Woo Audio 5 has arrived! Review added 3-11
Mar 5, 2008 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

Raylinds

Head-Fier
On Monday, I finally got delivery of the Woo Audio 5 (full mods) that I had purchased used. I have been listening to it a lot since then, but am not ready to post detailed impressions yet- all I can say is WOW! I purchased K1000s to go with it, but so far most of my listening has been on speakers (my gf wanted to check it out, too). I was pleased to find that my Paradigm Millenia 300 speakers that I use in my home theater setup are rated at 94 dB- enough to be well driven by this little beast. It plays at a very decent volume with the knob in the 10-11 o'clock position! I can't wait to get some quality time on the K1ks.

My rack system just arrived today, so I will get it setup proper- right now the components are scattered and everything is going through really long cheap cables, which is why I am not getting into details yet. I have been playing around with tube rolling, too.

I look forward to providing a detailed review with the K1ks soon and lots of pics of the whole set-up (including the innards with all the mods).

'til then....

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 79
Wow I thought that would have come sooner. I remember your first post and bam you came in with a bang. Straight to the top so to speak. Next thing your going to tell us you got a HE90 and a R10 in as you new cans.
biggrin.gif

Have fun and hope you enjoy it.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 79
Looking forward to your review. I have been thinking about one for a while I am just not ready go for it just yet.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I thought that would have come sooner. I remember your first post and bam you came in with a bang. Straight to the top so to speak. Next thing your going to tell us you got a HE90 and a R10 in as you new cans.
biggrin.gif

Have fun and hope you enjoy it.

Yeah, there were some delays in shipping beyond the control of the seller, who is a really good guy. I don't think you'll be seeing me getting any ultra-expensive cans soon, but at some point I will be getting some closed cans to go with the K1000s. BTW you get the awards for best avatar and signature quote.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Brindley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hows it breaking in - improvements with prolonged use? And post those pix!
Lee

It's used, but I don't know how many hours on it- I should ask the seller. Having the V-Caps and Blackgates, etc. it probably requires about 800 hours. Unless the seller left it to burn in constantly for a extended period, I doubt it has that many hours. The sound has improved greatly since I got it, but I have been tweaking a lot with tube rolling, cables, iso platforms, etc. Last night I was completely blown away by what I was listening to, so I think I'm getting there.

This weekend my priority is to post a lot of pics and go into great detail about tweaking I have done and the results, along with an in-depth review of the amp and the K1000s. I bought Sophia Princess Mesh plate 300Bs and reissue Western Electrics and did a shoot out, which I will also detail this weekend. Which one won? I'll keep you in suspense for now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raylinds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This weekend my priority is to post a lot of pics and go into great detail about tweaking I have done and the results, along with an in-depth review of the amp and the K1000s. I bought Sophia Princess Mesh plate 300Bs and reissue Western Electrics and did a shoot out, which I will also detail this weekend. Which one won? I'll keep you in suspense for now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Breath very baited!

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 79
I have read of 2000 hours on the V-caps. That's right, 2000 hours for final or near final settling of the cap. Maybe they should be burned in in the garage with a power cord on 440volts running to ground for that max current. :^)

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 79
Congratulations with what looks like a really nice 300B amplifier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Waiting for your first impressions...

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 79
I just order a pair of Sophia Princess mesh plate, and a pair of Sophia Princess carbon plate. With the re-issue WE300B and the well regarded FM 300B/c (carbon plate) I think this would be interesting.... but will take a long time to see how they really differentiate from each other.

With the combinations of different 5U4G / GZ34 / 274B the mix and match will be real fun things to do with the WA5, not to mentioned the huge choice of 6SN7,....

And the cans.. of course.

Basically, that would mean limitless combination to play with the WA5, as long as one be patient enough to spend the time.

I figure that the WA5 will still be fun to own beyond my retirement
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read of 2000 hours on the V-caps. That's right, 2000 hours for final or near final settling of the cap. Maybe they should be burned in in the garage with a power cord on 440volts running to ground for that max current. :^)

no wonder that I noticed that my Woo4 settled after about 2 months - I had it on 20-22/7 !!!!!!!

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 79
As promised here's photos of the new arrival:
[
RackCU2.jpg

RackCU.jpg

Here is the entire rack:
Rack.jpg

Here is my source- VPI Industries Aries 3 Turntable:
Aries.jpg

Here is the phono stage- it has 10 tubes (8 6992s and 2 6sn7s)!
BAT.jpg

My entire A/V setup:
LR.jpg

The power conditioners, CD players and Audio Aero Prima SE DAC:
LR2.jpg

I recommend sauteeing the WA5 for 10 minutes at a medium temerature. Seriously, though, I am getting ready to open her up to get some pictures of her vital organs:
WA5.jpg

Who says beauty is only skin deep? Do I see Jensens? Do I see Blackgates? Do I see V-CAPS!!!!!!????
Guts.jpg

I must look closer...
Guts2.jpg

Guts3.jpg

Guts4.jpg

Coming soon: A detailed review and results of the Western Electric/Sophia Princess Mash Plate shootout.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 79
Wow, that's a beauty.
I have a Woo amp incoming very soon too, if it looks as good as yours, I'll be happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back