Woo Audio 5 has arrived! Review added 3-11
Mar 13, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #46 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raylinds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true, the WA5 has a dedicated 4 prong XLR jack for the K1ks. Of course, you can always attach to the speaker terminals.

Actually I have talked to Jack on this point and his opinion is to use the XLR jack for the K1000 - for much better impedance matching.

And indeed the K1000 sound heavenly with the WA5, especially when you recabled it with a better aftermarket cable.

F. Lo

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #47 of 79
My point was that it is not a comparison. The GS1000's don't need anything special to drive them like the K1000's do. The Grados are 32 ohms.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #48 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS1000's don't need anything special to drive them like the K1000's do. The Grados are 32 ohms.

While many amps can drive the GS1000, no many can let it really shine - at least for me during the 6 months ownership of my first GS1000 last year. For me, the GS1000 is quite amp specific.

Since my WA5, I am tempted to give the GS1000 a second try, and hopefully will be able to do that in a months time.

F. Lo

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #49 of 79
Oh...Please let us know if it is indeed a winning combination.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #50 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raylinds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Next I want to spend a little more time back with the Sophias- I really didn’t spend too much time with them, and I have tweaked the system a little more since then. I also need to do an in-depth review with the K1000s (this is, after all, a headphone forum!). More to come soon...

My Sophias arrived yesterday. Two premium matched pairs in ceramic base - one pair with mesh plates and the other carbon plates.

The vendor told me that I should give them 100 hours of play time before I draw my conclusion. So, you want to take this account
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #52 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by twoears&oneheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I look forward to a comprehensive review by fkclo ...

please furnish the community with a GS1000 + WA5 tube amp review ....

your analysis is highly anticipated !!!!

Agree, that would have been very nice!.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #53 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Sophias arrived yesterday. Two premium matched pairs in ceramic base - one pair with mesh plates and the other carbon plates.

The vendor told me that I should give them 100 hours of play time before I draw my conclusion. So, you want to take this account
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

I have been thinking that the problem may be that they have not been burned in yet, and the WEs were (about 200 hours), so the comparison may not be fair. I will definitely revisit the Sophias and try burning them in. Thanks for the info!

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #54 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by twoears&oneheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I look forward to a comprehensive review by fkclo ...

please furnish the community with a GS1000 + WA5 tube amp review ....

your analysis is highly anticipated !!!!

Will do !

The GS-1000 will be on its way to Alex of Apuresound, where it will be recabled with V3 cable (now with cotton insulation) with super nylon sleeving, plus Furutech plug, which I understand from Alex's own experience is a winning formula for the GS1000.

When the GS-1000 is done with Alex it will be on its way to me which hopefully be early enough for Easter, so that I can burn it in (the GS-1000 is relatively new) together with my different sets of 300Bs (WE 300B, Sophia Princess 300B Mesh, Sophia Princess 300B Carbon, and Full Music 300B Carbon). I estimate this will take a while ( 300 - 400 hours ?) and when it is time I will come back and share my observation. And if time permits, will post interim impressions as well.

Now, counting down
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #55 of 79
the best i've heard the GS1000 was from a WA4, and even then i only thought they were okay, but the WA5 if it can take them to an even higher level of performance holds promise.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #56 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the best i've heard the GS1000 was from a WA4, and even then i only thought they were okay, but the WA5 if it can take them to an even higher level of performance holds promise.

When my re-cabled GS1000 is here, I plan to put it through my RPX-100, HP-4, and my WA5 to see how it performs.

FWIW, Alex cable surgery for the GS1000 will do two things (move the mids a bit forward, and tighten the bass, which can be bloated at times based on my past experience). This will make taming the GS1000 easier - I hope
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #57 of 79
Thanks for the review. I think that I might have to very seriously look into purchasing the WA5 now. I have a WA3+ and I think that it is awesome so this seems like a major step up.

I'll have to wait to hear your further reviews about the tubes to see what direction I go with those.

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #58 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, Alex cable surgery for the GS1000 will do two things (move the mids a bit forward, and tighten the bass, which can be bloated at times based on my past experience).

that seems about perfect.

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #59 of 79
I decided I needed to spend a lot more time with the Sophia Set Princess Mesh Plate 300B tubes before deciding in favor of the WEs, so I listened to them over the weekend. With only about 25 hours on them, they have already begun to improve. I read a recent review that said; "They have an openness, a clarity and sweetness (with no euphonic coloration) that is quite amazing."

That is a description I have seen several times- openness and clarity, and I think it is very accurate. The amount of detail is amazing. These tubes are really growing on me. The first time I would compare them, I would listen to a song, switch tubes, and listen again. I think it would be better to spend much more time with each tube, and let the Sophias burn in (the WEs already have 200 hours on them).

I'll keep you posted.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #60 of 79
Thanks for the update on the Sophia. I do have an interest in them as possible future tube.

I have also found that letting a tube get an hour or so before really listening (after a swap) helps out too. Have to let it come alive again.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back