Won't ship to Australia?
May 24, 2008 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

sashmo

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I've just recently joined head-fi and much as I didn't want it, my 1st post has to be a whinge session. I'm looking for a reasonable pair of phones and after reading many posts and wishing to get the best deal, as well as supporting a sponsor, I went to Todd the Vinyl Junkie for a pair of Grado SR-60's.
I was expecting delivery in the next few days but I just got an email saying
"so sorry but we can't export Grado from the U.S."
This is after payment had been made through paypal and after TTVJ had advertised shipping prices to Australia.
confused.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
This should be me!
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't even get the headphone smilie AARGH

So I'm still looking for a reasonable pair of phones.
Anyone got a good pair FS and willing to ship? The prices here in Aus are exorbitant.
Sorry for the rant but I am really p***** off ATM

May 24, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 82
Headroom can't export Grados outside of the US either. I'm pretty sure that directive comes from Grado themselves, protecting local distributors or something like that.

May 24, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 82
Your best bet is getting someone locally that can ship you the hepadhones, after getting them here, or get the Alessandro's....

Grado has a very strict (and IMO absurd) policy regarding the dealers and prices, they want in some way the people outside the US to "suffer for that fact", and then get their dealers abroad to kill them with the local prices, that are always excessively higher...Not sure what is logic behind that, but they have been there for a few decades so they should know what to do...

May 24, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 82
May 24, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 82
or you can get the MS-1's direct from Alessandro Alessandro High-End Products or maybe try ebay/audiogon/the for Sale Boards for Grados.

May 24, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or you can get the MS-1's direct from Alessandro Alessandro High-End Products or maybe try ebay/audiogon/the for Sale Boards for Grados.

I would recommend this, you can get them pretty cheap now anyway with strong Aussie dollar - I think its free shipping aswell so all and all it comes up to about 110.

I'm sure you'll be able to get the grado sound with these

May 24, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 82
Thankyou all,
well I've calmed down a bit now and taken your advice.
Actually when I first started the search I had settled on the Alessandro MS1 but navigating through the site kept blocking me so that's when I went to the Grado's.
Anyway I have just this minute (successfully?) committed to the MS1 but I will be holding my breath until they arrive. I need another TTVJ scenario like I need a hole in the head!
Thanksalot for the inputs.
smily_headphones1.gif
Still can't get the Big Headphones Smilie

May 24, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 82
Grado put restrictions on their US distributors, probably to protect their worldwide dealers. That might not have been an issue if the worldwide dealers used fair pricing.

Lets look at couple of examples.
Grado GS1000 -> US $995 vs. Norway $2500 (NOK 12750)
Grado RS1 -> US $695 vs. Norway $1800 (NOK 8995)

The norwegian price include 25% VAT, but still....
2 1/2 time the price. Its just hilarious!
frown.gif

May 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 82
I can just presume that Grado, as well as many other U.S. companies, know that they are within the law imposing restrictions like this. It seems that Aus, as well as the E.U., and probably other regions do suffer as a result of this "policy"
Maybe this policy will come back and bite them on the bum one day!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 1/2 time the price. Its just hilarious!
frown.gif

As much as I liked the Grado sound, sadly it seems that its not worth getting them if you live outside USA. Because if you get them on ebay there is no warranty, and if you buy them locally in Australia you get charged through the roof.

May 24, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 82
Well, Headroom actually won't ship anything to Singapore, not only Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif
My view is that if they don't like my dough for whatever reason, so be it. I order my stuffs from B&H.

May 24, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets look at couple of examples.
Grado GS1000 -> US $995 vs. Norway $2500 (NOK 12750)
Grado RS1 -> US $695 vs. Norway $1800 (NOK 8995)

wow. never knew it was so expensive outside the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back