Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Aug 1, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #616 of 947
so I was thinking that the HTC Rezound should be good enough.. it has beats audio...and beats audio enhancement works with Poweramp even now...   then I A-B'ed it to my Galaxy S (fascinate).

there is no comparison.  Selling the Rezound on CL now -_-   it's a crying shame the US galaxy s3 doesn't have the wolfson.....  WHYYYYY SAMSUNG?!

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #617 of 947
Code:
 #define [url=http://www.kneuro.net/cgi-bin/lxr/http/ident?a=mips;i=ETIME]ETIME[/url] 62 [b][i]/* Timer expired */[/i][/b]
http://www.kneuro.net/cgi-bin/lxr/http/source/include/asm-arm/errno.h?a=mips#L67
http://www-numi.fnal.gov/offline_software/srt_public_context/WebDocs/Errors/unix_system_errors.html

Code:
[size=10pt][font=Cousine] ETIME [size=10pt]No response packet received within the prescribed [/size][size=10pt]bus turn-around time.[/size][/font][/size]
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/error-codes.txt#110

Universal Serial Bus Specification Revision 2.
"Turn-around Time: The time a device needs to wait to begin transmitting a packet after a packet has been received to prevent collisions on the USB. This time is based on the
length and propagation delay characteristics of the cable and the location of the transmitting device in relation to other devices on the USB.

7.1.18.1 Low-/Full-Speed Bus Turn-around Time and Inter-packet Delay
Inter-packet delays are measured from the SE0-to-J transition at the end of the EOP to the J-to-K transition that starts the next packet.
A device must provide at least two bit times of inter-packet delay. The delay is measured at the responding device with a bit time defined in terms of the response. This provides adequate time for the device sending the EOP to drive J for one bit time and then turn off its output buffers.
The host must provide at least two bit times of J after the SE0 of an EOP and the start of a new packet (TIPD). If a function is expected to provide a response to a host transmission, the maximum inter-packet delay for a function or hub with a detachable (TRSPIPD1) cable is 6.5 bit times measured at the Series B receptacle. If the
device has a captive cable, the inter-packet delay (TRSPIPD2) must be less than 7.5 bit times as measured at the Series A plug. These timings apply to both full-speed and low-speed devices and the bit times are referenced to the data rate of the packet.
The maximum inter-packet delay for a host response is 7.5 bit times measured at the host’s port pins. There is no maximum inter-packet delay between packets in unrelated transactions.

8.7.2 Bus Turn-around Timing
Neither the device nor the host will send an indication that a received packet had an error. This absence of positive acknowledgement is considered to be the indication that there was an error. As a consequence of this method of error reporting, the host and USB function need to keep track of how much time has elapsed from when the transmitter completes sending a packet until it begins to receive a response packet. This time is referred to as the bus turn-around time. Devices and hosts require turn-around timers to measure this time.
For full-/low-speed transactions, the timer starts counting on the SE0-to-‘J’ transition of the EOP strobe and stops counting when the Idle-to-‘K’ SOP transition is detected. For high-speed transactions, the timer starts counting when the data lines return to the squelch level and stops counting when the data lines leave the squelch level.
The device bus turn-around time is defined by the worst case round trip delay plus the maximum device response delay (refer to Sections 7.1.18 and 7.1.19 for specific bus turn-around times). If a response is not received within this worst case timeout, then the transmitter considers that the packet transmission has failed.
Timeout is used and interpreted as a transaction error condition for many transfer types. If the host wishes to indicate an error condition for a transaction via a timeout, it must wait the full bus turn-around time before issuing the next token to ensure that all downstream devices have timed out."

I'm assuming this is the important info:

Code:
 <6>[ 18.785098] c0 usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 2 using s5p-ohci<6>[ 18.838900] c0 mif: link_pm_irq_handler: gpio [HWK] get [0]<6>[ 18.891467] c0 mif: link_pm_irq_handler: gpio [HWK] get [1]<6>[ 18.987146] c2 usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=08bb, idProduct=2707<6>[ 18.987187] c2 usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0<6>[ 18.987230] c2 usb 2-1: Product: USB Audio DAC <6>[ 18.987257] c2 usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Burr-Brown from TI <3>[ 19.007176] c0 3:0: cannot get min/max values for control 2 (id 3)<4>[ 19.054268] c0 generic-usb: probe of 0003:08BB:2707.0001 failed with error -62

but someone who knows more will have to say what a error -62 is.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #618 of 947
I'm assuming this is the important info:

Code:
<6>[ 18.785098] c0 usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 2 using s5p-ohci<6>[ 18.838900] c0 mif: link_pm_irq_handler: gpio [HWK] get [0]<6>[ 18.891467] c0 mif: link_pm_irq_handler: gpio [HWK] get [1]<6>[ 18.987146] c2 usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=08bb, idProduct=2707<6>[ 18.987187] c2 usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0<6>[ 18.987230] c2 usb 2-1: Product: USB Audio DAC <6>[ 18.987257] c2 usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Burr-Brown from TI <3>[ 19.007176] c0 3:0: cannot get min/max values for control 2 (id 3)<4>[ 19.054268] c0 generic-usb: probe of 0003:08BB:2707.0001 failed with error -62

but someone who knows more will have to say what a error -62 is.

Can anyone contribute a dmesg log for a US Galaxy S with the pico DAC/Amp? That's be über helpful...

