Woo 3+: Adventures in Tuberolling (update page 6)
Nov 14, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #61 of 90
Only one pair, sorry
frown.gif

BTW, what are "dimple disks"? Is that the same as "pinched waist"?

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #63 of 90
i just got my woo 3+ due to the advice of golden monkey and others, and i love it! i'm a bit drained on money atm, so I'm looking for something cheap to upgrade my tubes to. this is my first amp, and my cans are Beyer 880's, any suggestions? I'd like to get an idea of the differences between musical/warm tubes vs. the neutral/detailed tubes. i like what skylab is saying about the 6DJ8 JAN Sylvania tubes, any other suggestions? what (fairly cheap) power tube should i match with the 6DJ8's?

also, my preamp tubes turn off at the slightest movement in their sockets. i have to position them just right for them to work, is this normal?

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #64 of 90
Assuming the Woo3 still comes with the GE 6AS7GA as the "stock" power tube, this is a decent tube. I think the RCA grey-plate 6AS7G sounds better though, and these can usually be had for $10 or less.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #65 of 90
541-2.jpg

If you look at the disks at the top, those are the getters...you'll see the dimples - they are just basically "dotty",lol. I've only ever seen these on Mullards and Amperex. "Pinched waist" refers to tubes like this:

Amperex+Philips+6922+Pinched+Waist+D-Getter+USN+Label+-+USA.jpg

Hard to see in the pic, but you can tell that the glass curves in slightly. This is to make the tube less microphonic.

Spartan, glad you are liking your Woo! It's a fantastic amp, isn't it? What were you using previously? As for the preamp tube shutoff problem - does it happen to both tubes, or only one? If you swap sockets, does the problem move as well (if so, could be a bad tube)? I'd contact Jack and ask him about it - it could be a bad tube, or a bad solder joint, or a few other things.

As for different flavors of tubes, as a generality, you'll find that Amperex and Philips will tend towards more musicality and midrange warmth, Mullard/Brimar and other British tubes will have a warmer overall signature and tonality, and German tubes like Telefunken and Siemens to be more neutral, airy and detailed.

There are other options available, as those tend to be all higher demand tubes, but NOS Teslas from Czechoslovakia and Tungsram (not the new production ones!) from Hungary are good bets, and very affordable. The Tungsrams are copies of the Mullard tubes, and they have very high testing and production values, so they are worthy replacements. The Teslas are copies of Siemens ones, and a lot of them were made for military application, so again, tight tolerances and durability.

Also don't discount late production NOS tubes from the big names - although the vintage 50's-60's are more sought after, command high premiums, and are "generally" assumed to sound the best, the tubes made in the 70's are nothing to scoff at. They still sound fantastic, and as long as you buy them tested and matched, you've got nothing to worry about.

As for a decent and affordable power tube replacement, I'd defer to Skylab on that, or Jamato...the RCA grey plates are said to be great values, and I'd also look for 6080's - these are plentiful and very affordable. They are a tougher version of the 6AS7G, but don't have the coke bottle appearance (they look like your stock Woo tube). There are 6080, 6080WA, 6080WB, and 6080WC variants, all more or less the same. Not the greatest sounding tube (not BAD either), a little more bass oomph, but not as detailed as the stock tube, and lacking a little in overall dynamics, but when you can get them for $5-$15 each, you can afford to expirament and try some different flavors. You're going to get the most bang for your buck out of preamp tube choices though - get set there, then decide if you even NEED a different power tube...you may be perfectly happy with the stock one.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #66 of 90
thanks for the advice! this is actually my first amp. I've had my headphones for a couple years now. At first I tried making my own amp (the pimeta or something), and gave up (mostly it was that i couldn't get a good soldering gun). i've taken time to settle on the best amp, I want to get everything right the first time.

yes, this happens to both preamps in both sockets, though its much worse in the left one. they don't seem to stick in like the power tube, which fits in snug, and won't budge if I touch it. When i pull out either preamp, i have to move the right one around for about 10 seconds before it turns on, and the left one about 2 minutes before it produces sound. I'll post a youtube video of me doing that.

However, if i get the preamps in the right position and never touch them again, everything is perfect. Yes, the 6AS7GA is the power tube i got.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #67 of 90
The preamp tubes do not fit as tightly as the output tube which is normal. Although they shouldn't be loose. You probably need to remove the oxidation from the tube pins. You can use a pencil eraser to clean the pins. Then use 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean off any residue.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #68 of 90
Hm...something's not right then. Although you DO know that when you first power it on, it takes a little while for the tubes to warm up and begin producing sound, right? I usually leave mine on for about 15 mins or so before I start listening to music, but it doesn't sound it's best for about an hour or so. The tubes need to warm up and reach a state where they've settled down (you may hear popping or ringing while they are getting there, and they may sound a bit flat or lifeless for a little while), but if I just turn it on, I won't hear anything at all for about 15-30 seconds or so.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #69 of 90
YouTube - Woo3+ preamp tube problem

That is a video of me trying to fix the preamps. I know they take a while to power up. If they're in right, it takes maybe 10 seconds for sound to begin coming out.

At some points, even bumping the desk they amp is on is enough to jostle the tubes, and make some nasty popping noises. Once I saw a white flash inside the tube as that happened, and I thought I blew it out or something, but it seems fine.

I'll trying cleaning them and see what happens.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #70 of 90
Your amp is defective. RMA ASAP. I hope mine does not have any issues, typically WooAudio has extremely good build quality all around. Now I am a bit worried. Jack said mine should arrive early in December.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #71 of 90
Spartan's issue could have been caused during shipping. I'd STOP using it at this time and contact Jack immediately...looks to be a problem with the tube sockets (and mine don't move around nearly so easily...), and there are some serious voltages kicking around in that little box...you could short something, electrocute yourself, etc. Be careful!

As for typical build quality - I wouldn't worry about it too much, 003. Jack's build and service is outstanding. This is most likely an isolated issue.

And...HELL yeah! Zep III!

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #72 of 90
Golden Monkey,

Following your recommendations, I am buying Tungsol 5998 and 7236. I've not found Siemens 7308 but I've found Westinghouse or Sylvania 7308 for preamping. What do you think on these tubes?

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #73 of 90
I've not tried those ones myself, but the 7308 in general is an excellent tube...very quiet, low (as in none) harmonics, and closely matched sections. If you can get those at reasonable prices, I'd say give them a shot. The Siemens ones are quite expensive, even for later vintage tubes (late 70's, etc.).

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #75 of 90
Thank you guys for all your advices. Now I am finally happy with my WooAudio 3 after some tuberolling. I upgraded my WA3 with Blackgates output caps before, but this did not solve bass deficiency. Then I tried Tungsol 7236 and ... BADA-BOOM! Bass hits hard and deep, so I listen on lower and safer volumes. I like this but I like Tungsol 5998 even more, which has more balanced sound. 7236 seems to be more realistic and detailed, while 5998 are so lush, romantic and coherent (musical?). 5998 provides so rare, but desirable effect for me - when I am just listening with pleasure, not analyzing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back