Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Jul 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #557 of 947
Quote:

Ok
I had a galaxy note with a similar dockstation by samsung, the speaker line out was no good to my ears.
My question: Have this Samsung s3 audio dock a good line out
Based on my earlier experience with the Gnote I do not believe much in this accessory.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #561 of 947
Quote:

Has nobody done this comparison?,Are we sure that with the usb and external amp will have better sound? And if yes .... How mutch better?
This question becouse I think the usb output of a galaxy s3 or other phone is not a top quality option, I think we wil get better result using a line out (iphone or sony z walkman for ex) + amp when it is possible
But I really don't have experience I am gratefull to anyone post an opinion based on experience (I'm interested particularly on experience on s3 +dac + amp+ headphone  VS s3 + headphone ).
Thanks

A few of us here have used our S3s with and without external USB DAC/amp combos, I don't think anyone who has done so has found the headphone output to be superior. To my ears I hear a significant improvement even with my E7 (how much of that is the DAC and how much is the amping I'm not sure, at least one person here is 100% convinced the difference is entirely accounted for by the amp, when I have time I'll listen just with the headphone amp and compare). I have a HeadAmp Pico shipping to me soon and will update again after that. Will do some blind tests with a friend who is into his audio with his headphones when he comes up to stay next weekend (going to a Smashing Pumpkins gig), be interested to see what he thinks about headphone only Vs USB DAC/amp Vs just amp and comparing Pico and E7.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #562 of 947
Double post error.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #563 of 947
So have we confirmed that with a USB out of S3 into a portable like the JDS Labs ODAC we bypass the internal DAC of the phone completely?

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #564 of 947
Quote:
So have we confirmed that with a USB out of S3 into a portable like the JDS Labs ODAC we bypass the internal DAC of the phone completely?

Doesn't it have to be? All that is being sent out of the USB is 0's and 1's right?

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #565 of 947
Quote:

Doesn't it have to be? All that is being sent out of the USB is 0's and 1's right?

Not necessarily. Like in the iPhone you can use the line out ONLY to amp it, hence a product like CLAS to bypass the internal DAC of the iPhone which has to be patented. I'm not sure if people have been connecting their standalone DACs and getting the same results.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #566 of 947
I would just wait for the Voodoo thing. I have tons of headphone amps (SR71A, SR71B, Meier Stepdance), portable DACs (CLAS, Fostex HP-P1, iBasso DB2) as well as DAP (Hifiman 801) and a bunch of tweaks for them (15V mod for Stepdance, and a bunch of cables) but they just ended up collecting dust in my drawer. I would bring one or two of them (mostly CLAS and SR71A) to drive my LCD2 when I go on to vacations but other than that, they are a waste of money, at least to me. Sure, my ES5 or my UE18 Pro do sound a tad nicer with these things, but to me it is not worth the hassle.  

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #567 of 947
My problem with S3's headphone out is the extreme amount of hiss with my custom iems.

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #569 of 947
Quote:

It's a bunch of wires. They can carry digital or analog, but for the USB interface, typically digital.

I'm only connecting to the E7 via USB, I figure it can only accept 0's and 1's that way since I'm not using anything but USB cables (no dock connectors or other adapters like on the iPhone).

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #570 of 947
Even USB cables make a big difference. I have a Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable which represents a vast improvement over the stock USB cable, when used between the Macbook Pro and the Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC. I wonder whether any high end micro-USB ended cable will be on the market any time soon though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back