Kojaku

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #619 of 947
Quote:
Here is a dmesg log from my international S3 with the Pico attached at boot. I'm currently running Siyah Kernel v1.4.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24975342/dmesg.txt

Could you re-use the stock kernel instead of the Siyah modded kernel  for the Pico tests? Siyah may modify some USB stuff.

Code:
 <6>[ 4.464178] c0 usb usb2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0001 <6>[ 4.464225] c0 usb usb2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1 <6>[ 4.464266] c0 usb usb2: Product: s5p OHCI <6>[ 4.464292] c0 usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 3.0.38-Siyah-s3-v1.4 ohci_hcd

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #620 of 947
so I was thinking that the HTC Rezound should be good enough.. it has beats audio...and beats audio enhancement works with Poweramp even now...   then I A-B'ed it to my Galaxy S (fascinate).

there is no comparison.  Selling the Rezound on CL now -_-   it's a crying shame the US galaxy s3 doesn't have the wolfson.....  WHYYYYY SAMSUNG?!

Uh...beats audio is a joke of an EQ tweak. I couldn't turn that crap off any faster when I got my Touchpad. It bloats and recesses all at once. Disgusting.

Kojaku

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #621 of 947
Quote:
Uh...beats audio is a joke of an EQ tweak. I couldn't turn that crap off any faster when I got my Touchpad. It bloats and recesses all at once. Disgusting.
Kojaku

Totally agreed. Had the One X (international) before and tried it out with the top of the line Beats headphones, truly horrible. Appetite for Destruction was unlistenable. Anything that ruins one of your top 5 "stuck on a desert island" albums must die a horrible death.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #622 of 947
Quote:

Quote:
Kojaku

Quote:

Totally agreed. Had the One X (international) before and tried it out with the top of the line Beats headphones, truly horrible. Appetite for Destruction was unlistenable. Anything that ruins one of your top 5 "stuck on a desert island" albums must die a horrible death.

I own the HTC Rezound.  While I agree with the above comments, I find it interesting on what we are missing out on with this device.  I feel like this post over on XDA sums it up pretty well:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26428926&postcount=20
Also, my Rezound is sometimes susceptible to interference from the radios (primarily WiFi I believe, but also 3G/4G).  One can hear strange chirps and static when large amounts of data are transferred, although I heard some Rezound units do not have the issue.  I actually noticed this on the Samsung Droid Charge.  I think only my old Charge actually did that, as I didn't really notice it on my other Charge.
Has anybody tested WiFi or 3G/4G interference on the headphone output of the Galaxy S III when transferring large amounts of data?  I am curious if they have done a good job isolating noise from the WiFi/Radio stacks.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #623 of 947
Quote:

I own the HTC Rezound.  While I agree with the above comments, I find it interesting on what we are missing out on with this device.  I feel like this post over on XDA sums it up pretty well:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26428926&postcount=20
Also, my Rezound is sometimes susceptible to interference from the radios (primarily WiFi I believe, but also 3G/4G).  One can hear strange chirps and static when large amounts of data are transferred, although I heard some Rezound units do not have the issue.  I actually noticed this on the Samsung Droid Charge.  I think only my old Charge actually did that, as I didn't really notice it on my other Charge.
Has anybody tested WiFi or 3G/4G interference on the headphone output of the Galaxy S III when transferring large amounts of data?  I am curious if they have done a good job isolating noise from the WiFi/Radio stacks.

Careful, certain people here don't believe anything except the make/model of the DAC have any impact on the output of SQ. 

I can't comment on this, I only listen via my E7, which sounds better to my ear than the inbuilt DAC implementation (rightly or wrongly, depending on your point of view).

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #624 of 947
Quote:

Careful, certain people here don't believe anything except the make/model of the DAC have any impact on the output of SQ. 

I can't comment on this, I only listen via my E7, which sounds better to my ear than the inbuilt DAC implementation (rightly or wrongly, depending on your point of view).

Don't worry, Voodoosound will come :wink:

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #625 of 947
Quote:

Don't worry, Voodoosound will come :wink:

I sincerely hope so, and look forward to this! It has been a long time since there was any news on this front though, and I become increasingly doubtful. Supercurio was projecting a working beta from as early as two weeks after release, at which point in time he said it was working on his S3 and a 'requirement' for his use, and yet here we are a long time down the line without any meaningful update from him. I do expect it will come in time, but at present hopes for Voodoo Sound are decidely speculative and without any basis in fact.

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #626 of 947
Quote:

akwok bought a new Pico DAC/Amp in April, and he says its just plug and play with his North American Galaxy S3.

So my pico DAC/Amp is serial number 1304. Is that recent enough to behave like akwok's?

Kojaku

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #628 of 947
DanBa, thanks for the explanation.

I will upload a dmesg log file from my international S3 later when i get a chance to load a stock kernel on my S3.

tapatalk'd

update:

here is the dmesg log for a stock kernel LF1

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24975342/dmesg2.log

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #629 of 947
Hey folks, I hope SuperCurio is doing fine with the Voodoo for S3... Please let us know if he requires a sponsor - we may as well throw in some incentive for extraordinary sound quality from the S3!!

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #630 of 947
Quote:
DanBa, thanks for the explanation.
I will upload a dmesg log file from my international S3 later when i get a chance to load a stock kernel on my S3.
tapatalk'd
update:
here is the dmesg log for a stock kernel LF1
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24975342/dmesg2.log

Let us know as soon as you get it done...I'm waiting with bated breath..

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back