Woo Audio 234 MONO monoblock amplifier official release
Sep 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #91 of 122

Finally had a chance to "pull one out"

Congrats VZ! Clearly we are all waiting for more pics and some detailed impressions!

popcorn.gif

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #93 of 122
I doubt that lower-end Woo gear is going away anytime soon. Just look at the sales of the WA7.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #94 of 122
Of course you can buy better performance for the money, that's not the point. This is the kind of product you buy if you don't really care for audio performance, instead you care about bragging rights.

It's design is a little chinese for this market and the tube swapping is not really needed either, I don't see the potential customer obsessing about tubes, it's more about what's the most expensive tube you have? - give me that one.

And I don't really see it as a hit with stuffy older hi-eff speaker aficionados, it's more for the new money customer, the one that comes from the digital age and spends his life tethered to his smartphone so he's already using headphones.

Now all that's needed is an iphone 5s gold edition for 25k and Sennheiser launching a limited 'Steve Jobs' edition HD800 for 5k.
smily_headphones1.gif

On a more serious note, I predict price increases and the cheaper products disappearing from the Woo Audio range, especially if this amplifier sells.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel...

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #95 of 122

Of course you can buy better performance for the money, that's not the point. This is the kind of product you buy if you don't really care for audio performance, instead you care about bragging rights.

It's design is a little chinese for this market and the tube swapping is not really needed either, I don't see the potential customer obsessing about tubes, it's more about what's the most expensive tube you have? - give me that one.

And I don't really see it as a hit with stuffy older hi-eff speaker aficionados, it's more for the new money customer, the one that comes from the digital age and spends his life tethered to his smartphone so he's already using headphones.

Now all that's needed is an iphone 5s gold edition for 25k and Sennheiser launching a limited 'Steve Jobs' edition HD800 for 5k.
smily_headphones1.gif

On a more serious note, I predict price increases and the cheaper products disappearing from the Woo Audio range, especially if this amplifier sells.

Jealousy is not pretty....

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #96 of 122
Flagship products are supposed to be a little over the top and impractical. It's not a question of "what's the best sound we can deliver for the money?" It's more like "what's the most uncompromising way we can express our vision of what a product can do?" Kind of like a concept car. 

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #97 of 122

smily_headphones1.gif

Jealousy is not pretty....

"It's design is a little chinese"  Is that like being a little pregnant. ***. Is it a bit too 'foreign' for your taste?

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #98 of 122
If there are no "Higher" design aspirations then there are few trickle down benefits for the primary products to receive. I applaud Woo for going for the all out design.

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #100 of 122
Fantastic!...I love the Mini Maggies as a speaker setup.

beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #101 of 122
Oct 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #102 of 122
A while back I emailed Woo about building a pair for me without the volume control and input switching so I could use a separate pre-amp.  They said they could easily.  I am really interested in hearing them.  I guess I need to go and find out now.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #105 of 122
  I have a hard time believing there are enough people involved in the high end audio world for a 10 or 15 grand amp like this to be a meaningful product in sales. Am I crazy?

You'd be surprised how many wealthy people there are out there who educate themselves on audio just to know that they have the "best of the best". Many high-end audiophile brands dual-market to true audiophiles and to the absolute luxury crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back