Wonderful Quotes
Dec 12, 2001 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

shivohum

Keeper of the Quotes
Does anyone want to share with the group one or two favorite quotes? They should either be profound, witty, or both. I say one or two because we don't want a long list--just the very best. And the more obscure, the better.

Let me start. This is similar to morphsci's signature, but I think it's better phrased (and it's in Latin!):

"Omnia mutantur; nihil interit." - "Everything changes, but nothing is lost."

Dec 12, 2001 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 17
check out my signature. I like that one personally
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2001 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 17
"Chaos is the order of the day."

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 17
Ok, here's my two:

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'"
Isaac Asimov
(At the rate i say this, I'm going to make so many new discoverys...)

The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- Irving Caesar

Dec 13, 2001 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 17
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
--Thomas Jefferson

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington

Dec 13, 2001 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 17
Alright, I know I know, here comes Stuart with another ******* Shostakovich reference. I just like this quote, and it is the only one I can really remember, as I don't have a head for quotes...paraphrases yes, quotes no.
It is about Debussy, which is fun.
"Debussy and La Mer ? A piece of candy in one's mouth -- nothing more."
I have always found this sweeping dismissal very funny. Perhaps because it is not far from the truth, even if you do like Debussy.
I also love pretty much any thing that has ever come off the pencil (2B only) of Nabokov. The one in my signature is quite a beauty, but I should probably change it for the sake of variety.

Dec 13, 2001 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 17
Pecavisse means "I have sinned." When a British general captured an Indian city by the name of Sind, that was the entire message he sent to his commander.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another favorite quote of mine is in my signature.

Dec 13, 2001 at 12:43 PM Post #12 of 17
"Marriage is more than a word -- it's a sentence"

- Not sure who, but my someone wrote it in a card I received for my wedding.

Dec 13, 2001 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 17
Only two?

Ok here goes.

"You kill one person it's a tragedy, you kill ten thousand people it a statistic."
- Joesph Stalin

"Nothing defines humans better than their willingness to do irrational things in the pursuit of phenominally unlikely payoffs. This is the principle behind lotteries, dating, and religion."
- Scott Adams

Users who are viewing this thread

Back