Even at 24/100, the tube mini is loud. No hiss or distortion, but you are limited to the lower 30% of the volume range. The Z1R were just a little too mid bass heavy. If you are listening to overly bright 80s pop, you're in for a treat. Otherwise, there is just too much midbass. In the WA8, I could correct this by switching to 2 tube mode. Otherwise the soundstage width and depth were holographic. Timbre and tonality of voices in particular were spot on. Treble was present and clear. Not splashy or veiled.

The DCA were an unexpected delight. The mini controlled the sub bass better than the WA8. Plenty of headroom. I was listening at about 75/100. Soundtage was holographic, timbre and tonality was spot on, and treble was present but not splashy. The mids were beautiful. Again, I noticed toward a mid bass heaviness. It wasn't bad, but could be too much for those who like lean bass. Maybe the bass reaponse could be considered a bit loose.

Diana V2 worked well. Plenty of headroom. See DCA above. The Diana has more mid and upper bass presence than DCA naturally. The tube mini was just on the edge of bloomy. Vocals were amazing. Very natural timbre and tonality.

Overall, Woo did a great job creating their "house sound" in dongle form. In some ways it is better than the WA8 (better sub bass control with DCA Stealth, more headroom) but it's mostly a more portable way to power full size cans. I will try the Utpoias and DCA Aeon 2 noires later.
That's very promising, thanks for those impressions.

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #45 of 336
I think my Nutopias need this, perfect for an easy trasportable travel set up. The Wa8 is just too much of a brick for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back