Woo Audio 5 has arrived! Review added 3-11
Mar 24, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #61 of 79
I have a Woo5 LE. I've tried the Valve Art 274B and the Sophia 274B solid plate.

I like the VA a great deal. It seems to have an affinity to the 300B. The VA is not big bucks so give it a try.
I also like the new WE 300b more then the Sophia.

WE will be coming out with a new 274B soon, but it's $500 per tube!!!!!

Has anyone used a Ultrasone Edition 9 with the Woo5??

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #62 of 79
Welcome to the Forum PDW, and thanks for your comments on the tubes. I have heard a lot of phones on the WA5 now, but I have not heard the Ed9's.

Cheers,

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #63 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raylinds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided I needed to spend a lot more time with the Sophia Set Princess Mesh Plate 300B tubes before deciding in favor of the WEs, so I listened to them over the weekend. With only about 25 hours on them, they have already begun to improve. I read a recent review that said; "They have an openness, a clarity and sweetness (with no euphonic coloration) that is quite amazing."

That is a description I have seen several times- openness and clarity, and I think it is very accurate. The amount of detail is amazing. These tubes are really growing on me. The first time I would compare them, I would listen to a song, switch tubes, and listen again. I think it would be better to spend much more time with each tube, and let the Sophias burn in (the WEs already have 200 hours on them).

I'll keep you posted.

I just put in a new pair of Sophia Princess carbon plate to displace my WE300Bs. Well, that was some 7 hours ago. Initially listening (through a pair of HD650 recabled in Jena Labs Ultrawire) does show close resembles to the WE. However, it must be said this is far from conclusive and I hope to give it some 150 - 200 hours before making the comparison again.

Still using a pair of Russia 5U4G at this moment. After the Sophia mature, will pop in my metal base GZ34 to see how the combo sounds.

F. Lo

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #65 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by PDW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Woo5 LE. I've tried the Valve Art 274B and the Sophia 274B solid plate.

I like the VA a great deal. It seems to have an affinity to the 300B. The VA is not big bucks so give it a try.
I also like the new WE 300b more then the Sophia.

WE will be coming out with a new 274B soon, but it's $500 per tube!!!!!

Has anyone used a Ultrasone Edition 9 with the Woo5??

Did you like the VA 274Bs better than the Sophias? That would be great as they ar 1/10th the price!

Do you know if there are any issues using a 274B in the WA5? I know they switch on quicker and don't like to go into a cap over 10mfd, but I don't know the circuit for the WA5. It shouldn't hurt the amp, but the tube life would be shorter.

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #66 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raylinds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you like the VA 274Bs better than the Sophias? That would be great as they ar 1/10th the price!

Do you know if there are any issues using a 274B in the WA5? I know they switch on quicker and don't like to go into a cap over 10mfd, but I don't know the circuit for the WA5. It shouldn't hurt the amp, but the tube life would be shorter.

Have checked with Jack Woo who confirmed 274B can be used in the WA5.

Regarding the Sophia tubes, I would suggest go for the "Princess" series. The "standard" or "non-Princess" is, apparently, a re-labelled Full Music tube, as some said. The Princess are Sophia's own design.

The WA5 has a soft start circuit so that may / should override the quick start on a 274B ?

I have ordered a matched pair, but it is currently out of stock and can only be shipped in 10 days time.

F. Lo

Mar 27, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #67 of 79
Quote:

I have ordered a matched pair

rigid or mesh?

Mar 28, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #68 of 79
Both the Sophia and Valve Art are good tubes. I have the rigid plate princess.
There are different values between the rigid and mesh. They have a very different presentation then the other rectifiers I've used. You can hear front to back very well and you seem to be able to hear more into the harmony of cords, not just the highest and lowest sounds.
On the down side the bass is not as good as a 5AR4. The high end is very clean but can be bright. If I had to go with one I would pick the VA.

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #70 of 79
Just note that 6moons posted the final reviews on Woo Audio 5.

It posted a preview earlier and now they add page 4 about auditioning.

Great pics, and some interesting information about Woo Audio inner operations, good description of how the K1000 sounds, but very little on the "normal" dynamic cans, and none about tube rolling.

Still a good read, though.

6moons audio reviews: Woo Audio Model 5

F. Lo

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #71 of 79
Thanks for the updated review link... The WA5 responds so well to tube rolling, that it would be a shame if it goes up head to head with just stock tubes.

Come on 274B's :)

Cheers,

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #72 of 79
I got my Valve Art 274Bs this weekend and Wow! are they an improvement over the Mullard GZ34s. Much more body in the mids, and the bass is much stronger and tighter. It is amazing, and they cost me $10 each!

I would love to try the WEs when they come out, but at $500 apiece, they would have to be a lot better.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #74 of 79
I would think so misucmind. But the 274B are really made for a match with the 300B's, so It may not be the best match with the wa6's drive tubes.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back