With "these" attributes, how does Grado have a fanbase ?
Jul 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #61 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermonuclear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im waiting for my Sennheiser HD555 to arrive, fingers crossed they will arrive on thursday
wink_face.gif
. Out of sheer curiousity, I went to a headphones retailer and tried Grado SR60i cans to see if they matched the reviews in the mags and online. What I found was :

Damn those covers are abrasive on the ears.
The strap that sits on top of your head aint the last word in comfy.
The treble is a bit too forthright for my tastes
The cables coming from both sides can be a bit of a nuisance.
The styling isnt cutting edge either.

Not hard to guess that I didnt like them, but hey, I love the hd485`s that I currently use
k701smile.gif
. Grado must be doing something right though, the SR60i`s just didnt fit in with my personal tastes and I was never going to be a potential buyer anyway, how do the lovers of those cans get around the niggles I could not live with ?

Easy.

Cut a coconut in half, then fill up each side with a handful of mud from outside. Put speaker transducers in middle of the mud, and run your cables out from the bottom with little plugs which will become loose in a few weeks. Now strap all that to your head with a vise clamp, and that's sennheiser.
tongue.gif

j/k - but I find grados way more comfortable than senns. I even bought a beyer headband for my grados, but I actually found them more comfortable without it!

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #62 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to have more than 46 posts to trash a major manufacturer, and even then it wouldn't be cool. To voice a concern over what you believe is a design flaw, an oversite or something that is not to your taste is one thing, but to ridicule a company because they don't meet your inexperienced and uninformed expectations is unacceptable.

sorry if you think i was trashing, i assure you that i was not .

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #63 of 89
ive just read over the pages, guys if i could shut this thread down right away, id do it in a heartbeat . i didnt set out to cheese anybody off and i was just expressing some views after finally trying out a pair of grados for the 1st time.

im sorry if anybody thought i was trolling and hope you believe that never entered my mind for a second.

oh btw, the HD555`s arrived today !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #64 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermonuclear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive just read over the pages, guys if i could shut this thread down right away, id do it in a heartbeat . i didnt set out to cheese anybody off and i was just expressing some views after finally trying out a pair of grados for the 1st time.

im sorry if anybody thought i was trolling and hope you believe that never entered my mind for a second.

Good to hear. Your thread title was easy to read as such, but your post didn't come over that way, at least to me. The current mood of the forum is a bit on edge, due to a manufacturing oops with a limited edition Grado, and I think you just flicked it on the raw and got caught in the backlash.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #65 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjarrett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not trying to say that the title was amazing. I'm saying it was exaggerated and not worded correctly.

What I'm attempting to get across is that because the rest of the post was fine, people shouldn't be hung up over a title. His post was quality. The last paragraph sums up his feelings adaquately, and shows he isn't a troller.

Maybe I just assume too much from posters.

I'd like to think that I contributed more in my post than just being disappointed by the thread title. I clearly wasn't dwelling on it, much.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #67 of 89
They clamp on just fine, Aynjell. Personally, I've never experienced any of the problems the OP had. Mine aren't the most comfortable headphones I won, but they're comfortable enough to wear for a few hours, and they sound like nothing else.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #68 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They clamp on just fine, Aynjell. Personally, I've never experienced any of the problems the OP had. Mine aren't the most comfortable headphones I won, but they're comfortable enough to wear for a few hours, and they sound like nothing else.

What is your picture of?

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They (80'S) literally scraped the skin off my ear.
frown.gif

Literally, huh? If so, I'd say you have issues far more urgent than those being discussed here.

I'd seek medical attention immediately.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #70 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your picture of?

A fine jazz musician named McCoy Tyner wearing a set of Stax Lambda headphones. Another member on here recently informed me that those were his personal headphones (as a recording engineer), and he was there when the picture was taken. I love this forum.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #71 of 89
Quote:

A fine jazz musician named McCoy Tyner wearing a set of Stax Lambda headphones. Another member on here recently informed me that those were his personal headphones (as a recording engineer), and he was there when the picture was taken. I love this forum.

Someday I'll invest in some electrostatic cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #72 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to think that I contributed more in my post than just being disappointed by the thread title. I clearly wasn't dwelling on it, much.

You did, I just thought the intent of your post was different than it was. I think I misread your use of quotation marks, assuming you meant to mitigate his opinion rather than disagree. My post was attempting just to try and mitigate the honing in on the thread title, not necessarily a personal attack on you. I'm sorry if it seemed that way. Cheers
atsmile.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #73 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someday I'll invest in some electrostatic cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sooner the better, man. $400 gets you in the door.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #74 of 89
Quote:

Sooner the better, man. $400 gets you in the door.

are they not an absolute devil to drive though ? big horsepower amp a mandatory purchase also ?

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #75 of 89
The op brings up some valid points, maybe didn't articulate as well as he could have. I was a Senn owner/fan for many years. Got my HF-1, then SR-125 and switched to Team Grado. I think the house sound has a lot to do with HP preference. My HD580 even well amp'ed ended up being too laid back when compared to the Grados. I think most experienced Head-Fiers (not necessarily in posts but in time listening to music) have different HP for different types/genres of music; grados for rock, guitar jazz, K-340 for more complex, orchestral. DT-250 to not annoy the wife, etc. The fact that Grado has developed the HF-1 and HF-2 underline their commitment to our forum and to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back