Wives and the hobby
Mar 30, 2019 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

IkSak

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm about to get married and I'd like to know about the experience of fellow forum members with wives and the hobby. Tips, experiences, recommendations, all of them are very welcome.

In case that it helps, one thing in favor of the hobby is that my bride loves music and I've given her a couple of iems and she's enjoyed them, but apparently is not a big fan of open backs (weight, amplification, etc seem cumbersome for her)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 35
My advice is to buy as many audio rigs as you can before get married.
With probability 1 almost everywhere, she will become mad whenever you talk about an idea getting something good. I pay family taxes lol.
These looks like the words of a guy who knows what he's talking about :o2smile:

Does anyone second this thought?

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 35
Good or bad, I have always had an honest relationship with my wife. I never hide anything but I do need to justify some purchases now and then. I offset my obsession with some of her wacky purchases. At this point, I need to sell stuff off to be able to purchase more. Again, I'm honest with her and she with me. That can only be the way to do it. Nothing good will come from sneaking about and hiding stuff. Ask yourself how you would feel if she did that to you?

Mar 31, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 35
Good or bad, I have always had an honest relationship with my wife. I never hide anything but I do need to justify some purchases now and then. I offset my obsession with some of her wacky purchases. At this point, I need to sell stuff off to be able to purchase more. Again, I'm honest with her and she with me. That can only be the way to do it. Nothing good will come from sneaking about and hiding stuff. Ask yourself how you would feel if she did that to you?
Very wise words! I do believe in 110% honesty as the basis for any human relationship, more so in a marriage. Good to know about the wacky purchases tip :beyersmile:. My bride has her weaknesses in this regard (shoes and watches from AliExpress)

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 35
Gonna be honest here, my main excuse for new gear is that I'll sell something else and it'll all balance out. I don't give specifics.

:)

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 35
I try and follow the rules sell before I buy. She is sort of happy with that. She does think it's a ridiculous expensive hobby though

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 35
Mar 31, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 35
She is absolutely correct
Hard to find an argument against that. So basically, we can sum up the wives and hobby principles like this:

1. Be absolutely honest about your hobby.
2. Try selling some stuff before buying.

Mar 31, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 35
Hard to find an argument against that. So basically, we can sum up the wives and hobby principles like this:

1. Be absolutely honest about your hobby.
2. Try selling some stuff before buying.
I would say that's correct. Don't lie to them though as they will find out

Mar 31, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 35
Congrats on the upcoming wedding ( life is good)
It all comes down to communication and honesty and begging and groveling, lol
My wife is great as long as we lay the mortgage and eat I can feed my addiction,
As for her phones, try the Sony WHX1000XM2, sound great, feels like you have sheep for ear cups as in really comfortable and it's Sony, so she can be a cool kid to. No Bose, no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back